Question about MSI MPOWER MAX AC Motherboard

So I've been contemplating building a new enthusiast machine and I'm really digging the MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC Motherboard for a few reasons. But I had a question about their nifty watercooling heatsink that's built into the motherboard itself.

I've always run AiO liquid cooling, and this would be my first custom cooled system. How does the heatsink on this motherboard work for that? Does it simply replace the need for a separate block? Do I still need a fan or something that sits on top of the CPU?

Also any other thoughts on this are appreciated.

The fittings on that board just give you the option to liquid cool the motherboard's components. You'll still need a CPU and GPU liquid block along with your pump/reservoir/radiators/etc. A full loop would run you around $550-750~ in supplies.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    The fittings on that board just give you the option to liquid cool the motherboard's components. You'll still need a CPU and GPU liquid block along with your pump/reservoir/radiators/etc. A full loop would run you around $550-750~ in supplies.
    Got it, interesting okay. That makes sense as I was reading individual reviews of people also having an air cooling component on the CPU itself. Thanks.

Sometimes the crazy high end motherboards have a tiny fan on them to cool themselves if you're not liquid cooling its components, maybe that's what you saw?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Sometimes the crazy high end motherboards have a tiny fan on them to cool themselves if you're not liquid cooling its components, maybe that's what you saw?
    No, but I know what you're talking about. They use air cooling for the CPU heatsink and they don't use the custom motherboard water heatsink. Don't know why...but thats what I was reading.