LUI and elvui at the same time?

I just reformated my computer, and am looking to make a new and very slick UI. I have previously used elvui with weak auras and tellmewhen. I have seen a few videos of people using LUI, and I like the player/target frames, and the textures around the edges of the screen. However I also really like the skins that comes with elvui, and the datatexts, aswell as a module that anchors skada to my right chat window.

So my question is this, has anybody any experience with using LUI and elvui at the same time? I want to disable unitframes and actionbars from elvui, but keep datatexts, chat, nameplates and cosolidated buffs and buffs/debuffs.

At the same time I want the textures and unitframes from LUI, the raidframes from vuhdo and use weak auras to track debuffs/CDs on my target. As well as a lot of other addons.

Anyone experience with both think it is possible to do without getting tons of luaerrors?

I have a high end system with 64GB ram(and equally strong cpu/graphics) so the amount of resources all these addons will use isn't really an issue.

Sounds like you should learn to do a UI from scratch that mimics those UI's.

UI addons rarely use much resources, so that wouldn't be an issue.

To accomplish this you would have to heavily modify both UI's to disable all the duplicated features and keep them from disrupting each-other.

Thanks for the answer. I have strongly considered starting making addons, or at the very least start making custom scripts for weak auras. However I have very limited skills when it comes to graphical design and photoshop, so making a UI addon from scratch is probably unlikely that I will do. Maybe I can just modify the lua scripts of the two addons though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd honestly steer clear of LUI. I had to remove mine (though I loved the look) because I was getting LUA errors left and right that were making the client unstable. The moment I swapped back to ElvUI, the errors stopped.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I think he means that you could get addons like raven and dominoes etc to make a custom looking UI from premade addons.

I could be wrong though.

Ye, I thought that might be what he ment aswell, I have tried it before, but never really gotten all the skins to look... similar, so that the whole UI felt the same. I have been testing a bit now though, it seems you can load both at the same time perfectly fine as long as you disable a few modules in elvui. Considering I have enough power to waste, I might just run both at the same time, and disable almost every module in elvui except nameplates and the skins. I know I can use tidyplates/threatplates to achieve what elvui does, but is there an addonpack with skins to replace the blizzard standard skins for things like achievementpane, guildpane etc? That also has a strong support for other addons, i.e. skada, tradeskillmaster etc?

Edit; I'm just lazy, I just found this addon; Skinner, wich apparently does exactly what I want. I think I will go with LUI then, and use other smaller addons to add the missing pieces from elvui.
    Last edited by Noorac; 2014-07-05 at 09:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noorac View Post
    Ye, I thought that might be what he ment aswell, I have tried it before, but never really gotten all the skins to look... similar, so that the whole UI felt the same. I have been testing a bit now though, it seems you can load both at the same time perfectly fine as long as you disable a few modules in elvui. Considering I have enough power to waste, I might just run both at the same time, and disable almost every module in elvui except nameplates and the skins. I know I can use tidyplates/threatplates to achieve what elvui does, but is there an addonpack with skins to replace the blizzard standard skins for things like achievementpane, guildpane etc? That also has a strong support for other addons, i.e. skada, tradeskillmaster etc?
    ElvUI used to release a pack of skins, but I think that they stopped directly supporting it a while back. Might check their website.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    I'd honestly steer clear of LUI. I had to remove mine (though I loved the look) because I was getting LUA errors left and right that were making the client unstable. The moment I swapped back to ElvUI, the errors stopped.
    I have used elvui for the past 8ish months now, and never had a lua-error, wich I am very grateful for, however, the look of it is just too... sharp. I don't really know how to describe it. I read on the comment section of LUI that the author is working on a WoD version. Your comment scares me a bit though, I have been spoiled by elvui in regards to lua-errors. Did you use a plethora of other addons that might have interferred though?

Butting in just to say that I've used LUI for the better part of the past 3-4 years, and I've yet to run into any glaring issues.
    Thank you to Serrin for the signature!
    PC Stuffs: i7-4790K | Z97X-SLI | 16GB DDR3-1866 | GTX-780 | 256GB Samsung EVO | 1TB WD Blue | SuperNOVA 650 Gold | Fractal r4 Blackout | Dark Rock Pro 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noorac View Post
    I have used elvui for the past 8ish months now, and never had a lua-error, wich I am very grateful for, however, the look of it is just too... sharp. I don't really know how to describe it. I read on the comment section of LUI that the author is working on a WoD version. Your comment scares me a bit though, I have been spoiled by elvui in regards to lua-errors. Did you use a plethora of other addons that might have interferred though?
    LUI requires a plethora of addons, actually. It's like, a bundle of addons with settings. I also use VuhDo, DBM, Prat, and WeakAuras. But specifically, there was something messed up about how it was calling party frames. I don't know what the exact issue was, but it had to do with being in combat and I would get a lua error from LUI referencing the party frames. I removed the addon, and all of the subaddons that come with it, and the problem vanished.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    This is what I did 2 years ago. I really enjoyed the look of LUI, but there was so many LUA errors once the actual developer quit the game and stopped updating it. Once that happened, several users started to post updates but they still were not actually correcting the issue, more like a temporary work around for it. So after about 3 weeks of that crap, I went BACK to Elvui and regretted ever leaving. If LUI is still user updated, I would steer clear of it just to save you any headaches in the future.

I currently use LUI, no errors at all despite running so many other addons that the list goes off the bottom of my 1440p screen!

That said I didn't like the inbuilt grid and bartender, and I deleted the presets for recount because I didn't like those either. Not LUA errors, just not as up to date nor feature rich as the actual versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    I currently use LUI, no errors at all despite running so many other addons that the list goes off the bottom of my 1440p screen!

That said I didn't like the inbuilt grid and bartender, and I deleted the presets for recount because I didn't like those either. Not LUA errors, just not as up to date nor feature rich as the actual versions.
    Why in the world do people still use Recount!? That memory usage, holy shit.

Deleted
    SUF + Bartender + Skada + Boss Mods + specific class addon (dot timer or something similar)

These addons will make you able to create a UI thats suits most peoples needs

Quote Originally Posted by Naplam View Post
    Butting in just to say that I've used LUI for the better part of the past 3-4 years, and I've yet to run into any glaring issues.
    I still use LUI to this day, pretty much looks the same as when I began using it back in Wrath/Cata.

Here is an old video of my UI back then, not too much has changed since then, except I do not have MSBT on scrolling damage/heals coming in and my damage going out on the sides anymore, as I main Holy now. Removed recount from the original addon for LUI and run Skada now. I don't remember if Grid is used as default raid frames for LUI, but I use Vuhdo. Amazing things happen with Vuhdo.

Excellence, completed by Shyama!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    See my sig, plenty of system resources

Deleted
    I've actually had almost the exact same thought for some time now. Only using RealUI 8 and TukUI. I really love the player- and targetframes, the placement and look of grid, the "event notifier" and the general way of the UI using its space. BUT the look, the overall skin of TukUI is just gorgeous; the way the threat/info/eventbars work in the bottom of TukUI and the chat frames. The G/S/Y/W-chat, Combat Log, General/Trade - Loot/Reputation/Skada frame.

I hope it made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    Because if you have >6 GB system memory, memory usage is irrelevant (as long as you use the 64-bit client). I've had addon memory usage upwards of 400 MB with no performance degradation.

That said, I use Details! now, does even more than skada/recount with lower performance cost (higher memory usage than skada, but lower CPU usage which is all that matters)