In need of some advice on parts for my new rig.

Hi guys, I'll hopefully be putting together a new rig in the next couple of weeks(current one is going on 6 years... but it was top end when I made it). I live in Australia and will generally be doing all my buying through Umart for convenience as the store is just around the corner from me. Here are my preliminary ideas for parts.

CPU: Intel I7-4790K, 4.00GHZ, 4CORES, 8THREADS, 8MB CACHE, LGA1150 --> $415
    GPU: SAPPHIRE R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X OC VERSION; 1040MHz/5200MHz --> $705
    RAM: G Skill 16G ( 2 x 8G ) DDR3 1600MHZ PC3 --> $199
    Motherboard: A Z97, no idea which one though. ~~> $250
    SSD: Samsung 256GB SSD 840BW Pro SATA3 2.5 --> $228
    : OR - Samsung 250GB SSD 840 EVO SATA III 6Gbs 2.5 --> $158
    HDD: Western Digital Green WD20EZRX 3.5" CAVIAR GREEN, 2TB --> $93
    : OR - Seagate SATA3 3TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache --> $125
    PSU: CoolerMaster 1000W Silent Pro Gold Modular --> $249
    Case: CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black --> $199
    CPU Cooling: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro --> $85

Current total (not including motherboard) ~~ $2150

I am working with a budget of around $2500. The machine will be used for gaming (max settings, graphical mods for things like Skyrim etc.), video encoding and some mathematical computations (large matrix calculations etc).

My major concerns are compatibility and optimization. I had an issue between my motherboard and graphics last build (needed to update the bios + some other stuff) that I would like to avoid. I also have no idea which motherboard to go with, other than it being a Z97 for the processor.

Appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks.

ps. If I have left anything out, please let me know.

1000w may be a bit overkill for the build also i wouldnt recommend the green series from WD blue or black.
    not saying its a good idea but lots of R9 290 on ebay for cheap of you want to try your luck. (290 oc is pretty close to a 290x)

Thanks for the tip on the HDD. With the PSU I figured that since it is modular there will be room for expansion (maybe a second GPU) without the need to upgrade it as well. Think I will stick with the 290x since I dont mind the price and with it running stock clock it should be easier to cool.