Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

GTX780 being "overkill" for WoW

OK, so I've seen the statement and head-shaking more than once on this forum about people putting 780 or 780Ti in a build that's mainly for WoW, saying, "Why do people overkill??"

I'll be putting together a new build this summer with a focus toward 20-man Mythic raiding in Warlords of Draenor. Is it a certainty that a 780/780Ti will still be "overkill" in the new expansion? Would I be better served putting that money elsewhere? Or is there even any way to know yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    OK, so I've seen the statement and head-shaking more than once on this forum about people putting 780 or 780Ti in a build that's mainly for WoW, saying, "Why do people overkill??"

I'll be putting together a new build this summer with a focus toward 20-man Mythic raiding in Warlords of Draenor. Is it a certainty that a 780/780Ti will still be "overkill" in the new expansion? Would I be better served putting that money elsewhere? Or is there even any way to know yet?
    Mmm, I have a 780 Ti, but... I play a lot of other games besides WoW.

Do I think it's overkill? No, because I can afford it.... and I don't have to worry about upgrading for a while.

If you are only building a rig to play WoW do I think it's overkill? Yeah.... unless you can afford it.... the card has to work less to chug out WoW at peak performance... so why get a card that has to work harder thereby decreasing its' overall lifespan?

This debate can go 1000 different directions, and we can start talking about the technology in a 780 versus the technology supporting the backbone of the WoW engine... but it doesn't really matter.

Ultimately (my opinion) : Isn't it nice to have a rig you can just throw anything at, in terms of games, should you so desire? Shouldn't matter what the rest of us think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Well I'm running dual GTX 780's... but I do run a resolution of 5920X 1080 over 3 screens for WoW (and other games). personally, I don't find it overkill. They are improving a lot of the models and overall graphics with WoD so I think you'll be fine running a 780. 780 Ti might be a bit much, but if you can afford it, and want something that you won't have to replace in roughly 3-4 years, then it will also be a good pick.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the question is, why bother limiting yourself to ONLY WoW if you're going to spend the money on a 780/780ti? It's capable of so much more games and I don't see anyone playing only a single game. I'm sure there is more you would enjoy playing on a computer considering with a card like that it would look so much better than consoles.

As for the overkill argument, it's only because after a certain point you won't see a different in performance between GPUs since WoW is so CPU dependent. I remember playing WoW with a GTX 570, and saw absolutely no difference between that and 2 770s in SLI.

My only advice is that if you have the money to buy a card like that, don't limit yourself to just WoW. Get a high end intel i5/i7 processor for the best WoW performance. Past probably a 750ti there isn't much improving you can do performance wise, so be sure to take advantage of your hardware.

System requirements will NOT go up with WOD. That has been pretty much blue confirmed some time ago.

Infact req's for wow might be lower than now with the new...data file thingie? you know that they talked about some time ago, and then ofcourse continued improvements inn the background to make the game smoother.

Also didnt they do something with spell abbilities from other people inn wod?

Anywho...If you only play WoW, yes its overkill, but there is also some things called Fure-proofing and pride off ownership....You know what I mean, having a awesome 2k dollar PC makes you enjoy it more....Like having a fancy car or whatever, even if your old one did the same or so.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Seeing as everything above 560 can run everything on ultra (except shadows) I'd say a 780 is somewhat overkill if you're not planning on playing anything else.
    I've no idea what to write here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overkill =/= Bad

You could get super technical with a WoW-onny gaming PC, but you don't have to. Your 780 will last for years and give you access to many other games, all running at a great framerate, WoW included.

You needn't pay so much attention to someone's opinion of your build when it's going to satisfy your needs.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    System requirements will NOT go up with WOD. That has been pretty much blue confirmed some time ago.

Infact req's for wow might be lower than now with the new...data file thingie? you know that they talked about some time ago, and then ofcourse continued improvements inn the background to make the game smoother.

Also didnt they do something with spell abbilities from other people inn wod?

Anywho...If you only play WoW, yes its overkill, but there is also some things called Fure-proofing and pride off ownership....You know what I mean, having a awesome 2k dollar PC makes you enjoy it more....Like having a fancy car or whatever, even if your old one did the same or so.
    Think about it...

Characters models and creature models with way more detail...of course you need a better machine for WoD.
    They even let you choose old character models in case your PC can't handle the new ones.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ucplayer View Post
    Think about it...

Characters models and creature models with way more detail...of course you need a better machine for WoD.
    They even let you choose old character models in case your PC can't handle the new ones.
    And spell reflects at the same time get toned down alot and 25 becomes 20. I could argue that this change could have more impact on gpu than the new model details.... Point is even if does get abit more gpu intensive won't even be 10% more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post

I play WoW on max everything (except shadows, no point imo, they're just on 'good') inc 8xFXAA @1920x1080 on a GTX760 and an i5 @4GHz. My fps hardly drops below 40fps during a LFR with lots of stuff going off, most of the times it's stable at 60+ (V-sync). Graphicscard temperatures touch 60 degrees C, but unless it's baking outside it won't go over it. It idles at 29-30 degrees C.

