Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

UFO In Chile - Hoax or What?

First of all, I know what UFO stands for. It's not extraterrestrial by default.

I came by an article in one of Swedens most popular newspaper a few days ago.

Aftonbladet Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article19205461.ab
    For the non-swedes: http://www.latintimes.com/chile-ufo-...fo-seen-189687

The Aftonbladet article has 3 pictures of the object you can skim through. It's radiating heat, reflecting sunlight etc, it's not a drone, nor is it weather-related. This is a solid object as far as experts can tell.

They both say the same thing. I did some research about this incident last night because of reasons, mainly boredom. It seems as if photoshop experts have a hard time finding any manipulations here. They can't label it as a hoax just yet.

Question is, do you believe that this incident, or any other UFO incident EVER has been the real thing? (extra-terrestrial) Forget about how far advanced civilizations have to travel. It's not relevant here at all, since we don't know how advanced they are. (think Alcubierre Drive) that's something we've just scratched the surface on.

Let's say they have something we'll find in a few centuries. We can't just measure their intelligence based on how far we've come.
    That's completely and utterly arrogant and grandeur'ish. So what's your opinion on the matter?
    Last edited by mmoc87911d0539; 2014-07-11 at 11:20 AM.

Since you have Neil deGrasse Tyson as your avatar pic, I'll follow his advice and believe it when I see it. Anybody can doctor a picture, and being part of a government agency doesn't make you any less likely to be credulous/gullible.

Deleted
    are we alone in the universe ? doubtful.
    even if 99.999% of all the events that throughout history have been seen, recorded, or are talked about are fake, natural or explained. It still leaves that tiny possibility that we are being visited.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe there is life out there, because the universe is so large there must be life of some kind. But, I do not believe aliens visit earth and fly around.

It could very well be the real deal. Maybe the UFO doesn't have any lifeforms inside, perhaps they're just drones. Aren't we doing that already? Sending robots and spacecraft to other planets and flying through the universe? So is it really out of the question that an alien civilization that is millions of years ahead of us hasn't figured out space travel? I hear this argument all the time "Why would an advanced civilization bother with us if they're so advanced" I ask this question "Why are we so interested in studying ants" Because we're curious and want to learn more about the species.

Yes, it's an Unidentified Flying Object ... That doesn't mean it's an alien.

hmm self replicating drones to explore the galaxy? :P guess its plausible

Deleted
    It has never been the real thing. If one claims that it is, he is free to present the evidence. Most UFO claims can be explained away simply and logically. For instance, the Roswell Incident is pure nonsense, as the likelihood of an extraterrestrial spacecraft being witnessed by a vast number of people, documented physically and digitally, and thereafter being kept a secret for decades, is exceptionally low. Government documents are leaked constantly. Officials can hardly keep secrets to save their guts, let alone something as important as alien life visiting us.

It's all nonsense. Try to consider whether or not aliens would be interested in interacting with us in the first place.

Deleted
    Another extremely out of focus object in the sky with the form of a disc... It can be anything, even a extraterrestrial spaceship, though I would say it is more likely that is something else than that.

Regarding the question about previous sighting and the entire idea of extraterrestrial having visited earth. No, not really, the odds of them having technology to observe us either in a stealthy way or just very far away (from a satellite of some sort), is highly likely. I certainly don't think they be observing us in a spaceship with its lights on. That is like a scientist trying to observe deers, wearing a LED headband that flashes, it would be very strange. However, logic is hard to reflect onto a different race, from a different planet.

When it comes to intelligence, OPs avatar said something really good. Look at a primate and then at a human, primates can learn sign language over their entire life, a human baby can learn the same amount within a year (mostly because it is a inborn ability), if not in less time. Compare that to a highly intelligent alien race that might learn quantum physiques in their infant years, again because it could be an inborn ability.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2014-07-11 at 12:33 PM.

Deleted
    If real, there will be hundreds of pictures/movies of the same sighting, because everyone and their dead grandparents have devices with proper camera's in them.

The 4 witnesses are not cooperating with the investigators even with a guarantee of anonymity. Not the greatest endorsement for this not being a hoax.

Deleted
    Just your typical UFO encounter. Nothing special here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    People can't ever take a video too? Those are some high quality photos, so I'm betting that it was a smart phone and it had recording feature.

Makes me think it's fake because they just took pictures.
    Even videos are almost always in poor quality. People record nearly everything in HD. Not so much when interacting with their alien friends. I wonder why. Moreover, everything in the digital age can be made to look real on a display. See how Game of Thrones is enhanced digitally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgvuywT9oM

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I believe there is life out there, because the universe is so large there must be life of some kind. But, I do not believe aliens visit earth and fly around.
    This. A lot of UFO's reports are secret military projects. Others can be explained by connecting them to natural weather or other stuff. Expect to see more and more now too because of private owner ship and use of drones.

It might be military, it might be a natural phenomenon, it might be a hoax. What it definitely isn't, however, is an alien space-ship.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2014-07-11 at 01:12 PM.

Aftonbladet is a sensationalist evening paper, I would await more reliable information before even considering if it could be real.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Why do all "alien" ships on pictures have to look like the standard movie flying saucers?

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Why do all "alien" ships on pictures have to look like the standard movie flying saucers?
    Probably the same reason the "greys" description is so common...and why Jesus is usually depicted as a bearded white guy. It's what people expect and what they're familiar with. Besides, since conventional aircraft don't look like that, it's harder to dismiss them as just a mistaken sighting. Because seeing an airplane or helicopter flying around wouldn't be remarkable.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because that's how they generate their super speed....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Aftonbladet is a sensationalist evening paper, I would await more reliable information before even considering if it could be real.
    Agreed, if it is in the Aftobladet, then you know its a hoax....