Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Special is a big word, they're all useless ever since the double pet nerf. You can make the Raven/Squid work but the other pets are simply better (shark/armored fish/cats/drakes)

If you just want them for the look, eat your heart out .
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

the pets are just skins of existing GW2 pets but still nice to have as a collector

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Special is a big word
    Not really. They don't exist in the game, but I can have them. That's special.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    nice to have as a collector
    Mmm hmm.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I would dearly love to have the Fire God's Vambraces HOM reward from GW1 because they are sexy as hell, but honestly I cba to play another game for months on end and learn all the 800 skills and builds and whatnot. Blargh.
    Valar morghulis

The jellyfish is really good imo. Creates water field and chaos fields I beleive.

Smoke and water, which is nice but if you compare it too shark/armored fish it's simply outclassed.

Shark does such insane damage and the fish is the best tank in-game. When going for world completion I literally just sent it into packs of mobs with veterans while I got the skillpoint.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

I bought GW2 because they advertised revolution in questing and dynamic world, well can't say I felt that, "hearts" felt like usual questing and random events, are well just that, random events that cycle around like: capture outpost, defend outpost, if taken by mobs capture again etc.

Personal story starts great but as the levels pass it feels more and more sparse, you need to level between each "story" quest...

The new talent revamp (1st talent at lvl 30, can't access second tier of talents until like... was it lvl 60?) completely pushed me out of game, levelling feels so long and unrewarding now.

The end game can't say for sure, didn't reach there, but there's world vs world (a huge pvp battle), something similar to wow battlegrounds (with special pvp gear separate from pve), jumping puzzles, achievements and some dungeons but since there is no tank no healer it's kinda about stacking bazillion of buffs so you can zerg it fast, at least that's how it looks like on vids, I never did any high level dungeon and low level pugs seemed like vanilla wow - a lot of time to gather the group and then everyone walks aimlessly trying to figure out how to survive. Lol. But people say pvp part of the game is more of a focus than pve, so maybe it's better, I just don't enjoy pvp to know for sure.

I quit some time ago, came back a while ago to check what changed, there was some world event with Queen's Pavillon and killing bosses in there and I must say, nothing changed, world bosses / champion events are still huge zergfests, had no idea what I'm doing, my frame rate dropped from having tons of people and their spells on my screen, killed the boss in what looked like eternity, got some reward chest... Didn't feel very engaging or rewarding for me sadly.

I don't think the world is empty, but it seems the server I picked at random was one of the biggest (name Seafarer's Rest).

If you look for some fast pvp maybe you'll find fun in GW2, if you liked Nintendo jumping games, you'll like this one, plenty of achievements and discoveries require fancy jumping. Levelling and world events? Same as in most MMOs, nothing special or out of the ordinary.

Also if you didn't know, player level downscales in low level zones and upscales in some world events or BGs so that combats "emptiness" of the world, I remember few patches ago (they nerfed this now) high level people were farming champions in human starting zone and it was so efficient because of the level and reward scaling.

The game has a cash shop full of fluff but also useful stuff like extra bag and bank slots or permanent harvesting tools so you don't need to replace your mining pick or chopping axe all the time (everyone has access to gathering without taking a profession slot). It is possible though to grind in-game gold and change it for "gems" (cash shop currency) so theoretically it's not fully microtransaction model, you don't have to pay irl cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Smoke and water, which is nice but if you compare it too shark/armored fish it's simply outclassed.

Shark does such insane damage and the fish is the best tank in-game. When going for world completion I literally just sent it into packs of mobs with veterans while I got the skillpoint.
    I'm so casual in GW2 I just use bears for everything. (I don't do dungeons) Water bears, land bears, bears bears bears.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    The problem I see is there are no alternatives. Like if I'm a human I'm nowhere near going to fireheart rise anytime soon nor do I have a reason to do so and most of the grandmaster is in Orr so like... we do have karka island ya know :x
    There is an alternative. Gold + skill point.

Deleted
    Gw2 Combat is clunky imo - way less responsive than WoW.

Levelling is pretty fun on your first play through, better than many games I've played.

Endgame is kinda bad, you have some dungeons and living story every few weeks but thats about it.

IDK if it was just me but I went into Lions Arch and 0 people were talking ... Idk why. Also in the lvl1 norn area.

PvP Structured is god awful atm. WvW is fun but it gets kind of repetitive.

These are just my opinions.
    If you are looking for a long term game to replace now I wouldnt recommend it, but as a short term thing it is pretty good.

