Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Internet keeps turning off every hour

My internet keeps dying every hour at xx:08. A quick disconnect and it comes right back on, annoying as hell.

Rebooted router and what not. Only started occuring today.

Any ideas wtf's doing it?

Deleted
    Have you tried restarting the computer?

Deleted
    Sounds haunted, call a priest. It's probably Nelson Mandelas ghost, hes always up to shenanigans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you call your internet provider instead of asking us?

They are the ones supplied with specialized knowledge of particular network problems in certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    Why don't you call your internet provider instead of asking us?

They are the ones supplied with specialized knowledge of particular network problems in certain areas.
    cause they're useless.

They're response is "hm, buy a new router."

To be fair though, don't be afraid to buy a new modem/router/modemrouter. It's not like they're expensive.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    cause they're useless.

That is totally unacceptable , make sure they have ran all the tests they could possibly have.

If that fails , ask to speak to a manager.

They should be the ones fixing this problem , if they are unable to do so then you need to find a new provider.

Deleted
    My internet keeps dying every hour at xx:08. A quick disconnect and it comes right back on, annoying as hell.

Had the same issue a while back, for me it was a new modem/router that fixed it.

Look in the router settings for something called 'lease time' I believe. Basically by default a lot of routers hand out an IP for 24 hours and then internet briefly disconnects as it acquires a new one.

use your router as a switch or just connect directly to the internet without using the router

That is totally unacceptable , make sure they have ran all the tests they could possibly have.

If that fails , ask to speak to a manager.

They should be the ones fixing this problem , if they are unable to do so then you need to find a new provider.
    That...or the issue is his modem is bad....

I had a similar issue with Comcast recently and the solution was putting in a splitter that had an amp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    That...or the issue is his modem is bad....

I had a similar issue with Comcast recently and the solution was putting in a splitter that had an amp.
    Where I live the ISP fixes the problem , not the consumer.

Forgot about how bad the American internet providers are.

Try do a factory reset on the router.

So if your computer is broken or router bad, the isp fix it for you? That's very nice. :P Here they fix the problem only if they are the cause of it.
    Last edited by Blupparen; 2014-07-04 at 10:41 PM.

Deleted

Where i live you try and fix the problems yourself before you put the blame on your ISP. This could be a simple error in his Modem configuration.

Has he tried Factory settings again?
    Tried a new Modem/router?

The chances of his ISP knowing what is going on is close to 0% unless his connection is part of the problem.

it may be your router's settings. did you do anything to it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blupparen View Post
    Try do a factory reset on the router.

So if your computer is broken or router bad, the isp fix it for you? That's very nice. :P Here they fix the problem only if they are the cause of it.
    The provider , provides the router free of charge where I live.

So any problems with it , goes back to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmr1 View Post
    Look in the router settings for something called 'lease time' I believe. Basically by default a lot of routers hand out an IP for 24 hours and then internet briefly disconnects as it acquires a new one.
    This. I've had the same kind of issue a few months ago when I bought a new router. Took me a while to figure out the lease time was set on 180min by default.

Try using the internet directly in the modem during the time period, and if it works. You need a new router.

10+ Year Old Account
    cause they're useless.

Do you have more than one device with the same issue? I'd be curious as to what would happen if you bypassed the router. Maybe it is your router, only way to really be sure is bypass it.

Quote Originally Posted by xmr1 View Post
    It doesn't really work that way. At least not at the ISP i work for. Now if you were getting a new ip address every 24 hours, your internet would go down, and that would be an ISP issue
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2014-07-04 at 10:52 PM.

My mother and I both had a similar issue last week and we live in different parts of England. I'm not sure how credible it is but a friend of mine is convinced that solar flare activity has increased the amount of interference with internet services.