Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer build for a friend

Hey guys. I am trying to help my friend with parts to build a computer and I know you guys are really well informed about computer builds. So I was hoping you could help me out with a couple things. I want to make sure the parts I have are compatible and are the best choices out there. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-...words=i5+4690k
    http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modul...6&keywords=ram
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131989
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00D3F7CFK
    or http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeo...radeon+hd+7950
    Now a have a couple questions about the build. I figured this is something you guys would def know. I'm looking for a case that would be able to fit a 2.5" SSD. A hard drive. And a cd/dvd burner in it. I was hoping to keep the case under $70.00. I was also wondering how powerful of a power supply I would need.

If you guys see any pieces in my list that you think I could do better on I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by mikeakanice; 2014-07-13 at 06:58 PM.

Deleted
    • Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Overkill with the board. However a great discount. Still overkill

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    • Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    Budget: I'm trying to keep anywhere from 1k to 1300 USD
    Games: He wants to use it as his primary gaming machine to play games like watch dog and mmos at ultra settings and for school
    No intensive software
    Hard drive, mouse, keyboard, he has a 1920 x 1080 monitor he can reuse
    I think we can find him a windows 8.1 copy so no
    No, I believe we all the peripherals needed

I'd like to get him an ssd drive. I was thinking http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFAGCWK/?tag=pcpapi-20

I'd like to keep it closer to the lower end of the price spectrum. Of course if we need to go to the 1300 price we can

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($372.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1075.41
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Windowed version of the case if you prefer:

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed

Slightly cheaper option if you wanna push the budget closer to 1k:

Corsair 200R
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-07-13 at 09:18 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($120.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($372.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1055.41
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Would that case also hold a mechanical hard drive along with the cd burner and ssd? Thanks for the list btw!
    Also it looks like the graphics card is actually $418 at superbiiz
    Last edited by mikeakanice; 2014-07-13 at 09:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeakanice View Post
    Would that case also hold a mechanical hard drive along with the cd burner and ssd? Thanks for the list btw!
    Edited the case choice but yes there is room for all of it regardless of which you pick.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Edited the case choice but yes there is room for all of it regardless of which you pick.
    Thanks a bunch. Is there a gpu a little lower priced than that but can still meet my friends wishes for gpu output?
    Also would http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Modula...wer+supply+750 work as well as the power supply you suggested. It's higher wattage and has the bronze rating. Plus, it's cheaper
    Last edited by mikeakanice; 2014-07-13 at 09:48 PM.

Deleted
    Asus TOP R9 280X $290
    XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition $280

The CX series from Corsair is no good. Also the EVGA is cheaper if you consider the rebate. You don't need higher wattage 550W is even more than enough.

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W $60 but again $20 rebate
    XFX Pro 550W $50 ($10 rebate, not modular)

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Asus TOP R9 280X $290
    XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition $280

The CX series from Corsair is no good. Also the EVGA is cheaper if you consider the rebate. You don't need higher wattage 550W is even more than enough.

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W $60 but again $20 rebate
    XFX Pro 550W $50 ($10 rebate, not modular)
    What exactly is wrong with the consair? It has a 4.8 rating out of 305 reviews and it's amazons no.1 best seller of power supplies? Also the video cards listed aren't getting very good ratings. OR am I looking too much into them?

Deleted
    Asus 208X TOP Review
    XFX 280X Black Edition Review

I have the Asus card myself, I have nothing to complain about. Don't put too much stock into customer comments, there is no controlled environment, different experience levels and people tend to post more when they have something to complain about.

Regarding the power supply, trust me the CX series is not very good and very hit or miss, the CWT OEM is meh at best. I've seen several builds with burned out and failed units. They sell a lot because they're cheap and it's Corsair so a lot of people assume it's good. They do have good units but this is not one of them. Also higher wattage isn't equal higher quality. The other power supplies I suggested are around the same price +-, risking it with lower quality isn't worth saving a few dollars.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2014-07-13 at 10:32 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Asus 208X TOP Review
    XFX 280X Black Edition Review

I have the Asus card myself, I have nothing to complain about. Don't put too much stock into customer comments, there is no controlled environment, different experience levels and people tend to post more when they have something to complain about.

Regarding the power supply, trust me the CX series is not very good and very hit or miss, the CWT OEM is meh at best. I've seen several builds with burned out and failed units. They sell a lot because they're cheap and it's Corsair so a lot of people assume it's good. They do have good units but this is not one of them. Also higher wattage isn't equal higher quality. The other power supplies I suggested are around the same price +-, risking it with lower quality isn't worth saving a few dollars.
    Okay. I'll go with your advice. The computer forums on this site has never steered me wrong before so I know you guys know what your talking about. One last question. Would I be better off getting the xfx 650w instead of the 550? Thanks again for all your help

Deleted
    Yeah I did notice the 650W wasn't that much more, I guess it will give you a little more headroom should you ever crossfire/SLI. 550W is till plenty fine for the setup.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I did notice the 650W wasn't that much more, I guess it will give you a little more headroom should you ever crossfire/SLI. 550W is till plenty fine for the setup.
    Okay. Thank you sooo much for your help. You win the internet for the day.

Deleted
    You're welcome