10+ Year Old Account

Question about FF 14

I play on a satellite connection and as a result a lot of online games are out of the question for me. I can play WoW, with the exception of pvp and heroic raids, but I could do anything up to and including normal. I could play Diablo 3 well most of the time and there is a few others I can play well enough.

My question is this: Do you all think I could play Final Fantasy 14 on satellite? I don't expect perfection just a similar experience to WoW. I have seen threads on here recently about patch 2.3 (?) I think and would liek to give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

You could likely play thru most of the game, but endgame content specifically Titan and Leviathan Hard Modes and Ex are likely going to be out. Simply because they rely on one shot mechanic (or damn near in-case of leviathan) that require good ping to avoid. I'd honestly say give it a shot, as the game is on sale right now during the steam summer sale for 14.99.

For the price the game is now and just how much of the game you can play just fine without your connection getting in the way, I say get it. You won't regret it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably ok. This game is extremely scripted and once you learn a fight, even with a bit of lag, it's pathetically easy. Everyone claims Titan is insanely hard, but at this point I could almost do it blindfolded. (Ok, probably not, but you get the point lol)
    Last edited by Arkenaw; 2014-06-27 at 06:22 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can just eat the AoE attacks in "normal" content and in causal raids like Crystal Tower (those that you can't eat, they give you ample time to dodge). Don't recommend "raider" raiding if you don't have a good enough latency to dodge reliably - in most of those raids AoE can take off almost all your life; you will die over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    It's probably ok. This game is extremely scripted and once you learn a fight, even with a bit of lag, it's pathetically easy. Everyone claims Titan is insanely hard, but at this point I could almost do it blindfolded. (Ok, probably not, but you get the point lol)
    Can't dodge those "plume" type AoEs to save my life - literally. In WoW I avg 200ms latency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and got it last night and let it download and patch. Tried it out for a sec before work and it seemed to work well enough for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I play on mobile broadband and for me this game is very playable BUT I do struggle later in the game. Titan normal for example on my screen im well out of the bad death lines. According to the game I'm not and get killed.

If you start having issues like that try WTFast. I was skeptical about it but it's made FF14 playable at end game for me. Without it my lag makes me get hit by everything

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

10+ Year Old Account
    How does those things like WTFast work? I have heard of them since WoW but I always thought they don't really do anything.

My connection is OK, only asking it as I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    How does those things like WTFast work? I have heard of them since WoW but I always thought they don't really do anything.

My connection is OK, only asking it as I am curious.

makes your connection go through the private servers WTFast uses, it's the only option for people who can't change/upgrade internet providers
    Last edited by ptolemy66t; 2014-06-28 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I thought the same thing at first but I realised that yes. It's actually doing something. when on my normal internet connection I move out of bad lines and I still get hit, while WTFast is running I move out of bad lines and magically i'm not getting whalloped anymore.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ptolemy66t View Post
    it's the only option for people who can't change/upgrade internet providers
    So for people that already don't have connection issue it won't really do much for them? Was wondering will it reduce all latency even further.

If you like playing the markets and having an actual game with rotations for crafting, deciding on your best things to make, what to sell, what you need to make high quality items and raking in the gil (gold), connection won't matter.

But for raiding, it will be a bit of a pain. Still, like others said, I'd say give it a shot.