Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, they sent you the pictures. Damn good quality for a smartphone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Ah, they sent you the pictures. Damn good quality for a smartphone.
    Its about the same quality as my S4 makes

15+ Year Old Account
    Okey so couple of things;

I think it's highly unlikely that the shop would try to screw you over with this by bending the pins themselves. I mean the returns are handled by a worker who has zero personal money involved in the business, he's just doing his work. It'd be far easier for him to send the mobo back to the manufacturer or repair instead of dealing with an angry customer.

So, damage has to A. been there before you sent it back or B. caused during the transport. In either case you are mostly screwed since you say you didn't put the plastic cover on when you sent it back unless, and here's the but, when you talked to the store before the process they did not give you any instructions on how to protect it. It's not the customers responsibility to know things like that so you should be able to plea on that. Insist that the motherboard was visibly intact before you sent it and that if any damage was caused it must have been by them.

Also if that doesn't work there's also the chance that Asus could actually cover the damage under the warranty. Just tell them that you followed the instructions when installing the CPU and handled it with utmost care. It might be that the pin was already slightly bent when you got the board and mounting the CPU just tilted it more to make it visible. Could be something they take responsibility of.

If nothing above works just make sure they send the board back and try to fix it yourself / take it to a repair shop.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless, they have your motherboard and your money. They have 2 options, replace it or send it back to you. They can't keep both. If they choose to send it back just fix the pin yourself and try that. Save yourself some time and money.

I wouldn't really consider you screwed if the pin really is the only problem, and if you fix it and it still gives you problems then try calling Asus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    just fix the pin yourself and try that.
    A bit of advice on doing so : An empty retractable ballpoint pen is an excellent tool for this. Just pull the ink thingy out, slide the empty barrel over the pin and gently straighten it out. Way easier than monkeying around with needlepoint pliers.

Just be careful not to bend it too far and get it bent the other way. Flexing it back and forth is a great way to break off the pin entirely, then you're really in trouble.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    They are not a repair store, they are just a retailer. These pictures come from their customer support
    What kind of retarded shit is that, only people who are specialized in the product can determine whether it is a factory fault or that you broke it. How can a person who doesn't know how the product works determine if you broke it or not.

Call your credit card or debit card company and explain the situation, they'll get your money back no questions asked, especially if the retailer has the product in their possession.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    What kind of retarded shit is that, only people who are specialized in the product can determine whether it is a factory fault or that you broke it. How can a person who doesn't know how the product works determine if you broke it or not.
    Because those people in retail are told to look for 1-2 things on a returned motherboard. If the OP didn't even bother to put a cover back over the socket, it would be the 1st thing I would check too. Those pins are incredibly easy to bend. If you don't have the something covering the socket, you are asking for the same thing the OP is going through.
    :::: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d w/ NZXT Kraken Elite 240
    :::: MSI Meg X670E Tomahawk
    :::: 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 6000mt/s CL36 DDR5
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Windows 11 Pro

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lloose View Post
    Because those people in retail are told to look for 1-2 things on a returned motherboard. If the OP didn't even bother to put a cover back over the socket, it would be the 1st thing I would check too. Those pins are incredibly easy to bend. If you don't have the something covering the socket, you are asking for the same thing the OP is going through.
    Did the retailer give instructions on how to send it back is the question then.

I would give them a little hell. Ask them what proof they had and if they wanted to put that proof in writing before I went to the manufacturer. Whenever you ask for something in writing they usually just hand you a new box with a new part and handle the exchange themselves. Retail loves to sell, hates to take returns, and hates to deal with manufacturers even more. But all those things are trumped by them not wanting to deal with bad press or lawyers. Asking for their explanation in writing is usually the first step in their alarm system for those 2 things.

I use it all the time and I would never sue a merchant. I am not big enough of an asshole to do it and honestly to lazy. But no problems in pushing the buttons to make them think differently. If they call the bluff the worst case is you are just left where you are at afterwards. Personally returning it to the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2014-06-26 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    when you talked to the store before the process they did not give you any instructions on how to protect it. It's not the customers responsibility to know things like that so you should be able to plea on that.
    But it is your responsibility to know that. Most boards come with a yellow or black warning sticker right on the cover. The warning on the cover is repeated again in the documentation that came with the board. I've only owned Gigabyte and Asus boards but I can't imagine it being different with other manufacturers.

Never hurts to try and play dumb but I would not expect it work if the board was returned without the cover in place.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

15+ Year Old Account
    I got the board back today and fixed the issue, such headache over a bend pin..

http://i.imgur.com/mjHwB2V.jpg