Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

UK may vote to ban selling cigarettes to anyone born after the year 2000

This is great news! I just heard about it. Apparently anyone born after the year 2000 will not be allowed to buy cigarettes if the government decides to introduce the measure. It already passed the British Medical Association, a group of doctors who will likely try to influence the governments decision.

http://bma.org.uk/news-views-analysi...orn-after-2000

http://rt.com/uk/168208-doctors-uk-smoking-ban/

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...al-association

It is not expected that this policy will instantly prevent all people from smoking, but [rather it will] de-normalize cigarette smoking. The level of harm caused by smoking is unconscionable.
    British Medical Association hails vote as step towards achieving goal of a tobacco-free society by 2035
    I think this is something incredible. What would society be like if smoking was not the norm?
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2014-07-01 at 09:21 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Well 14 year olds shouldn't be smoking in the first place tbh...

UK bans cigarettes...
    or
    Doctors have voted to demand... ?
    There is a huge difference.

Deleted
    Before anyone jumps the gun, this is not a law (yet). It is supported by some Doctors but it is unlikely to go through, this thread title is misleading.

Very good news indeed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    UK bans cigarettes...
    or
    They have made it known they WANT it to be banned, not that it will be; Although, they do hold quite some influence the likelihood of this ever being passed in law is nil.

I know the health risks of smoking, and would be willing to bet by this point everyone does. With that said I do not care if someone chooses to smoke. Laws like this are to nanny state for me. It's basically your government saying they know what is best for you. But hey my opinion on that will get me crucified around here.

Aren't cigarettes illegal for anyone under the age of 18 anyways?

sounds great. the start of a better society.

now they need to do the same thing about alcohol, drugs, and religion

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    UK bans cigarettes...
    or
    Sorry, I didn't mean to make a misleading title. It passed the motion from the British Medical Association. Now it will be up to the Government to introduce the ban. The fact that doctors passed the motion means they will be pushing for it to happen, which will be awesome.

Deleted
    I was going to say, sure I would have heard about this had it been introduced as law already. I'd love to see smoking banned but I doubt it will happen. There will be riots, the government will lose a massive amount of tax revenue and there will be so many people with withdrawal symptoms that there will probably be a new civil war.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post
    Aren't cigarettes illegal for anyone under the age of 18 anyways?
    Yah, since 07 it's illegal, before then it was 16 to buy and smoke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post

And unhealthy food, loud music, violent video games and anime.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Well 14 year olds shouldn't be smoking in the first place tbh...
    Exactly. This being passed will hopefully keep those kids off of it when they become eligible to normally purchase cigarettes. And when they have kids, the "new normal" will be not smoking.

Probably the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Now granted I'm not familiar with UK government but what right does the government have to decide this for the people? I hate smoking too, but people should have the right to decide for themselves. This is not something a government, any government, should have the right to mandate.

Bans on a product that has been around forever and is super cheap to make like this will never work.

Just tax it to shit and regulate where they can smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Before anyone jumps the gun, this is not a law (yet). It is supported by some Doctors but it is unlikely to go through, this thread title is misleading.
    Hopefully the UK knows better than that. Age restriction is ok, but an outright ban? That worked well in the US for alcohol...

Please kill me if this happens worldwide.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was awestruck until I read the first few posts and realized that UK has not voted to ban cigarettes to anyone born after the year 2000... Title should be changed to "Powerless group of doctors vote that they wish cigarettes were banned for anyone born after the year 2000".
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Exactly. This being passed will hopefully keep those kids off of it when they become eligible to normally purchase cigarettes. And when they have kids, the "new normal" will be not smoking.
    You're aware the BMA has no legal authority and only limited influence in our laws correct?

At best they could inspire a debate about this, what's most likely to occur is this being brushed off; It won't pass in the foreseeable future in my opinion.