Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

"you're a hunter, you play the easiest class in the game"

now I'm not saying our class is hard by any means (BM definitely has more of a learning curve to play very well than survival), but don't you think there are some classes that come to mind that are easier than us? I mean c'mon, shadow priest anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    TBH though, does any class actually take skill these days?

And considering they are lowering the skill cap for a lot of classes come WoD, what class won't be easy?

This is coming from a destro lock where everything boils down to how well you can line up your spells with your trinkets and how lucky you are.

Ehhh hunters are the easiest class to level...Overall I would say it's the easiest. But I say Elemental shaman is the easiest spec in the game. Overall I would say it is the easiest though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    BM definitely has more of a learning curve to play very well than survival
    Hmm that's not true though at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    High skill cap in pvp. Takes ridiculous amounts of binds and macros. I have around 60 on mine.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

I find my hunter a little harder to play than my mage, at least I have to pay a little attention to focus where I never run out of mana. I do enjoy the mobility of the hunter though.

frost dk and hunters yeah

but hunters will always be easier than any melee class tbh

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only play a hunter these days by choice, no other class is even close for me as far as fun goes. Every class is easy enough to learn. But excelling within any class and spec always takes skill.

Who cares how easy the entry-level to a class/spec is? That doesn't get you anywhere raiding-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapax View Post
    Who cares how easy the entry-level to a class/spec is? That doesn't get you anywhere raiding-wise.
    Considering how many people struggle with "entry-level" mechanics, it probably would get you through most of the heroics

10+ Year Old Account
    the one who told you that is correct hunters kinda suck

i played a hunter in tbc was my first character, back then I was a teen and I didnt use binds and TBC was a totally different game than what we have now.

So i made a new hunter in warlords because i was very disatisfied with the state of Rogues as a pvp class in season 12.

I got to 90 in two weeks and got the season 12 rare honor gear with upgraded item level. Then I quit her and never touched her again the rest of the expansion.

I found playing a hunter quite stressful. Instead of traps why cant we just have a target cast CC that cant miss instead like everyone else?

couldnt stand trying to place traps, couldnt get the hang of it and I was appauled by the amount of pet managment and number of binds and macros required.

Went back to playing a rogue despite how shit they were.

Hunters arent easy they just are not shit, they do big damage, They have good cc and utility.

Deleted
    I find every class easy to play...

I feel like people say this because its "easy" to do decent damage with most of the ability damage homogenized, making a mistake in what you cast doesnt have a huge impact. Pretty much all specs are straight forward on how to play, it does take some time to master them though.

This bugs the hell out of me, along with people who say class X is overpowered because they're playing with a good player. In my previous guild I had a warrior constantly say hunters and ret pallys are so OP and warriors haven't been good since WotLK. wat.

now I'm not saying our class is hard by any means (BM definitely has more of a learning curve to play very well than survival), but don't you think there are some classes that come to mind that are easier than us? I mean c'mon, shadow priest anyone?
    I am 90 in all classes and play them all reasonably actively (or have done at some point in the expansion).

Hunter might not be one of the easiest to play, but it is definitely one of the easiest to do well at, both in PvP and PvE. I think it comes largely from the lack of punishment from moving meaning the opportunity cost of movement is incredibly low for hunter, to the point of non-existence.

Mechanically the rotations of other specs (elemental shaman, arcane mage, destro lock) come to mind as being "simpler" than hunter is in terms of resource management, but making mistakes on all of those is also much more punishing, and the opportunity to make a mistake is much more frequent.

I would definitely not put shadow priest in the top pile of "easy" classes to manage.

High skill cap in pvp. Takes ridiculous amounts of binds and macros. I have around 60 on mine.
    No more than any other class.

Shittons of specs are "easy" to play. All specs are "hard" to master, or there wouldn't be any competition within that spec, as everyone would play it flawlessly. Some specs will end up being harder to manage than others (feral, anyone? Azor's about to get his ass handed to him). But by no means are hunter (or, atleast BM, who doesn't get strings of "press explosive shot"-procs lasting half the fight) the "easiest". Off the top of my head -

Elemental shaman = Keep flameshock up > Lavaburst > unleash elements>Fulmination>lightningbolt. Done. No fluctating resource to keep track of (fulm stacks aren't really a factor), and Lava burst resets more often than you get LnL's, so delaying it slightly is much more forgiving than a lot of other classes (due to the CD resetting).

Spriests are also extremely straight forward:
    Keep dots up. Refresh when you've got procs/they're running out.
    Keep mind blast on CD.
    Devouring plague whenever possible.
    Mind flay as filler. Clip mind flay right before DP runs out to get the most out of solace and insanity.
    Hit the boss with SW sub 20% for the free orb for more DP.

I mean... MASTERING everything (maximizing MF:I uptime, letting dots not run out when clipping DP, max uptimes with procs etc) makes for a fairly fullfilling spec. On paper though? It's fucking simple.

All this said, a class like hunter has one of the most complex resource mechanics in the entire game - the fact that you have to play around a relatively small, fluctating resource that you can alter the generation/spendage of yourself (to the extent of spending a third of it in one global), on a 1 second GBC class, makes for a fairly hective and reasonably "hard" class.

But in the end, the reason you were told hunters are "the easiest" is probably because you don't have to plan around movement, and despite being a very, very complex/hard spec to master fully, you get extremely good results just doing vaguely well with the spec (read: Even if a player is double as good as you, if you hit kill command and glaive toss on CD, chances are he will not be able to do much more than 10-15% more dmg than you. The reward for good play is simply not very big).

Every class is easy to play. Every class is also anywhere from moderate to difficult to master.

Hunters are the easiest to level, but that doesn't make them the easiest to play end game. They ain't got nothin on Elemental Shaman.

While I do think BM hunters are fairly mindless in PvP, when I see a good MM hunter . . . holy crap. And they're very rare, which says something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    On paper though? It's fucking simple.
    Just this really. Yes on paper it's easy to use KC every 6s. In practice, 75% of BM hunters have an average 10s+ CD on KC.

With autos+pet+movement, one could argue that (BM) hunters are more forgiving to play than other classes though.

Difficulty of a spec imo is tied to the person playing it. You can't really sit and say x is easy or y is easy just by looking at their kit etc etc. Sure there are elements such as movement, interrupts and the like that do make a spec more unforgiving but they're all able to be picked up and played to a reasonable standard (idk 75th percentile?) quite easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azabondiia View Post
    Anyone who has not done heroic raiding, is John Snow - and knows nothing. It's the most unforgiving gaming experience you can imagine

Don't know about "class" but for individual specs i'd say my frost mage is a lot simpler to play than any hunter spec. I'm talking purely from a PVE perspective because I only PVE on my mage but I PVE and PVP on my hunter.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-07-01 at 09:45 AM.

Deleted
    Some points from my observations:

- Dealing damage as a hunter in pvp is very easy unless someone trains you, as hunters don't have a lot of defense except deterrence and roar of sacrifice (if you use cunning pet)
    - trapping (cc) is HARD (in a lot of situations) and CLUNKY
    - Overall I think ele shamans are a lot easier, especially their mastery and healing are super effective...