Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

North Korea threatens war over Seth Rogen's movie

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28014069

A North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said in state media that the movie's release would be an "act of war".

He did not mention the title, but a Hollywood movie called The Interview with a similar plot is due in October.

Hollywood actors James Franco and Seth Rogen star in the action-comedy film.

They play a talkshow host and his producer who are invited to interview Kim Jong-un, and are subsequently recruited by the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to assassinate the leader.

The film's teaser trailer, posted on Youtube, shows a lookalike actor playing Kim Jong-un, as well as fight scenes involving what appear to be North Korean tanks and helicopters, and a nuclear missile launch.

The North Korea spokesman was quoted by the state KCNA news agency as saying: "Making and releasing a movie on a plot to hurt our top-level leadership is the most blatant act of terrorism and war and will absolutely not be tolerated."

He added that the "reckless US provocative insanity" of mobilising a "gangster filmmaker" to challenge the North's leadership was triggering "a gust of hatred and rage" among North Korean people and soldiers.

"If the US administration allows and defends the showing of the film, a merciless counter-measure will be taken," the spokesman was quoted as saying.

Apparent evidence emerged last week supporting claims that North Korea is further developing its missile technology. Some experts said they had identified a new anti-ship cruise missile shown in a North Korean propaganda film. Other observers were more sceptical.

North Korea is holding three Americans in custody. The latest to be detained is said to be a tourist named Jeffrey Edward Fowle who reportedly left a Bible at a hotel.

Rogen, one of the directors of The Interview, recently said he was inspired by journalists' trips to North Korea.

He told Yahoo: "People have the hypothetical discussion about how journalists have access to the world's most dangerous people, and they hypothetically would be in a good situation to assassinate them."

He added that the film was originally about meeting Kim Jong-il, but they had to revise the script when he died in 2011 and his son Kim Jong-un took power.
    I know his movies are anything but funny, but damm NK you just had to make empty threats.
    What do you guys think? Personally i think their bravado and propaganda are pretty hilarious (while the movie itself prob is not).

The movie probably sucks, and NK's reaction is laughable. Hell, even China's recently been like, "Dude, cool your shit."

I know this sounds terrible, and it probably is, but I personally think it would be for the better if North Korea was quickly obliterated. It could be easily done given how weak they are, and China is really no longer tolerating their awful shenanigans. Those poor people have been brainwashed beyond repair. I'm tired of seeing that fat, bowl-headed dipshit being praised as a god. Hell if I had the chance that Dennis Rodman did I would have shot Kim Jong-Un and than done myself in.

He has no excuse, he was educated in western society. He deserves nothing but a painful death.

lol why are they so upset!?

Haha. Yeah they are totally going to go to war with America over a movie. Seriously though, they obviously know they would be turned into a pile of dust if they went to war which makes it even more funny.

Stockpiles of food ran out again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainepie View Post
    lol why are they so upset!?
    NK(and Kim Fatman Un) is like a crying baby with a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Nah, FOX news is a good source of information but everyone has their flaws so they can have some "yellow" material from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Something MAC-adress something
    I dont even use a Mac.. I use a PC.

Diddle, i confess that i don't know much about North Korea and their current situtation, but it does seem to be a bit more complicated than "invade them cuz their poor dumb people worship this monster as a god and they're brainwashed".

15+ Year Old Account
    Arent those nutties busy piloting their 40 year old rusty submarine and taking pictures of their chubby little dictator?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Best Korea not going to take your shit anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    Diddle, i confess that i don't know much about North Korea and their current situtation, but it does seem to be a bit more complicated than "invade them cuz their poor dumb people worship this monster as a god and they're brainwashed".
    This is true, and China would never allow it based on principle. Feels good to vent sometimes though

Sadly I just can't imagine their situation getting any better without significant violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I know this sounds terrible, and it probably is, but I personally think it would be for the better if North Korea was quickly obliterated. It could be easily done given how weak they are
    Problem is, in the short time it would take to eliminate North Korea, a significant portion of Seoul would be reduced to rubble, as it's within artillery range of the border.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I think that's about the best free publicity anyone could give that movie.

