Poll: Would you pay to play on a Vanilla server?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

I wonder if there is any profit for Blizz in a vanilla server

I am fairly sure that there will not be a huge number of players that will pay to play on a vanilla server, but how many would Blizzard need to make a profit, I wonder? Let's say one server in each region running 1.12.1.

Would you pay to play on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    They wouldn't make profit from it.

First, they've made it clear that a good portion of the code from that time period is gone. Database changes have likely come in over the years that can't be reversed or restored. Second, how do they weave into that code exploit fixes without altering the base game? Then they'd need specific support people just for these special servers running an old version of the game and, of course, they'd all have to be separate from the rest of the players and game. Segregation is always bad for business.

I prefer a chocolate server. I'd pay for that!

Deleted
    this game is really old in it's current form, and you wan't to bring it back in the past even more? lol

I played it once already.

It's never coming back, period.

No matter how much you cry and beg and whine Blizzard has said it's never, ever, ever, ever coming back.

These topics should just be locked upon creation tbh.

15+ Year Old Account
    I tried a vanilla server once. Once.

There is also what patch do you make the server?

It might have a group of people playing at the start. As soon as people realized how long things took and that you had to go and get a dozen different add ons made obsolete over the last 8 years the shine would fade. Nevermind the fact that the populations would be sparse and that would get plenty to stop playing too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    First, they've made it clear that a good portion of the code from that time period is gone. Database changes have likely come in over the years that can't be reversed or restored.

And yet the evil we do not speak of (private servers...oops) manage to have some pretty popular vanilla servers, tbc servers and wotlk servers last time I looked - all running the relevant version of the game...if individuals can set them up I'm pretty sure Blizz can manage it too. Whether they could be arsed is another matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Let us put it this way: With people raging about Blizzard being greedy and if that is true...then there would be Vanilla servers if money could be made of them.

A quick calculation ofc shows that you would need RP pvp, RP pve, PvE and pvp servers in US, at least 4 asian languages and about 10 European languages, which makes not ONE server but actually about SIXTY servers.

Now ask that question again.
    No, I don't mean for them to run this as a flagship product. They create a version 1.12.1 pvp server in each region and that is it. Some people will play on it and some will not, up to themselves if they want to or not.

The question is, how may subscriptions would be needed to make it profitable enough?

And yes, I know they said it will never happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It might have a group of people playing at the start. As soon as people realized how long things took and that you had to go and get a dozen different add ons made obsolete over the last 8 years the shine would fade. Nevermind the fact that the populations would be sparse and that would get plenty to stop playing too.
    Yeah, I think this would be the actual showstopper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Now ask that question again.
    Actually, the OP asked how many people playing would they need to make a profit.

And while many of you started foaming at the mouth and ragefully declaring that it's impossible and you don't care, nobody actually bothered to attempt and answer him...

I recently played on a vanilla private server. It was a horrible experience. I am certain it is nostalgia that makes people think it was a good game. There was no auto self cast. You had to target yourself to cast a shield or heal, then target the enemy again. You had no idea where to pick up quests or where to go to do them. Even using websites that gave guides to finish quests you would run out of quests and endlessly farm mobs to gain levels. Class' and specs were broken. On my warrior that I started I couldnt use my only special attack, heroic strike, until like level 10 because I couldnt generate rage. Litterally auto attacked everything until level 10. Wow great game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Egzis View Post
    I swear, if vanilla was released right now with updated graphics, it would be the laughing stock of the decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    This whole thread explains in a pretty nice manner how can Beliebers exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    And yet the evil we do not speak of (private servers...oops) manage to have some pretty popular vanilla servers, tbc servers and wotlk servers last time I looked - all running the relevant version of the game...if individuals can set them up I'm pretty sure Blizz can manage it too. Whether they could be arsed is another matter.
    You know why they're popular? because they're free and people like being thieves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    You know why they're popular? because they're free and people like being thieves.
    Filthy, tricksy hobbitses. Stealing something they cannot purchase legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post

'popular'

Best Vanilla Pserver I see has 3k max online.

That's cringe worthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Most of those are heavily modified to support a lot of things Blizzard did not - this includes extra vendors to sell/give starting gear, instant level 60/70's, queue preference, donations, in-game currency & shops, and most don't work nearly as well as the original classic game did. They sometimes are missing spells, talents, effects, and mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    They wouldn't make profit from it.

First, they've made it clear that a good portion of the code from that time period is gone. Database changes have likely come in over the years that can't be reversed or restored. Second, how do they weave into that code exploit fixes without altering the base game? Then they'd need specific support people just for these special servers running an old version of the game and, of course, they'd all have to be separate from the rest of the players and game. Segregation is always bad for business.
    This is a complete bullshit excuse from Blizzard. No company as big as Blizzard would ever throw out any code or builds from previous WoW incarnations. I'm sure we all know there are private Vanilla and Burning Crusade WoW servers out there which are 90% or more like retail was. These servers are maintained by people with 1/10000th the resources of Blizzard. If Blizzard wanted to, they could easily have straight-up 100% working Vanilla and TBC servers that were exactly like retail.

They simply don't want to and have decided it's not a good business decision. The excuse they don't have the code any more is simply unbelievable and laughable in the extreme.

I feel like they would be extremely popular at first.. but slowly die away as people start getting bored of doing the same content for years on end.

No, just no.

This idea has been done to death and it's always no.