Edit - Forgot to mention that most new gear added is only accessible through RNG or the cash shop, besides a few exceptions.
    Last edited by mmoc8286f0be49; 2014-07-18 at 08:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by raguun View Post
    These are just my opinions
    That would be great...but...some of your 'opinions' are factually wrong and/or imply lesser understanding of the game's design. You kinda shot yourself in the foot saying combat was 'clunky' right off the bat. :-/
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    That would be great...but...some of your 'opinions' are factually wrong and/or imply lesser understanding of the game's design. You kinda shot yourself in the foot saying combat was 'clunky' right off the bat. :-/
    When I play the game, combat feels clunky - in my opinion. It just doesn't feel as smooth as WoW, there is a slight delay of when I push my buttons and when I attack - which I find clunky. Doesn't matter if its intended or not, I find it clunky, and that's my opinion - it isn't factually unaccurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    clunky *snip* it isn't factually unaccurate.
    It's ironic that you knew exactly what I was referring to as being inaccurate...perhaps it's like you already know how untrue that is any time it's used by players w/r/t MMO combat. Saying combat is 'clunky' is a buzzword and doesn't express any factual representation of a game's combat mechanics. Interestingly enough, most complaints of 'clunkyness' comes from people's inability to distinguish animations and actual performance in combat. In GW2 when you push a button, the action happens...much like almost every MMO we've ever played. Wow uses instantly interruptable, façade-like, and physics-less animations that make your character visually appear like you are in a vacuum with no external forces being exerted on you.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    It's ironic that you knew exactly what I was referring to as being inaccurate...perhaps it's like you already know how untrue that is any time it's used by players w/r/t MMO combat. Saying combat is 'clunky' is a buzzword and doesn't express any factual representation of a game's combat mechanics. Interestingly enough, most complaints of 'clunkyness' comes from people's inability to distinguish animations and actual performance in combat. In GW2 when you push a button, the action happens...much like almost every MMO we've ever played. Wow uses instantly interruptable, façade-like, and physics-less animations that make your character visually appear like you are in a vacuum with no external forces being exerted on you.
    ...No? I just know what part of the game makes me not like the combat. I wont use the word clunky then, how about responsive? WoW feels more responsive. If I'm playing PvP and I interrupt, I press my key and I know that in the same 50~ ms I press that key I will interrupt my target. In GW2 you don't get that responsiveness.

Also, when doing dungeon combat in GW2, I dont find mashing 1 for 5 hours while pressing v out of red circles, and being 1 shotted by some unavoidable attack fun.

If you didn't do this
    Also, when doing dungeon combat in GW2, I dont find mashing 1 for 5 hours while pressing v out of red circles
    this wouldn't happen
    being 1 shotted by some unavoidable attack fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...No? I just know what part of the game makes me not like the combat. I wont use the word clunky then, how about responsive? WoW feels more responsive. If I'm playing PvP and I interrupt, I press my key and I know that in the same 50~ ms I press that key I will interrupt my target. In GW2 you don't get that responsiveness.
    This is true. However, it's a feature of the game. Does it make it worse than WoW? Subjective opinion. I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but I got used to it, so now I am able to time it. It started to grow on me because the slower response makes sense from an animation view (finish previous animation before starting a new one). However, your view is completely valid; I've missed quite a few interrupts because it fired too late.

Gw2 Combat is clunky imo - way less responsive than WoW.
    They are completely different combat systems... you can't compare the 2 with the word "clunky"

Levelling is pretty fun on your first play through, better than many games I've played.

Endgame is kinda bad, you have some dungeons and living story every few weeks but thats about it.
    You don't understand the concept. GW2 endgame is everything. If you enjoyed the leveling experience you should be enjoying the end game experience because it's the exact same thing just without going higher then level 80. You contradict yourself. That or you go in thinking there is suppose to be raids for end game.

IDK if it was just me but I went into Lions Arch and 0 people were talking ... Idk why. Also in the lvl1 norn area.
    So... you were not talking either?

Edit - Forgot to mention that most new gear added is only accessible through RNG or the cash shop, besides a few exceptions.
    There is no gear from the cash shop, except skins. And excuse me for saying but gear is RNG in WoW too so... idk
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is NO gear that can be acquired through the cash shop. All gear is obtained through gameplay by crafting, getting drops, dungeon tokens, badge tokens, map completion, story completion and the like.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    There is gear from the cash shop, buy gold buy decent gear (not bis ofc). That's what I did when I dinged 80

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    There is gear from the cash shop, buy gold buy decent gear (not bis ofc). That's what I did when I dinged 80
    Tell me Dray, if you buy something another player crafted or a BoE drop in WoW would you call that buying from the cash shop? Makes about as much sense.
    Valar morghulis