Poll: Pick what MOST applies:

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LichKangLoL View Post
    You don't have space for dumbbell bars and some weight plates, excuses much?
    A lot of people live in apartments; while surely you can have dumbbells and a few kettle bells, its not reasonable to expect everyone to have a bench press in their home. Besides, even if you have room for a few pieces of large equipment, surely you cannot have room for more than a few machines or benches at most, and that simply isn't enough.

Deleted
    To make all you betas in this thread insecure as i bench 500000kg, one handed, while playing chess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand the question. What is a gym?
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    To make all you betas in this thread insecure as i bench 500000kg, one handed, while playing chess.
    I do it playing 3 dimensional chess.

Your move Manakin
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Equipemnt + more people = more motivation + place to meet people.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Well then. As the rules of man kind dictate, as an alpha, you now own my girlfriend. Well played good sir.

OT: My physiotherapy is at a gym, so I guess that counts as personal trainer.

Lets face it, most people go to the gym ultimately for sexual reasons

I go for the Cardio and Toning classes. I am usually the only guy. It is funny watching some "tough guy" come in, load his bar like he is a badass, and then struggle through the squat track of Bodypump. And then they never do a class again. Too hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarez View Post
    I don't go to the gym because being thin won't make me any less unattractive.
    You don't have to be thin, and some chix really like ugly muscly guys....

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I do it playing 3 dimensional chess.

Your move Manakin
    I do it while programming and doing my taxes. Please take a seat.

They go to meet other people and stuff. I just use things around my house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    You don't have to be thin, and some chix really like ugly muscly guys....
    I think you mean some chicks like muscles so much... that they can make up for the ugly. I don't get it personally but w/e makes their world go round.
    Last edited by Deviant; 2014-07-05 at 03:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Not everyone works out just to look good for women. Probably most people do it for themselves.

Edit: Also, what's wrong with showing off how strong and muscular you are? It takes a hell of a lot more dedication to bulk up like that and work on your body so much, it's absolutley something to be proud of.
    I was in no way trying to say 'all' or even 'most' of the people in the gym were there to 'brag' about, merely 'some' of them were. You cannot honestly tell me the people working out at muscle beach are solely there to get a workout? And while we are at it, I know enough from my limited physiology courses from massage therapy, that past a point, bulking up not only is useless, but becomes a detriment. If you look at the tough man competitions, none of those guys are ripped, and many are rather flabby, comparatively. In MMA, the guys that are the most muscled gas out, because of the need to supply blood to all the extra and unneeded muscle mass. Not to mention the toll on the body from using diuretics to get the low body fat for completion day, and steroids to get overly muscled to begin with.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually find very muscular men and women attractive, but I admit, I don't have average taste. I also respect the dedication that I certainly don't have to get in that shape, but there is a definite difference between 'fit' and 'ripped', and my comment was directed at the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

But, I don't want to hijack a thread about why people go the gym, I merely wanted to point out another possible reason people go to a gym vs. outside/home.

I did P90X with my brother for a week. He ate too many fiber bars and kept farting. I couldn't work out with him anymore because of the smell, so I quit.
    "It's clear this is another bash Apple thread. Such things are not conducive to a good discussion."

WRONG! Those are the BEST discussions!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish there was a gym near me that had a pool

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mykro9 View Post
    I was in no way trying to say 'all' or even 'most' of the people in the gym were there to 'brag' about, merely 'some' of them were. You cannot honestly tell me the people working out at muscle beach are solely there to get a workout? And while we are at it, I know enough from my limited physiology courses from massage therapy, that past a point, bulking up not only is useless, but becomes a detriment. If you look at the tough man competitions, none of those guys are ripped, and many are rather flabby, comparatively. In MMA, the guys that are the most muscled gas out, because of the need to supply blood to all the extra and unneeded muscle mass. Not to mention the toll on the body from using diuretics to get the low body fat for completion day, and steroids to get overly muscled to begin with.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually find very muscular men and women attractive, but I admit, I don't have average taste. I also respect the dedication that I certainly don't have to get in that shape, but there is a definite difference between 'fit' and 'ripped', and my comment was directed at the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

But, I don't want to hijack a thread about why people go the gym, I merely wanted to point out another possible reason people go to a gym vs. outside/home.
    You don't have to be doing it so that you can fight or so you can lift the heaviest things either though. Like, using period blood isn't the best way to make a painting, but people do it because it's a project for them and it's kind of art or whatever. Same thing with bodybuilding. If someone wants to get ultra muscly and go lift weights with a bunch of other muscly dudes to get even more muscly, because they are trying to push themselves to get as muscly as possible and that's what makes them happy... so what?

Quote Originally Posted by Denkou View Post
    A lot of people live in apartments; while surely you can have dumbbells and a few kettle bells, its not reasonable to expect everyone to have a bench press in their home. Besides, even if you have room for a few pieces of large equipment, surely you cannot have room for more than a few machines or benches at most, and that simply isn't enough.
    You don't need machines or benches, that's exactly my point, which is why I said what I said, too many people think you need "insert fancy shiny machine" when in reality you barely need anything to get in good shape.

I go to the gym because I have 2 problems:
    1. I'm not Goku
    2. I still fit through doors.

To have a stronger spine and muscles. And it is very cheap compared to buying your own equipment that you won't really use after a few time.

Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    First off, those are terrible poll options. Ya know, some people actually choose to go because they like exercising. Second off, I go simply because I want to be better tomorrow than I was today. More specifically, I want to improve the way my body looks and the way I feel, and increase my self-confidence. Also, it's the only place you can yell out "Yep!" and "Yeah buddyyyyyy" and instantly make friends with someone.
    Oh my gosh I didn't ask why you exercise, I asked why you go to the gym. Obviously you go to the gym to exercise (I'd hope).

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarez View Post
    I don't go to the gym because being thin won't make me any less unattractive.
    Normally I wouldn't care about the occasional mmo-champ self hater but this is not true. If you get in shape, you'll not only have a lot more confidence, you'll actually look better. I'm a straight guy myself and my looks are average aswell, but I've seen a lot of fit dudes with less-than-desirable levels of attractiveness with some really attractive girls. Being fit alone will put you one step ahead of every dude. Also being attractive isn't just about your face(it's also not purely physical), when you look after yourself there's no such thing as a truly ugly person (putting serious scars/marks/bad tattoos aside)

Being your best self helps. Even if it's only physicially. Gym takes time but it pays off. The boost of confidence from it alone is enough to be honest.
    Last edited by Archiul; 2014-07-05 at 04:10 AM.

Alright, I edited the first post for clarity. This is not a topic about why you exercise.