10+ Year Old Account

Stock CPU Fan alright for now?

I've just ordered all the parts I could afford, and I sorta didn't have enough to get the CPU cooler that I wanted. It was either get Windows 7 and have a pretty computer that can't be used, or an operating system that will let me use the almost pretty computer until I can make it completely pretty. The processor in question is an i5 4670k. I have every intention of overclocking it, but I'm not the right type of insane to do that when I'm going to be forced to use the stock CPU fan for a couple of weeks until payday. I do still plan on playing games on it though.

My only concern is, will the stock fan be enough to keep the CPU safely cooled while I play my video games? (WoW, Wildstar on a GTX 770) Or should I take it easy on the poor bastard until the CPU cooler can get here?

Deleted
    Stock Fan is designed for everyday usage on the processor. So gaming, Video editing, Video playback Anything will be fine.
    Just don't start OC'ing till you get a decent cooler.

What the man above me said.

And a great CPU, i might add, I am more than happy with it.

I had a similar question regarding a CPU cooler for mild overclock on the same CPU ( 4 Ghz ), I was advised that a Hyper 212 Evo, would cool it just fine at that clock speed. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ohmygonzo; 2014-06-27 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyouweed View Post
    What the man above me said.

And a great CPU, i might add, I am more than happy with it.

I had a similar question regarding a CPU cooler for mild overclock on the same CPU ( 4 Ghz ), I was advised that a Hyper 212 Evo, would cool it just fine at that clock speed. Hope this helps.

Yeah! I read your post before I posted in hopes that I'd find my answer there lol I'm going with a 240mm radiator option, I kind of need the airflow in my case, otherwise I'd be looking more seriously at those ginormous CPU fans. How easy was it to OC your i5?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopajoo View Post
    Yeah! I read your post before I posted in hopes that I'd find my answer there lol I'm going with a 240mm radiator option, I kind of need the airflow in my case, otherwise I'd be looking more seriously at those ginormous CPU fans. How easy was it to OC your i5?
    Still a little less than two weeks until my paycheck arrives, so I didn't clock anything yet, but it can't possibly go wrong on 4Ghz, its a very mild overclock, considering people got this one up to 4.5-4.6.

What are your overclocking wishes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyouweed View Post
    Still a little less than two weeks until my paycheck arrives, so I didn't clock anything yet, but it can't possibly go wrong on 4Ghz, its a very mild overclock, considering people got this one up to 4.5-4.6.

What are your overclocking wishes?
    To start small and get as high as the system can while remaining stable!!!

Deleted
    would really hold off till you get your desired cooler before doing any OC'ing.
    Sure the cooler may be good enough for a small OC, However it would be fool hardy to start running your CPU hotter than necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    would really hold off till you get your desired cooler before doing any OC'ing.
    Sure the cooler may be good enough for a small OC, However it would be fool hardy to start running your CPU hotter than necessary.
    I don't plan on overclocking at all until I get an aftermarket CPU cooler.Way too much risk for way too little reward. I sincerely doubt I'll even feel the need or desire to overclock before getting the CPU cooler considering that I'm upgrading from a Phenom II X6 1090T lol I'll be happy as can be with the difference in performance during the 'honeymoon' phase. Thanks for making sure I'm not a total goober though