Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help identifying a ring?

I bought this from a car booty when I was a kid, I found it recently while clearing out and want to know what/where it's from. Any help?

Clearer-ish pic

- - - Updated - - -

Finally found what the sigil is

http://www.ngw.nl/int/mex/mx-nat.htm

Here's the inside mark:

My curiosity is killing me, please if anyone knows anything about it or similar looking ones please help me.
    Last edited by -Skye; 2014-07-13 at 07:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    It's car boot, not car booty. The things you buy arn't booty, they're discarded shit. Sold from out the back of a car boot

Does it matter? Jesus christ, my parents called it a car booty when I was growing up. Get over it lol.
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    It looks like a memorable type of seal thing for a service member, my grandad had one for his time in the AAC amongst other things, aside from that, your guess is as good as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    Does it matter? Jesus christ, my parents called it a car booty when I was growing up. Get over it lol.
    So did mine

You're not alone with parents referring to car boot sales as a car booty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Skye View Post
    No, it doesn't matter, I just thought I'd say in case you didn't know, so that if it ever came up on a pub quiz one day you wouldn't lose out.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    No, it doesn't matter, I just thought I'd say in case you didn't know, so that if it ever came up on a pub quiz one day you wouldn't lose out.
    I'm going to have to use that one occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Put it in the fireplace and see if that reveals the hidden markings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks a bit like the Marines insignia to me.

source; my stepdad was a sergeant in the Marines & has lots of stuff w/ this insignia : )
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

Clearer-ish pic

- - - Updated - - -

Finally found what the sigil is

http://www.ngw.nl/int/mex/mx-nat.htm

Here's the inside mark:

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't identify the ring, but the symbol's the Coat of Arms of Mexico; an eagle eating a snake, perched on a prickly pear cactus;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Mexico

Deleted
    Mexican druglords ring. Run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think real gold discolors like that.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Mexican druglords ring. Run.
    Can't tell if serious.

Also no, it's not real gold. But it's really old and hand made and I really really really want to know its origin

Judging by the Mexican coat of arms , the fact that it was sold out of a car trunk and the patina suggests that it's just made of really cheap brass it was made by a Mexican person for the purpose of hocking it to tourists in order to put dinner on the table.

I collect Mexican tourist trap art. I've never seen a ring but my collection focuses primarily on paintings.

Some of it is crap , but some of it you can actually see that a lot of effort went into it.

Some of it is mass produced in sweat shops owned by American "entrepreneurs" (such as the velvet paintings in the 60s and 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlily View Post
    Looks a bit like the Marines insignia to me.

source; my stepdad was a sergeant in the Marines & has lots of stuff w/ this insignia : )
    That's not even bloody close to the USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor. I'm a Marine so it's near and dear to me, but come on...

That's the Marine EGA. Aside from the fact that they both have eagles, they don't look remotely alike. It's clearly of Mexican origin, look at their flag.
    Last edited by Vercigentorix; 2014-07-14 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercigentorix View Post
    That's not even bloody close to the USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor. I'm a Marine so it's near and dear to me, but come on...

That's the Marine EGA. Aside from the fact that they both have eagles, they don't look remotely alike. It's clearly of Mexican origin, look at their flag.
    ooOOo, you should probably ATTACK & berate me for it! raaaahhhrrrggghhhuuung. :D

The 1st ORIGINAL pic provided was sideways, tilted 90° to the side & also from the side of the ring & quite fuckin' blurry to me, & has since been removed, which is likely why OP calls this pic "clearer-ish".

edit~ went through my history tab & found orig OP pic

All that was basically visible was an eagle-type bird, wings out, a possible squiggly bit in or near its mouth & some rounded bump was slightly visible underneath it/near its feet. Because I equate that style of eagle with spread wings with my Stepdad & his love of the Marines & after so many yrs having Marines memorabilia around my Mom & Stepdad's home it's the 1st thing that popped into my mind as a possibility, which is also why I said it "looks a bit like" it to me in my original reply.

So settle down there big guy. Just simmer down now & Semper Fi~
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2014-07-14 at 01:29 AM.
    kintsukuroi
    ‘golden repair’, is the Japanese art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer. The aesthetic philosophy focuses on imperfections rather than attempting to disguise them, with the intention that the piece becomes both more valuable and more beautiful because of its history and for having been broken.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlily View Post
    ooOOo, you should probably ATTACK & berate me for it! raaaahhhrrrggghhhuuung.

The 1st ORIGINAL pic provided was sideways, tilted 90° to the side & also from the side of the ring & quite fuckin' blurry to me, & has since been removed, which is likely why OP calls this pic "clearer-ish".

edit~ went through my history tab & found orig OP pic

All that was basically visible was an eagle-type bird, wings out, a possible squiggly bit in or near its mouth & some rounded bump was slightly visible underneath it/near its feet. Because I equate that style of eagle with spread wings with my Stepdad & his love of the Marines & after so many yrs having Marines memorabilia around my Mom & Stepdad's home it's the 1st thing that popped into my mind as a possibility, which is also why I said it "looks a bit like" it to me in my original reply.

So settle down there big guy. Just simmer down now & Semper Fi~
    That original picture does change things, I can partially see how you could see a resemblance to it. I, having the EGA become a part of my way of life, am able to identify it instantly while you only have tertiary dealings with it. I apologize. Semper Fi to your stepfather.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whatever it is, it's from Mexicans. Well, it could be from Mexicants.

A cookie to anyone that knows the reference.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    I'll throw it up on imgur and see if anyone bites , I'll post back if there is anything helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently it is possibly a mexican biker ring , if you google the term you will find similar rings.

Guess I'll never know what it's from, thanks for the attempt at helping guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    I'll throw it up on imgur and see if anyone bites , I'll post back if there is anything helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently it is possibly a mexican biker ring , if you google the term you will find similar rings.

This one looks similar but way more professional, I guess I'll never find the "true origin" of it, if it was from some biker gang.