Deleted
    What was their reaction to Team America?

It must have been just as hilarious as their reaction to this movie.

There's an extent to with the NK government and people don't necessarily realize that in the U.S., people don't have to get federal approval for films.

To them, it's possible they're seeing it as "The U.S. has okayed this film, so obviously they agree with it's sentiments."

Don't forget they don't have non-filtered media over there.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    I know this sounds terrible, and it probably is, but I personally think it would be for the better if North Korea was quickly obliterated. It could be easily done given how weak they are, and China is really no longer tolerating their awful shenanigans. Those poor people have been brainwashed beyond repair. I'm tired of seeing that fat, bowl-headed dipshit being praised as a god. Hell if I had the chance that Dennis Rodman did I would have shot Kim Jong-Un and than done myself in.

He has no excuse, he was educated in western society. He deserves nothing but a painful death.
    when you say shit like this, you're either ignoring all the innocent people who don't want to be there but have no choice, or you're idiotic enough to believe that a country is its government

people are all about killing off everyone when they don't REALLY think about everyone. the reason war fucks people up so bad isn't the killing, but its all the normal, everyday people you see that you killed/will have to kill/might kill that are caught in the middle. you realize that you're killing innocent people for no good reason and it tears you up.

i didn't know one guy who had issues killing a bad guy. the way some cope is to call them all bad guys though. that's basically what your'e doing. "nuke all them bad guys"

when in reality, it's 1% bad guy, 99% folks like me and you

the people who give the orders to kill should ALWAYS have to kill. it's a lot different. it's like eating meat, how many hamburgers would you eat if you had to slit the cow's throat and drain it of blood while it screamed in fear (yeah, they scream). the actual labor of it all aside, it would change how you felt about it

it's worse when you're talking about innocent people

Deleted
    TBH I can see how they how they could be upset over a extremely anal anti terrorist country making a wide audience commedy movie about how funny it is to try assassinate another country's leader. Is it a pro terrorist film? I'm guessing it shows terrorism in a very light hearted way but I havent seen the film.

Imagine if a middle east country made a wide spread comedy movie about destroying the two towers a year after it happened or assassinating the american president. There would be uproar.

NK said something, what else is new. move on people.

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerOnly View Post
    There's an extent to with the NK government and people don't necessarily realize that in the U.S., people don't have to get federal approval for films.

To them, it's possible they're seeing it as "The U.S. has okayed this film, so obviously they agree with it's sentiments."

Don't forget they don't have non-filtered media over there.
    the people who see it aren't idiots. they're smarter than the average poster here. they know their threats are their power and they know it's not scary to everyone, but believe it or not those threats scare US Citizens more than SK citizens.

all they're doing is political trolling

Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post
    when you say shit like this, you're either ignoring all the innocent people who don't want to be there but have no choice, or you're idiotic enough to believe that a country is its government

people are all about killing off everyone when they don't REALLY think about everyone. the reason war fucks people up so bad isn't the killing, but its all the normal, everyday people you see that you killed/will have to kill/might kill that are caught in the middle. you realize that you're killing innocent people for no good reason and it tears you up.

i didn't know one guy who had issues killing a bad guy. the way some cope is to call them all bad guys though. that's basically what your'e doing. "nuke all them bad guys"

when in reality, it's 1% bad guy, 99% folks like me and you

the people who give the orders to kill should ALWAYS have to kill. it's a lot different. it's like eating meat, how many hamburgers would you eat if you had to slit the cow's throat and drain it of blood while it screamed in fear (yeah, they scream). the actual labor of it all aside, it would change how you felt about it

it's worse when you're talking about innocent people
    Nearly all of the North Korean people are innocent, that's why it is so tragic - they either are brainwashed into the whole "kim jong-un is god" bit or they are trapped in a dictatorship. Like I said earlier, regardless of where it originates I just can't imagine their society changing without violence (given their military are the only people well off in the country to ensure loyalty).