Thread: Heroic Garrosh

Heroic Garrosh

My guild is starting Heroic Garrosh progression. I am looking for some suggestions to maximize my death knight on the fight from those who have killed it.

We only had a handful of attempts so I have not experienced much. It is clear that my add damage is not needed.

My plan for future pulls is to focus on Garrosh damage. I am leaning towards festerblight for him with the thinking being last phase will be the most difficult for us. Have any of you done that with success or have you all found better numbers with another plan?

Thanks for the help.

P3 is the real dps check. Additionally, if your damage is good enough, you can totally skip the second intermission, which can potentially ease the difficulty of the fight further. P4 is rather nonthreatening. The important places for high dps are really P3, and to some extent, P2.

Regarding spec choice (I think that's what you're asking about), UH is better single target damage, and if that's what your raid needs, then you should do it. Regarding overall damage, high end unholy tends to outperform frost regardless of padding on P1 adds, so that may help sway your decision further.

Going to need some more information to provide useful advice, like what your raid setup is and so on.

Unholy is great for pure boss damage, but only if you have others to handle the aoe for you.

Unholy is the optimal spec for this fight and I'll state why and some tricks.

You have the burst damage for when your raid really needs it, Example, P3 army + garg + hero/lust + potions + all trinket procs, You will be one of the top 5 bursters for p3 which is very important. If you skip the 2nd iron star you will not have garg for transition but if you do get the 2nd iron star it will be up and will be nice burst to clear the adds quick.
    At the start of the pull if you so wish to you can go into the fire near the edge of the wall where you jump off and max out on rp before the fight. You can also transform your ghoul. This is very very minor but it will maximize your dps which can be beneficial for your raid.
    Basic knowledge for Dk's but if you have H Galakras which I assume you will since you are on garrosh, something important is always pop that cd instantly, It will always line up with your trinket proc's which will be maximizing his dps and getting more out of him.
    I always semi festerblight that fight, not so much in p1 I just aoe my heart out but since you want to maximize your single target damage you are free to do so. I don't use a weakaura for tracking when my trinkets will proc so I just use my Garg cd as an example. I try to line up so my dots fall off about 5-10 seconds after my Garg cd is back up.

Practicing your strat and working out the timings is what is going to maximise your dps. We changed our strat's messing with all my cd timings, 1 week did 390 the next 450. A lot of actually is maximising soul reaper,dots,garg.

Ok few scenarios. Skip 2nd iron star. Right when you get on boss after adds are down in transition garg should be up with all cd's I believe 30 seconds of him with trinket proc's are better then 45 seconds of no procs and delaying time. 2nd scenerio you don't skip star garg will be up for adds on transition with all your trinket procs.

Skipping 2nd iron star usually means enough dps to skip 2nd transition.. This will mean no army on p3. I'd wait to use it in p4, 5 seconds or so before trinkets + garg procs. This will happen right when bombardment is about to happen which should leave you enough time to use it. If you don't skip 2nd transition proceed on using army + pots + garg on the p3 push with hero/lust.

Last tip if you want to use it more offensively than defensively you can use ams and kinda follow the malice guy for RP soaking.

Any further questions I can try to answer If I left anything out

Mainly.. Pop cd's instantly semi-festerblight till new trinket procs... Ams soak magic.
    Last edited by lilucky136; 2014-07-03 at 07:13 AM.

Deleted
    For T1 Talents i would choose Unholy Blight if you want to max your single target dps! Cause with Roiling Blood you could potentially overwrite your strong diseases! I always do the "normal" Festerblight 2.0 rotation and i am nearly always top single target dps

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Going to need some more information to provide useful advice, like what your raid setup is and so on.

Unholy is great for pure boss damage, but only if you have others to handle the aoe for you.
    I believe we are planning to 5 heal it possibly swapping to 4. My aoe will not be needed going off our small number of attempts. We run with 3-4 warlocks, 2 ele shamans, and 2 rets.

My plan was to play unholy focusing single target with the 2 minute disease's tactic. It is probably 50/50 we will be skipping the second iron star/second transition.

Thanks for the informative post Lilucky.
    Last edited by Jbreezy; 2014-07-03 at 01:40 PM.

Then you're in luck, you get to tunnel vision the boss.

One of the bigger challenges you're going to face doing garrosh as unholy is using your trinket procs effectively.

No one likes getting to a transition and having diseases proc on adds, then not having them up for disease application and cooldowns on the boss.

This may or may not happen depending on your dps, but if it does you're probably going to want to use a lot of festering strikes beforehand so garrosh still has your buffed diseases up when you get back on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbreezy View Post
    I believe we are planning to 5 heal it possibly swapping to 4. My aoe will not be needed going off our small number of attempts. We run with 3-4 warlocks, 2 ele shamans, and 2 rets.

My plan was to play unholy focusing single target with the 2 minute disease's tactic. It is probably 50/50 we will be skipping the second iron star/second transition.

Thanks for the informative post Lilucky.

The fight is 3 healable, I recommend dropping to atleast 4. To help with the DPS checks.
    Last edited by lilucky136; 2014-07-03 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Stupid quote thingy :P

Quote Originally Posted by lilucky136 View Post
    The fight is 3 healable, I recommend dropping to atleast 4.
    This. Also disc priests & resto shamans are pretty strong.

Deleted
    Don't play unholy atm but a question since I've recently talking with someone... If you use garg while in intermission will he follow you back into the normal realm if he has still time?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Don't play unholy atm but a question since I've recently talking with someone... If you use garg while in intermission will he follow you back into the normal realm if he has still time?
    No, it won't. The same is true for all non-permanent guardians (such as Doomguard or Shadowfiend). Only permanent pets get ported back.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

It's very small in a fight as long and heroic Garrosh, but Dark Sim the first wolf rider if your raid is letting through the first chain lightning. You can sit on the spell and wait for the next group of adds to come out before casting the copy and it hits for ~1.2m damage on average in my experience. Also during MC's if you are quick enough toss dark sim on a shadow priest or warlock and sometime you can get some pretty sweet spells.

I play frost for Garrosh because of intermission one damage. As unholy I also had my trinkets proccing at different times in intermission one which caused them to be off for the rest of the fight. The last phase is very simple and can easily be done with dead dps.