Deleted

Making a new PC build - could use some advice! :)

Good day MMO-C

Before I start explaining my situation I'll just fill in the form to give you guys the basics, I'll see you down below.

• Budget
      I had €1500 for a "worst case scenario", I'd rather stick to €1200-1300 max though.
    • Resolution
      I am using a 1680x1050 monitor atm but planning on switching to 1920x1080p.
    • Games / Settings Desired
      I'm going for Ultra, I can live with shadows and some setting on medium high though.
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
      Video editing / amv making but only for fun...nothing professional.
    • Country
      I live in Belgium.
    • Parts that can be reused
      Hard drives (4TB) (I do need a new SSD)
    • Do you need an OS?
      Yes.
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
      No.
    • Where to buy?
      If possible I'd prefer to get as much parts as possible from the same website/e-shop with a 2 year warranty near me (Belgium). I wouldn't mind ordering from a country near me if the price difference is worth it.

Alright, no that we have that out of the way I can go into details. I already asked a buddy of mine to make up a build that he thinks would fill my needs from what I told him. He made a list for me and I thought I'd post here to check what you guys think of the build and whether you had ideas and whatnot.

So the list my buddy made was as following:
    http://tweakers.net/gallery/585111?w...#tab:wenslijst
    http://azerty.nl/winkelmandje/winkelmandje?product[708051]=1&bestel=%C2%A0

For those who'd rather stay on MMO-C

Now first of all I am interested in the opinions on how well this build would run new gen games. This build would be around €1050ish. I have a budget of 1200-1300 that I'm willing to spend so I was thinking there probably is room for an even better graphics card, unless you guys say it's better to save that and upgrade within a couple of years. If anyone has similar builds, how much fps can I expect to pull out of it and such.

I'm open to all suggestions and ideas, thanks in advance!

Deleted
    First off, get rid of that Builder PSU crap. No, really. Spend a little more on a solid PSU, such as the XFX Pro 650, or the Antec HCGM 620.

10+ Year Old Account
    Corsair makes some decent products, just not good entry PSU. Happens to a lot of companies with a very diverse range of products.

Other than that, you can lower the i7 to i5 4690k and reduce the cost while maintaining approximately the same performance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    First off, get rid of that Builder PSU crap. No, really. Spend a little more on a solid PSU, such as the XFX Pro 650, or the Antec HCGM 620.
    Alright I'll look into that, any special reason it's crap or is it just overall crap among Corsair?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Corsair makes some decent products, just not good entry PSU. Happens to a lot of companies with a very diverse range of products.

Other than that, you can lower the i7 to i5 4690k and reduce the cost while maintaining approximately the same performance.
    I compared those and they had pretty big difference in performance according to for example this here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2284&cmp[]=2275

I'm a complete noob when it comes to PC hardware so any insight on your thinking?

I compared those and they had pretty big difference in performance according to for example this here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2284&cmp[]=2275

I'm a complete noob when it comes to PC hardware so any insight on your thinking?
    Gaming can't take advantage of hyper threading, gaming threads can't run on the same core, so hyper threading is useless.

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smart...id=1061&page=4

As you can see here, on 1920 x 1080 with max settings, the i5 actually outperforms the i7 on some of the games, and when it doesn't the difference isn't even noticeable. Save the money on the i7 and get an i5.

10+ Year Old Account
    For benchmarks there's a difference mainly because benchmarks can take advantage of hyperthreading the i7 has. Gaming on the other hand isn't so much so. There are some games that handle multi-core set ups but it's not every and certainly not for quite a few MMOs if you're going for that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7963/t...-4360-tested/3
    This is for the non k (overclockable) versions but it should give you an idea on single thread vs multi thread.
    Look at the single thread benchmarks and you'll see that there isn't that big of a difference, certainly not a 50% (or 33% depending on perspective) price difference justification.

