Deleted

General advice on computer upgrade requested

Hi, my computer is several years old, I'm considering upgrading the memory and CPU.

It's a general purpose PC, I'm not looking for a games computer or anything like that.

I've had a little experience adding components to my computer. I've added an internal hard drive, and a card for extra USB slots, so I'm not totally in the dark here. I could definitely fit the memory, and probably fit the CPU, but I don't know what to buy.

I have downloaded a couple of tools that show me system information. One is called Sysinfo, the other is called Speccy.

The computer is a HP Pavilion

The Motherboard is a Nance.

MEMORY

I have determined that I currently have the following memory:
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 301MHz (5-5-5-15)

I have two slots, one is used with a 2GB card.

My motherboard supports up to 8GB.

My OS is Vista Basic, which I understand supports up to 4GB, is that correct?

I see that there are different types of memory, including
    DIMM 168-pin
    DIMM 200-pin
    DIMM 240-pin
    FB-DIMM 240-pin
    SO DIMM 200-pin

I don't know which one I need. How do I determine this?

Is there a maximum amount of MHz my motherboard can handle? If so how do I find out what it is?

A larger number of MHz means that it accesses the memory quicker, right? So it will make the computer run faster? Or have I misunderstood?

CPU

My processor is an AMD Semipron 3400
    Speed 1800 MHz
    FSB 200 (I don't know what that means)

I do not know what type o0f socket I have. How do I find out?

Is there a maximum number of cores, or a maximum clock speed that my motherboard can handle? If so, how do I find out what it is?

- TIA.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly. You're better off throwing us a budget and letting us put you something brand new together. In order to upgrade the CPU and RAM to something worthwhile you're going to need to upgrade the motherboard (no choice really being that there isn't much available that could work with it) in which you're better off just replacing everything because the PSU is probably low quality and old anyways.

You'd be happy you did.

You're wasting your time by upgrading just the CPU and Memory on such an old system, as you're likely going to need other components to support it, even for general use. If you replace the CPU, you're going to need to make sure it's compatible with your motherboard, if it's not, you need a new one. If you need a new motherboard to support your CPU, you're going to need DDR3 RAM, unless you buy another old obsolete one to replace your current obsolete one.

If you want to find something out about a product, or....anything really, google it. Your CPU socket: Socket 754

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD...0BXBOX%29.html

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...empron+3400%2B

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/low_end_cpus.html < You'll have to look through these and find another CPU that's better than yours, and that is compatible with your motherboards socket, anything other than that will not work.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...fastest-socket

As for memory, you're going to be spending more on the old(DDR2), than you would be spending on the new(DDR3), so, what's the point?

All in all, you really are wasting your time, don't waste your money as well. Figure out how much you want to spend, and someone can help you find a cheap, bare-bones system that will only be used for your "general use". Depending on what "general use" is for you, you will be able to omit things, like a GPU, for example, as CPUs have their own integrated one now, and that may be enough for whatever you're doing.

Deleted
    As the previous guys said you'll be wasting your money if you try to upgrading anything is this old rig. You might even spend more to find old stuff than new parts. So see how much money you can come up with for an entirely new rig.