Overkill? I'd rather call it luxury. I wouldn't pay for a big graphicscard purely for WoW, unless you've got the surplus budget ofc. I play more demanding games than WoW so my card doesn't go to 'waste'.
    Last edited by Vayshan; 2014-06-28 at 10:27 PM.

Deleted
    If the machine is purely aimed at WoW/diablo3/steam indie games, then yes. A 780 is overkill for that. As other have said, a 270x/760 will be more then enough for that.

Do you play other graphically intensive games (think BF4/Watch Dogs and the like) than a 780 is a good buy. I would personally go for a 290 but that is more price/performance wise

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
    Ultimately (my opinion) : Isn't it nice to have a rig you can just throw anything at, in terms of games, should you so desire? Shouldn't matter what the rest of us think.
    I couldn't agree more, I mainly use my rig to play World of Warcraft but sometimes I like to play the newer AAA "I'm going to blow up your rig if you don't have a four way SLI" games and I like playing with max graphics so I throw in the extra buck in ram, and video card to be sure I can still enjoy newer games as best as they can be while also playing my favourite game of all time.
    | Mokenuf | Varianna | Devona | Katzine | Gokkash | Vëcna | Shaggra | Snookí | Vekuh | Segath | Zhìyù | Sierenna | Tyranikus |

10+ Year Old Account
    For people that purely play WoW / Blizzard games, which is quite a bit, a 780 for $500 is not worth it because you're not bounded to the CPU. You could have quad SLI GTX 780Ti and it'd still run like crap when the situation goes nuts (lots of stuff occur on the screen simultaneously).

Even with the new model and texture, it's not going to be enough to stress the GPU by any means.

It isn't so much that it's overkill so much as it is that you're spending more money on something you'll gain no benefits from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres a few things to consider. "Overkill" is regarded into two areas.

1) Where a budget is limited, and the money can be put elsewhere that benefits better
    2) The person states that they ONLY play WoW, and promise they will never lay eyes on another game

If they play other games, or budget allows, theres no real harm in getting a nice card.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it overkill for WoW? FUCK YES! Does it matter? No. Any game that you ever buy, you should always overkill. I don't use the word overkill, i use the word "Safe". I am tempted to get the 780ti but I mostly play WoW. I got a 680 and I run at max and keeping everything usually at 45-70fps. WoW itself (unless they are changing it) is a game based on your CPU for the bulk of stuff. It only Uses 2 threads as well. If you want to get the absolute best you can out of WoW, Make sure your CPU is up to snuff (I have a amd fx-8150 OC'd to 4.1ghz which is nothing to brag about, but it gets the job done) Far Cry 4 is on the horizon and i might not be able to keep up with my cpu or gpu, so i should've went for "Safe" and got the 780ti. Do whatever you thinks will make you safe for your gaming habits. Plus the 800 series is right around the corner. I would wait to get a release date of WOD before i sink that much money into a single card.
    CPU :- AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
    Ram :- 32GB GeIL super luce rgb 3000Mhz
    Mobo :- TUF 570x wifi
    GPU :- Strix 2080ti OC
    Cooling :- NZXT z73 Kraken 360

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBoss View Post
    Plus the 800 series is right around the corner. I would wait to get a release date of WOD before i sink that much money into a single card.
    It's currently pegged late Q4, so sometime between late November to December. So that could be anywhere from 5-6 months from now (it's going to be a while). There's also the fact that the all but confirmed specs put the 880 only at about a 10%~ performance advantage. Lower clock speeds and a 256bit membus would likely negate nearly the entire gap from a 780 Ti to an 880.

That said, the true upgrades from GK110 (Titan, Titan Black, 780 and 780 Ti) will likely come at a later date, just as the aforementioned cards had with the 700 line.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    System requirements are meant for people who play at lowest graphical settings, that shouldn't change. They might however raise the maximum graphical details which means that requirements for those might go up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really only play WoW, and I have a EVGA 780, and sure it's overkill, but I have the money, and I like the finer things in life, I really don't like settling for less, what's it anyone's business?

If you wanna be able to stick to ultra settings, it sure as hell does go up, alpha and now beta confirms that pretty hard.

SSAO on the new ultra setting, GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    If you wanna be able to stick to ultra settings, it sure as hell does go up, alpha and now beta confirms that pretty hard.

SSAO on the new ultra setting, GL.
    Ofcourse, ultra settings. But I was not quit reffering to that but yea else its true.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO