Help with performance (probably graphic card issue)

Hi there,

I´m not a hardware expert and I need some help to determine what my problem is and how to solve it.

I only play wow and I´m lagging terribly in 25m raids, during BL/Hero my FPS would drop to 2, 5 during some fights and this is affecting my performance. I´m currently raiding 10m but I plan to raid Mythic once 6.0 drops so I need to solve this problem.

Like I said, I´m not an expert but if I had to guess I´d say my biggest issue is my graphic card.

What do you guys think?
    Any suggestions of a better graphic card? I have a really low budget atm: USD150-180.

Thanks for your help/sugestions.

This is my pc:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU
    Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz - Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (8-8-8-24)

Motherboard
    MSI P55-CD53 (MS-7586) (CPU1)

Graphics
    SyncMaster (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Elitegroup)

Storage
    232GB Seagate ST3250820AS ATA Device (SATA)
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4165B ATA Device

Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Last edited by dr00dn00b; 2014-06-24 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

Check out Tom's Heirarchy chart. Basically you need to be able to move two rows up to notice any change in graphics performance.

My build was very similar to yours. I have the i5-750 instead of the i7, less memory and I went from the 460 (256 bit not 192) to a 670 last year to improve 25 man performance. I had to overclock the i5 to get the most out of the 670. Good news is the lynnfield chips are good overclockers. I got mine from 2.67 base with 3.2 Turbo (ie stock settings) to 3.8 without changing any voltage at all or increasing temps very much, and I know there are people that got i5-750 well over 4.0 using only air cooling. Anyway do some research on the i7-860, I'm pretty sure you can get similar results with that chip as well.

Hell you might want to overclock the comp before you look at videocards see if that improves your performance at all. WoW is still a pretty processor dependent game.

Good Luck, hopefully you can squeeze just a little more life out of your lynnfield. I know I have had great luck with mine!

Humm. Nice! Never considered overclock! This might be a nice idea altho I never done it. Gonna look for some tutorials...

Thanks man!
    Last edited by dr00dn00b; 2014-06-24 at 04:25 AM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    Yes that would be the cheapest solution. You will see more fps gained from higher/better cpu speeds than gpu's in wow. Unless the gpu is garbage obviously.

Deleted
    This is not a troll :
    Did you try without addons ?

Additionally, you can increase your ram bandwidth by using pairs (two or four) sticks of the same size.

As reference, I've a 2500K with a GTX680, and the same problem : 2 fps on pull with hero => Not a gpu problem.
    Last edited by mmoc38b61199a9; 2014-06-24 at 03:06 PM. Reason: sentence

Deleted
    Good catch Aloryen, op how many ram sticks you got?

- - - Updated - - -

probably unlrelated to 2fps but still...

No, not a troll, why it would be?

This is my RAM spec:
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots 4
    Used memory slots 4
    Free memory slots 0
    Memory
    Type DDR3
    Size 12288 MBytes
    Channels # Dual
    DRAM Frequency 666.9 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL) 8 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 8 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 8 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 24 clocks
    Command Rate (CR) 2T
    Physical Memory
    Memory Usage 27 %
    Total Physical 12 GB
    Available Physical 8.66 GB
    Total Virtual 24 GB
    Available Virtual 20 GB

Deleted
    Ok strange, you don't see 3Gb sticks around much, if at all nowadays. They all exactly the same sticks right?

2x2gb plus 2x4gb actually.