Two cops shot each other during domestic dispute, one died

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/25972989/...g#.U728HfldV9U

ESTERO - The Lee County Sheriff's Office says two Naples Police Department officers were involved in a deadly shooting that happened early Wednesday morning in Estero.

Deputies responded to a domestic dispute call at a home on Sunset Lake Ct in the Lakes of Estero community just before 1 a.m.

The sheriff's office says two Naples Police officers lived at the home as a couple. The officers -- identified as Luis Monroig, 37, and Amy Young, 40 -- were found in the home suffering from gunshot wounds when they arrived.

They were taken to Lee Memorial Hospital, where Monroig later died.

According to the Naples Police Department, Young - a mother of two - has been with the department for 14 years. Monroig was a 10-year veteran officer also with the department.

"It's a sad day for all law enforcement," said Jeff Dektas, with the sheriff's office. "They've been handling it on their end... what they need to prepare for at the Naples Police Department, which I'm sure is traumatic. Unfortunately they have to deal with it on a personal level. They actually know these folks, so it's going to be tough on them."

"Our department's hurting at this time. We're a small police department. It's very unordinary for anybody to go through," said Naples Police Chief Tom Weschler. "We have critical incident trained officers that are working and communicating with our officers. They've attended roll calls and just talking to everybody. Just trying to see where everybody's at."

Deputies won't say how gunfire was exchanged, but confirmed it started as a domestic dispute.

Residents tell us the neighborhood has been nothing but quiet and safe. They say it's a place where kids play outside and everyone gets along.

"It's pretty serious. Quite the shocker to have it happen here where, you know, we're all pretty close and know each other. I would have never had expected anything like that to ever happen," said neighbor Dexter Miller.

Neighbors tell us the couple moved into the home last year and always appeared in good spirits.

"They moved in and immediately renovated the home and have taken care of it. They seemed like great neighbors," said Todd Goodman, who lives nearby.

Lakes of Estero is located just south of Corkscrew Road, directly across from Estero High School. Deputies say the public is not in any danger.

We are working to find out Young's condition.

According to her personnel file, Sgt. Amy Young was married to Sgt. Robert Young. Family members say Amy Young and Robert Young are divorced and have two daughters together.

Both Young and Monroig received a number of awards and accolades. Monroig was five days away from his 11-year anniversary with the Naples Police Department.
    http://www.nbc-2.com/clip/10347580/t...g-1-dead-11-am

Even though it is Florida, crazy stuff like this doesn't really happen in this town. Be interesting to see what ends up happening though...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is a sad tragedy for sure. But I lived in Florida for 2 years and have a daughter who has been down there for over 10 years. Unless you are rich enough to afford to live in a gated community, the whole state sucks. That is just my opinion I know, but I can not help feeling that way about that State.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is a sad tragedy for sure. But I lived in Florida for 2 years and have a daughter who has been down there for over 10 years. Unless you are rich enough to afford to live in a gated community, the whole state sucks. That is just my opinion I know, but I can not help feeling that way about that State.
    Eh I have lived here too long, and most of that time I haven't liked it. The past year or so I've learned to really appreciate it though. The main problems for Florida is that it is really 2 different type of states in one...and it's dominated by one political party.

Deleted
    What the hell happened that caused this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Two people who happened to both be cops had a dispute that escalated to violence, and they shot each other in their own home. I'm not sure what is specifically noteworthy about this.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    What the hell happened that caused this?
    He just wouldn't put the toilet seat down....

Is the woman NOT being charged with murder? Huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Is the woman NOT being charged with murder? Huh?
    Well the article states that they haven't yet found out how the gunfire was exchanged, so I'm assuming they're investigating.

They've got some footage of the situation

Sorry, just totally made me think of this lol

guns dont kill people.. [sarcasm] true story [/sarcasm]

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    A man kills his parents with a baseball bat.... [ seriously ] true story [ seriously ].

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    A man kills his parents with a baseball bat.... [ seriously ] true story [ seriously ].
    Guns don''t kill people by themselves. Baseball bats don't kill people by themselves.

Guns make it exponentially easier, then say, using a baseball bat, to kill people. This is the only "true story" you need to understand.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people!

with guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    Oh come off it. This is fucking Florida if someone wants you dead there they will kill you whether it's with their teeth or a gun someone is getting hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guessing the argument was over who was the better shot. Now we know.

Sounds like an example of "no great loss there". I don't really want particularly violent, short tempered people to be the faces of law enforcement. If you're enough of an asshole to gun down your domestic partner, you're enough of an asshole to do just about anything. Hopefully the survivor won't be handed a gun and badge going forward.

Wow, cop vs. cop when on power trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Sounds like an example of "no great loss there". I don't really want particularly violent, short tempered people to be the faces of law enforcement. If you're enough of an asshole to gun down your domestic partner, you're enough of an asshole to do just about anything. Hopefully the survivor won't be handed a gun and badge going forward.
    spectral knows all - the survivor could have simply returned fire once shot...

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Two people who happened to both be cops had a dispute that escalated to violence, and they shot each other in their own home. I'm not sure what is specifically noteworthy about this.
    I dunno, it's pretty random. I thought it was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While I generally agree, we should wait until they have reconstructed the shooting, eg. who started it. Since both were shot I would at least expect them to have gone through a smal period of holding each other at gunpoint. Maybe she was just trying to disable him but hit vital organs. Cops, despite people expecting it otherwise, tend to be terrible shooters, when it comes to real life application of their shooting skills, as they keep showing whenever they want to disable a target but end up killing them. The article is sadly 80% about their 'poor' fellow cops and little to no facts about what actually happened.