Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Thumbs up Orc and Human architecture in WoD -_-

I can kind of understand why the garrisons have the human/orc themed buildings... But whats really making my balls hurt is the fact that Ashran is using the same style of buildings!......

Why can't blizzard come up with decent new ideas and concepts for this?!? i wish i had contacts within blizz HQ because im feeling quite frazzled about this

Why can't we have a quest where we help a group of Nightelves capture the plot of land on Ashran. Then they can plant some magical tree that
    (after an epic cut-scene) grows into a huge hollow tree that we use as our main city! with stairwells formed from branches and nooks and crannys! with the flight point protruding out onto a bark branched platform on the 5th story!

Same goes for the Horde... Why cant the horde send the trolls or the forsaken... Horde could have an epic troll base like Gundrak. or the Blood elves could conjure a base with magic to resemble Silvermoon... Hell, the forsaken have had some awesome quest hub towns that the base could be modeled on...

I'm just tired of this Orcs vs Hoomans nonsense! Let some other races shine for once!.........

/end rant

Deleted
    Alliance garrison has some heavy dwarven themed architecture, as well as the ability to customise what race of guards you want for your Garrison. I think a mixture will be available for both factions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. I know Orcs vs Humans was the main theme from the beginning but the story evolved so much. But I guess they want to maintain the art style because it has became iconic: Horde = spikes, bones and iron, Alliance = castles and stones.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was the same for the dumb bikes wasn't it? Seems it's the most easy way to do things.

Sucks.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i reealy liked arthases and sylvanases undead buildings eather.. i hate dwarven and any other architecture instead of human/orc/undead

First thing they said at Blizzcon is that they were trying to get back to roots with this expansion. The plot and setting are entirely an excuse to bring back characters from WC1 who are dead in the main timeline. Orcs and humans were always going to take center stage. It was, in fact, the entire point of it.

There will be quest hubs with different aesthetics. I understand there's a blood elf contingent somewhere on the continent. There are ogre and draenei towns. And garrisons have some different building flavors - the Workshop large building is entirely goblin/gnomish right now, and I suspect there will be more along those lines. But for the main bases, it's hardly surprising that they're doing the red and blue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give me Blood Elven architecture and I'll cry out of joy!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Alliance garrison has some heavy dwarven themed architecture, as well as the ability to customise what race of guards you want for your Garrison. I think a mixture will be available for both factions.

I saw a picture, a human guard and a centinel elve, in the town center garrison alliance, que can put a mixure humnas, huargens, dwarf gnomes and dranei in our garrison?

Quote Originally Posted by kaykas View Post
    I saw a picture, a human guard and a centinel elve, in the town center garrison alliance, que can put a mixure humnas, huargens, dwarf gnomes and dranei in our garrison?
    Not in the beta as of yet, its the first ive even heard of that as an option.

I think only the dwarven bunker has dwarf theme, there is like 90% human theme and then some hints of other races in the dwarven bunker and gnome workshop. Also I don't think you can customize your guards now, it could be something they remove.

Well WoD ist this ->

all over again. At least for the first view patches..

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's awesome. The Alliance had some great additions and changes in the past, but the core is still very much the same as always.
    I understand that it's worst for the horde because they're far less united because of blood elves and forsaken, and because it's ugly as hell. Not all of the horde players are old timers and that lok'tar ogar doesn't have the same meaning it did before so yeah, it's easier for the Alliance.

Deleted
    I just think they've created some very beautiful architectural styles which don't get much use because of human and orc styles: blood elf, high elf, nouveau forsaken, worgen, etc. I thought Pandaria was extremely beautiful from an artistic point of view and that it had a great deal of detail which I'm sure a lot of people didn't notice or give a crap about, but which I enjoyed a lot. After that, I think it will be a bit hard to go back to bland architecture again, and I hope that at least there are different racial hubs around.

Deleted
    Then that sounds as if garrisons will look more diversified than the faction hubs. At which point I'm wondering, why does the faction hub look less interesting than instanced player housing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Then that sounds as if garrisons will look more diversified than the faction hubs. At which point I'm wondering, why does the faction hub look less interesting than instanced player housing?
    They aren't really that diverse. Here are the buildings themselves:

http://wod.wowhead.com/buildings

Pretty much all human and orc, there is the JC and Alchemy buildings for the horde that have some racial stylings though. Other than that it's mostly just human and orc.

Might just be me but I feel like the Horde gets shafted a little more by this as well. If only because the human architecture is more generic than orc, so I find it easier to see night elves and draenei and gnomes hanging out in human buildings than say blood elves and forsaken in orc. But it does still suck.

I mean it makes sense since the garrisons are built with forces from sw/org and you're representing your faction there it's not your personal playhouse. It's not really player housing, not in the traditional sense. But it's disappointing to hear about the Ashran hubs. Not only does the location look like it was either a last minute decision and it was too late to put them somewhere that makes sense like gorgrond or tanaan or else an attempt to get more people to do Ashran, but if it's the same general human/orc art kits it's just a disappointing shift. Why do these have to be the 'hubs?' Why are these the main focus points of the alliance and horde efforts? Isn't that what the Garrisons are story wise? Why not just put the portals/vendors etc at Karabor/Bladespire and then when you need npcs for quests that relate to the alliance/horde war effort, put them in the garrison?

I miss BC when each race had at least 1 base and they weren't all generic human bases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Forsaken and Belfs should not be happy about this. They're mostly part of the Horde for convenience. They tolerate being around Orcs and Tauren but it's not anywhere close to , say, Colonial British being infatuated with Africa and the culture. Being forced to live in the primitive structures of lesser cultures can't be sitting well with them.
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 2014-07-13 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    I agree. I know Orcs vs Humans was the main theme from the beginning but the story evolved so much. But I guess they want to maintain the art style because it has became iconic: Horde = spikes, bones and iron, Alliance = castles and stones.
    I don't understand how people come to conclusions like this. It takes a lot of hours to design the artwork for the buildings. You're basically saying "hey, spend weeks/months on buildings for multiple races for the garrisons rather then making new models or buildings for the new Draenor continent and raids". THAT'S why we are getting horde/human buildings. It's not cause 'it's easier' or 'they are just lazy'. It's cause it's quite a massive undertaking artwise to create all those buildings and for no other reason then having it be purely cosmetic. Now, you could argue with all the money Blizzard makes off WoW they should increase their art team and we could have had more buildings.