Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    There is no reason to be a beggar here.

I just ignore them or say I don't have any cash to spare.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is really not my place to discern fake homeless, homeless by choice, or legitimately down on their luck. I tend to give a dollar if I have one on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Most of the people in Cambridge who are homeless are so due to their deliberate choices, drug dependency, crime, been thrown out due to the aforementioned issues in hostels, ect.

As such, while i try to respect them as human beings, i know that if given any money they'll spend it on the following.

1) Booze
    2) Cigs
    3) Drugs

I once gave a homeless bloke my sub, he was fairly thankful, and also gave his dog a tin of dog food; But i'd never give him money, i just wouldn't trust him i'm afraid.
    Why do you care if they spend it on booze or drugs?

You sound like my father who gave me a long lecture on why I shouldn't give homeless people change because they'll just spend it on the stuff that placed them in that situation in the first place. When I asked him how giving nothing is better than giving something he just gave me a look and that was that.

Even if they can get high for an hour or two that's a small comfort. Lots of celebrities/rich people are drug/alcohol addicts they just hide it because they can buy a everlasting stash. Life is not fair.

I feel for the homeless. I even gave a homeless man my umbrella once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    If I have food to spare I will give it willingly and without forethought. No money, money is too powerful. Food everyone needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

like the man harassing people in a hooters parking lot?
    i give him nothing, as he clearly wants to catch people unaware

a person with car trouble who needs help?
    help them every chance you get, you never know when you might need help yourself

the world is full of liars, empathy is exploited

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I have Jeeves beat them soundly with my peasant-beating cane.
    Lucky I hadn't started drinking my soup yet, because your post made me burst into laughter.

To answer the question, I generally give them a portion of the change in my wallet, so the amount differs. Only coins though, I tend not to carry larger amounts of money with me aside from the amount I need for public transport. I only see homeless people in the city (around Melbourne's CBD) though, which isn't often since I live outside the suburbs and I work in a town further into rural territory.
    Last edited by Skeppio; 2014-07-09 at 02:24 AM.

I never give them anything.
    They have assistance (more than enough) from our state if they need it.

If it's anywhere near my job, I call the cops. Can't stand that scum bothering my employees and patients. And I really hate when I see people give them money. Its like feeding the wildlife. If you do, they just keep coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    If it's anywhere near my job, I call the cops. Can't stand that scum bothering my employees and patients. And I really hate when I see people give them money. Its like feeding the wildlife. If you do, they just keep coming back.
    I hope you never become homeless because I'd be offering you my sandwich after spitting in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I have Jeeves beat them soundly with my peasant-beating cane.
    Jeeves is the footman, not the butler I presume... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post
    like the man harassing people in a hooters parking lot?
    i give him nothing, as he clearly wants to catch people unaware

a person with car trouble who needs help?
    help them every chance you get, you never know when you might need help yourself

I see them a lot in supermarket parking lots trying to catch single women and old ladies who are about to get into their cars. I am particularly rude to them when I notice this.

Quote Originally Posted by Requite View Post
    I treat them like human beings.
    I treat them like human beings too, by believing that a grown-ass person doesn't need other people providing a living for him.

The whole "giving them money just means it gets blown on drugs and booze" doesn't really stand up to actual research.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/26/5845258...food-it-worked
    http://www.vox.com/2014/6/5/5783086/...great-cure-for

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I hope you never become homeless because I'd be offering you my sandwich after spitting in it.
    Well you at least know the correct way of feeding them.

Quote Originally Posted by truckboattruck View Post

Only if you give with some sort of expectations. I've never met or heard of a homeless person who was living a better life than me, helping them out does not put me at a disadvantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    The whole "giving them money just means it gets blown on drugs and booze" doesn't really stand up to actual research.

http://www.vox.com/2014/6/26/5845258...food-it-worked
    http://www.vox.com/2014/6/5/5783086/...great-cure-for

Exactly most people are using it as a convenient excuse not to give it a pound or a dollar or what have you to someone in a bad spot. Empathy is what separates us from the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Same here, thats actually a goal of mine, to not become a leech on society.

Also, most of the "homeless" around here aren't homeless. They're just beggars.

I make a point of not ignoring them; they get ignored by 99% of the people walking past them. Even if most of the time I'm saying "Sorry, can't help "
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I ignore them

10+ Year Old Account
    straight beggers? yah i treat them like i treat begging in WoW, get a job and you wont have to beg anymore (go do a quest in WoW).

Street Performers? i dont consider that begging since they generally perform for a tip. meaning it isnt required that i give them money. although most street performances are really good, so i give a couple of dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.