Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How do I learn to draw?

Okay, I'm eighteen years old, can't go to any courses or art schools, and I really want to learn how to draw. If anyone here has any tips? I don't have a writing table, so I guess I'll have to use pencil & paper..? Oh, and I want to learn a realistic type of drawing style. (Not anime style)

I know this will be a long learning process but I guess I'll make time, I just need some pointers

Nobody can convince me drawing takes practice. You're mind is born able to grasp the comprehension of depth, detail and perception, or not.

I've seen over a million human faces my life, yet when I sit down to draw one, I suddenly can't remember what a human looks like, ridiculous.

All those DeviantArt progress photos? Lies, all lies c:

To my understanding drawing is learnable by simply drawing... a lot.

Personally I have noticed this from reading lots of webcomics. Authors started with something that even I might have been able to draw. Then years later they are like totally pro. They just slowly improved over time.

I once tried drawing, but I never had the patience so I switched to writing. It does still annoy me that I can imagine all the stuff I write about, but can't ever completely say what I want with words...

One picture says more than thousand words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get started and draw something. If you want to draw realistcally then try drawing objects from RL or have a picture be your starting point, also draw it more than once. If doing so you should be able to eventually view your progress. (don't necessarily draw it in a row, you can draw different things of course, but then you should consider going back and trying your hand at one object again.)

Be patient and keep on working on your skill.

You could probably also find advice in the form of guides on sites such as youtube nowadays.
    I think it takes patience and perserverance but it might come more easily to some people than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    MMO-C is the depressing retirement home of world of warcraft. This is where all the old and retired players come to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    To my understanding drawing is learnable by simply drawing... a lot.

Personally I have noticed this from reading lots of webcomics. Authors started with something that even I might have been able to draw. Then years later they are like totally pro. They just slowly improved over time.

I once tried drawing, but I never had the patience so I switched to writing. It does still annoy me that I can imagine all the stuff I write about, but can't ever completely say what I want with words...

One picture says more than thousand words.
    Its annoying when I sit down with my wife for a quiet drawing session by candlelight. She creates masterpieces, works of art. She can draw her WoW character like its straight out of Blizzard.

I try to draw a tree and get broccoli.

- Draw every single day
    - Take life drawing classes
    - Learn to use a tablet/computer

No seriously, draw every single day. There's a ton of awesome youtube tutorials that are helpful, a group on deviantart called "senshistock" that has fantastic poses you can reference. But really just practice, practice, practice. I've been drawing since I was a kid, and the biggest thing for me was around graduation I just stopped drawing because "I had to get a real job". I still practice as much as I can, and hopefully will take it somewhere someday

Kaeja - Stormrage
    // Thanks to maybenotquiteasheavy for the Signature & Avatar! //

10+ Year Old Account

Id suggest you to invest in one of these, it helps a lot with creating semi-realistic poses when drawing things as a newbie.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've been in art school since 6th grade and now have a bachelors in graphic design.

From my experience you DO have to practice. Maybe people are not your strong suit so try animals and landscape or even architecture. Yes, I do also believe some are born with an aptitude for drawing but it doesn't mean others can't.

What I feel helped me the most is my love of history...you find a lot of old masters were not as brilliant as most think. Also geometry study is important. Finding simple shapes in complex objects makes things less daunting. Use pencil, since you can erase then go back over your final image with pen/ink.

You don't need art classes, you don't need a computer. Just draw. Anything, just do it.

It might sound cliche but "practice makes perfect."
    There are online guides or tutorials if you need them.

I'm trying to learn how to draw but it's really difficult for me. Because I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, I quit drawing shortly after starting because of how ugly and fail it looks (which is to be expected, but still). So really, the only thing stopping you from drawing is you. Don't let that happen!

Tracing helped me. Once I started to trace pictures, I started to see the intricacies of a picture and how to capture them.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Youtube has great tutorials. If I could add any advice, it would be to learn the skeletal structure and proportions of whatever you're drawing mostly. Ex: a human is generally 7 heads tall on average.

Also: shading is everything. Notice in real life NOTHING has actual lines on it. Everything is either darkly shaded, or not.

as someone who is making some side money with drawing, my best advice i can give you is to master perspective, learn shapes, and draw real life objects. work hard and have lots of patience, you won't learn it overnight

youtube has a number of talented artists who do free tutorials. Just type in drawing tutorials, you'll find some great info. As for myself, I just have been always drawing since i was a kid. It's just a hobby and it's far from perfect, but feel free to take a look at my deviant page in my sig, maybe it will inspire you.

Friend of mine said to draw other pictures first. Just set it by your notepad and draw what you see.

After doing that a while, you'll get to a point that you can start doing some freehand and it just builds from there.

Draw, draw, draw, draw. Repetition a thousand times. Draw A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeryn View Post
    Okay, I'm eighteen years old, can't go to any courses or art schools, and I really want to learn how to draw. If anyone here has any tips? I don't have a writing table, so I guess I'll have to use pencil & paper..? Oh, and I want to learn a realistic type of drawing style. (Not anime style)

I know this will be a long learning process but I guess I'll make time, I just need some pointers

Draw a circle 99 times... Now draw a square! Boggles the mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Coeryn View Post

take pencil, put it in pencil sharpener, apply pencil to paper, draw something.

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Nobody can convince me drawing takes practice. You're mind is born able to grasp the comprehension of depth, detail and perception, or not.

I've seen over a million human faces my life, yet when I sit down to draw one, I suddenly can't remember what a human looks like, ridiculous.

All those DeviantArt progress photos? Lies, all lies c:
    practice is needed to take what you see and apply it to paper.

Deleted
    You gotta just start. Draw a ton; anything and everything. Start out on fruit is my suggestion; simple shapes that will allow you to focus on other aspects of the image. Drape a piece of clothing over a chair, draw that. A hundred times, in different positions and with different props. I wouldn't even attempt faces or people until you get really good at form, perspective, and light.

Deleted
    It will take you many years to approach my level OP, but rest assured, you too, can draw like a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    It will take you many years to approach my level OP, but rest assured, you too, can draw like a retard.

Amazing. The face truly brings out the emotion your cat expresses.
    10/10