builds for fresh 70lvl characters

hi there - I have a very noobish question, I play D3 very casually get bored after couple of weeks, take few months break and come back for some carnage and so on.

What I am struggling with is finding a guide on how to play any given class effectively shortly after hitting 70. What I am saying is there are lots of guides and builds for T6 revolving around particular set of items however I tend to struggle one step before that - where I need a build to effectively farm those items.

So my question really boils down to how should I go about when gearing my characters and where should I look for non gear dependable builds for T1-3? (if you really want to simplify it for me, I'm looking for builds for DH, Crusader and Wizard - that are currently just fresh 70lvl)

thanks for all your help

10+ Year Old Account
    Find a legendary you like and then make a build around it.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

Deleted
    In this post I'll assume you don't have a single legendary with a special effect on it, nor any blacksmith recipes.

You should start by testing every ability, and finding the ones you like and sticking with them.

Then you should start to craft some gear.
    You should try to craft as good of a weapon as you can, and it should have your main stat, a socket and then bonus damage, although you're just fine with just 2 of these.
    After that you should try crafting the "trifecta" gloves, that is your main stat (Dex, Int, Str), Attack Speed, Critical Hit Chance, and Critical Hit Damage.
    Then the wrist slot, which should roll something close to bonus to some element, main stat, All Resistance/Vitality, Critical Hit Chance.
    And then there is the helm. You should try to get one with main stat, Vitality, Critical Hit Chance, and a Socket.

Then for the rest of the gear.
    You should try to get a chest that has 3 sockets, and put either your main stat (Ruby, Topaz, Emerald), or All Resistance (Diamonds)* in them if your toughness feels too low. Same goes for pants but instead of 3 gem slots you can have only 2.
    For your belt, you should try to get main stat, Vitality and All Resist.
    Boots should have main stat, Vitality, Movement Speed, and All Resistance, although the chances of getting all of these is kind of low, you are fine with just 3 of them.

You can also craft both rings and neck piece, and you should try to get the trifecta roll on them too, but I generally find that I'm drowning in rings/necks that have decent enough rolls so that I can just ignore crafting them.

*I intentionally left Amethysts out here, because when you're just trying to get the "general starting set" you'll have Vitality coming out of your ears, and generally be pretty low on Resistances.
    And I also left out the %Skill Damage rolls, you should obviously try to get as big of a bonus to a single skill as you can, but when just starting out trying to get to Torment 1-3 you should not care too much about that. And same kind of goes for Elemental Bonuses, you should try to get as much as possible but usually they only come from legendary items that drop.

For every class you should try to farm a Ring of Royal Grandeur from Act 1 bounties.
    This ring is basically the backbone to almost every build, as it gives you a bit of freedom with your gear sets.

ALSO the new Legendary Gems are bloody awesome. Try to put them to use.

And then here is my Crusader rant/tip section/whatever you want to call this. I would do the same for Demon Hunters but since I haven't played DH in a while I would rather stay quiet than speak out of my arse.

I'll start by saying you absolutely need to farm a weapon/shield that gives you a special effect to some skill. And I wish I was kidding.

Crusaders have this silly problem of having like 7 builds "locked" behind item drops.
    I mean sure, you can just get a lot of holy damage , or even with 0 holy damage, and go something like This and sure you'll be able to clear like Torment 3 with it, but if you try to compare that to say the almost identical build with Darklight, you're effectively missing half of your potential damage.

So you should try to get a weapon (A Scourge is fine too) that has an effect that boosts/changes your skills, and then gear around that. And if you're doing some build that deals holy damage, I recommend you try to build a Hallowed Barricade if you can, it's a really good Holy shield as it always rolls holy damage every time.

The general idea with Crusader gearing is that you should aim to have a lot of Cooldown Reduction, as that allows you to have nearly 100% uptime on Akarat's Champion with the Akkhan 6 set bonus, and because almost every single of our skills outside of the main spenders have 20+ sec CDs.

Easy way to get CDR is to build Captain Crimson's Boots and Belt. These 2 items (With the Ring of Royal Grandeur) give you 10% Cooldown Reduction and Resource Cost Reduction AND some Life Regen and little bit of bonus resistances, not a bad deal for 2 items.
    Other good items are the new buffed Leoric's Crown which has the highest possible Cooldown Reduction of any item, and Vigilante Belt.

Obviously this is getting to the point of min-maxing your item set, but even as a "casual" player, I don't see why you shouldn't do it.

Looking back at this, my god it is a wall of text.

Hopefully this helps, feel free to ask questions.
    Last edited by mmocb00de5a34b; 2014-09-01 at 02:52 PM.

thank you - that was extremely helpful.
    question regarding stats on gear - was that info pertaining gearing up crusader or is it viable for any character?

First part about "trifecta's" and stats on gear pieces is universal, Crusader part is spot on in my experience (i haven't had one weapon drop for my crusader, however I managed to scrap by with andariel's visage, thundergod's vigor, and high +lightning damage neck and bracers up to T3, after is pretty much brick wall so far).

Second part about gearing is that is best to focus on one specific elemental type (cold, arcane, fire, poison, lightning, holy and physical), most of skills have specific runes for different elemental damage (you can roll elemental damage on bracers, there are multiple different legendaries that can roll +elemental damage but that's advanced gearing). I think Malthael has a high chance of dropping plans for Reaper's Wraps, they are really good starting bracers.

Deleted
    Yeah sorry for the late reply, had to run off for a while.

As cudomix pointed out, the trifecta part applies to every class. It's the best combination of stats for damage generally.

And I also forgot to mention about those Reaper's Wraps. You should try to get the plan from Malthael, the drop chance is quite high and I've always got it on the first try (after they buffed it back in 2.0.2 or something). They have a good passive effect which restores a good chunk of your resource every time you pick up a health globe which makes bursting elites a lot easier as you can just dance between globes.