Deleted
    Vaiix you are still linking pre-refresh benchmarks, when the i5/i7 had no difference's other than HT, stop doing that on different threads and saying that i5 outperforms the i7. Maybe you need to check benchmarks for the new ones, i5 4690k/ i7 4790k. The op is doing video editing as well.
    Lets see at stocks mostly single threaded
    i5 4690k @ 4.4 same as stock i7 4790k.
    Both at stock and both clocked at 4.6GHz (Tombo raider is gpu bound so no dif).

The question at hand here is one: "can you afford it?"

edit: And just to make it clear. For gaming i5 4690k is the best performance/cost ratio, no doupt. But if you take the cost away the i7 4790k, not counting Ht, has better performance. Its up to the buyer to see if the performance difference justifies the cost.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2014-07-09 at 11:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Vaiix you are still linking pre-refresh benchmarks, when the i5/i7 had no difference's other than HT, stop doing that on different threads and saying that i5 outperforms the i7. Maybe you need to check benchmarks for the new ones, i5 4690k/ i7 4790k. The op is doing video editing as well.
    Lets see at stocks mostly single threaded
    i5 4690k @ 4.4 same as stock i7 4790k.
    Both at stock and both clocked at 4.6GHz (Tombo raider is gpu bound so no dif).

The question at hand here is one: "can you afford it?"

edit: And just to make it clear. For gaming i5 4690k is the best performance/cost ratio, no doupt. But if you take the cost away the i7 4790k, not counting Ht, has better performance. Its up to the buyer to see if the performance difference justifies the cost.
    Well if I'd not the take i7 then the question becomes whether I should go for the AMD FX 8350 or the Intel i5. I'm rather confused now though, is the i7 a lot better or not?

And if not, is there much difference between AMD FX 8350 and Intel i5?

Another question is how much difference does hyperthreading actually do in video editing?

Deleted
    Roughly 15-20% for rendering I believe so about 10 minutes saved for every hour of video rendered.

- - - Updated - - -

For power supply I suggest something like this:

Seasonic S12II Bronze 520W
    XFX 550W Pro

If you want modular:

Seasonic 520W M12II Evo
    Seasonic 620W M12II Evo

- - - Updated - - -

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K €205
    Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43 GAMING €110 (alternative: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI €113)
    CPUHS: Phanteks PH-TC12DX Black €52 (cheap alternative: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO €29)
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4) 1866MHz €75
    PSU: Seasonic 620W M12II Evo €70
    Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 €55
    SSD: Crucial 256GB MX100 €95
    GPU: MSI Gaming R9 280X 3GB €252

Total: €984 (with the more expensive CPU heatsink)

There is room in the budget for an R9 290 if you want something a little beefier (not a must by any means)

Sapphire R9 290 4GB GDDR5 OC TRI-X €345

Monitor suggestion if you're looking for that too:

Dell P2414H €199 || Review

Alternative cases:

Corsair Carbide 300R €64
    Corsair Carbide 300R Windowed €72
    Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Window €82
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-07-09 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    The Corsair Spec 01-02-03 support up to 157mm tall cpu coolers. So you may wanna look at 200R or the anternatives Notarget suggested.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    The Corsair Spec 01-02-03 support up to 157mm tall cpu coolers. So you may wanna look at 200R or the anternatives Notarget suggested.
    I'll shoot Partpicker an email because they've always showed difference compatibility for the Spec-02 compared to Spec-01 and 03.

Changed the heatsink suggestion to the Phanteks PH-TC12DX (Review) it's also a little cheaper, still looks pretty good.

Deleted
    Yes i know, i had seen the same when you first proposed this new case series a while ago and i liked it. One day getting one of those for a rig setup my eye went on width of case, and one thing brought the other...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah also the Phanteks just barely fits, 157mm lol

Deleted
    The Fractal case is actually pretty good.

Deleted
    On the topics of cases, any reason the cases posted lateron would be better then the one I posted? I prefer to get an explanation of why I should by something.