Thread: Laptop help

Deleted

Laptop help

Will either of these be able to play the game and approximately at what settings?
    1. http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnle...black/p1365130

2. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptop...50486-pdt.html

Cheers

Deleted
    Hello.

What "game" are you trying to run?

Deleted
    World of Warcraft

depending on the settings you want to use I would say probably not at an enjoyable fps (low detail) to no chance in hell (everything else) especially on the one with the AMD CPU, you want somthink in the likes of this taken from the website you linked for convenience.

Out of the two you linked, if it's for some light gaming, go for the Lenevo with the AMD chip.

The graphics are superior to the i5's intergrated HD4000, which is comparable to Radeon 6620g. The A10 has a Radeon 8650g.

The processor is faster too. i5 = 2.7ghz turbo. A10 = 3.5ghz turbo.

You'll easily be able to play on medium settings, maybe higher outside of 25 man raids, depending on what fps you find acceptable.

AMD chips are notoriously bad for wow so I would avoid those, there are enough threads on this forum that have confirmed that. As ofr a real recommandation you might need to provide some more info about how you intend to use it and gfx detail you want

You would be better with intel and a dedicated gpu, but the price will go up considerably, which I'm guessing you don't want.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-AMD-A10-5750M

Laptop gaming does not need to be expensive; there are capable models which can play the latest games at medium settings, yet are easy on the budget. For this matchup, we’re comparing two such middle range performers: the Intel Core i5 3337U versus the AMD A10 5750M. Which will give the most bang for your buck?

The 3337U is a Dual Core clocked at 1.8 GHz, with 3MB cache and consumes 17W TDP of power. On the graphics end, it packs an HD 4000 which is barely passable, and can only play games with the lowest settings enabled. But a unique advantage is that it’s Hyperthreaded, which maximizes the usage of each processor core especially for multi-threaded applications.

In contrast is the 5750M; a Quad core clocked higher at 2.5 GHz, with 4MB cache but unfortunately consumes twice the power at 35W TDP. As an APU, its highlight feature is that it has beefier onboard graphics: this model packs a Radeon 8650G, which is capable of playing the latest games at medium settings. Let’s look at the benchmarks to see how they stack up in real world performance.

Tests show that the 5750M has the upper hand: it performed 4% better in the 3DMark06 CPU test, 39% better in the 3DMark11 physics test, and 21% in the PassMark test. The 3337U wasn’t winless however, as it managed to eke out a 3% advantage in the Single Core performance benchmark.

As far as gaming performance is concerned, take a pass on the Intel Core i5 3337U, because as an Ultraportable, it's geared more towards portability and desktop functionality. So for this matchup, we recommend the AMD A10 5750M as an awesome gaming laptop at a great price.

Deleted
    Cheers pai mei, very useful.
    I am not after specific settings denpepe, I want to see how the game fits around the laptop rather than buy the laptop around one specific game.
    One more if anyone could help, what sort of settings would this laptop be able to cope with?
    http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnle...black/p1101267
    Thanks guys you've been great!

Quote Originally Posted by Pai Mei View Post
    You would be better with intel and a dedicated gpu, but the price will go up considerably, which I'm guessing you don't want.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...-AMD-A10-5750M

Laptop gaming does not need to be expensive; there are capable models which can play the latest games at medium settings, yet are easy on the budget. For this matchup, we’re comparing two such middle range performers: the Intel Core i5 3337U versus the AMD A10 5750M. Which will give the most bang for your buck?

The 3337U is a Dual Core clocked at 1.8 GHz, with 3MB cache and consumes 17W TDP of power. On the graphics end, it packs an HD 4000 which is barely passable, and can only play games with the lowest settings enabled. But a unique advantage is that it’s Hyperthreaded, which maximizes the usage of each processor core especially for multi-threaded applications.

In contrast is the 5750M; a Quad core clocked higher at 2.5 GHz, with 4MB cache but unfortunately consumes twice the power at 35W TDP. As an APU, its highlight feature is that it has beefier onboard graphics: this model packs a Radeon 8650G, which is capable of playing the latest games at medium settings. Let’s look at the benchmarks to see how they stack up in real world performance.

Tests show that the 5750M has the upper hand: it performed 4% better in the 3DMark06 CPU test, 39% better in the 3DMark11 physics test, and 21% in the PassMark test. The 3337U wasn’t winless however, as it managed to eke out a 3% advantage in the Single Core performance benchmark.

As far as gaming performance is concerned, take a pass on the Intel Core i5 3337U, because as an Ultraportable, it's geared more towards portability and desktop functionality. So for this matchup, we recommend the AMD A10 5750M as an awesome gaming laptop at a great price.
    TLDR; WoW benefits from strong individual core performance, therefore benchmarks that are programmed to benefit a lot from multiple cores and threads are irrelevant. Intel 2-core > AMD 8-core for WoW.

Deleted
    Thanks Gouca.
    Could anyone tell me what sort of settings I would be able to play wow on this:
    http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnle...black/p1101267
    Cheers