Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Why is wanting to kill a cop so special? Wanting to kill is disgusting, regardless of the job you exercise.

- - - Updated - - -

And look how well that turns out for you guys. You have the right to bear arms, that doesn't mean it is smart to do so. It's hard for me (like many from the EU) to understand why one feels the need to have a gun on them outside of sports. Isn't it a problem when you feel like you need a gun to feel safe? Or the fact you don't trust the government to protect you?

I mean, I have plenty of doubts about my government, but I trust that they train the armed forces to use guns in a proper manner.
    The 2nd amendment was created so people could own guns in order to be able to quickly form a National Guard (the year 1791, the US was poor and was still far from having established the level of Federal government's involvement in local affairs).

Basically this trend toward being able to own any gun for any use without limit is a rather new construct skewed far from the Forefathers' intent in the Bill of Rights. It was originally so we could raise a defensive army quickly in the formative years of our nation. The propaganda machine gun has fired many more bullets of Spin on this issue than real bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
    In United States v. Cruikshank (1876), the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that, "The right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence" and limited the applicability of the Second Amendment to the federal government.[9] In United States v. Miller (1939), the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government and the states could limit any weapon types not having a “reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia”
    Even in the mid-20th century, we didn't have this "right" for everyone, regardless of mental handicap or illness or malicious intent to have large mag semi-automatics.

For reference, I have 5 firearms in the room with me right now, and my family probably has enough firepower to contribute heavily to such a militia and my father and I have a combined 40 years of US military service... that doesn't mean I think I should have such a privilege no matter what.
    Last edited by Neptuno; 2014-07-15 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    And I appreciate your job, but it still doesn't compare. The weight of a mistake and stress is so far ahead of so many jobs it's laughable to compare some of them. Let me ask YOU something, why is it that hundreds of thousands of cops must be put under the guillotine for the actions of a few? Media, and many of you fall for it all the time. This right here is a perfect example. It's roles reversed and you STILL have people scrutinizing past officer's actions on the basis of a fallen officer's planned ambush and murder. You don't find that the least bit fucked up? No, many don't apparently. It's more important to judge the actions of the past and irrelevant. Show me loads of jobs where this happens and a human life is involved on a daily basis.
    You are contradicting yourself in every post though. You say "the stress is not comparable to other jobs", which on it's own is a comparison towards others jobs. Then you state that we can't talk or give our opinions on the job as we don't know the job, yet you don't know other jobs either, nor the police officer job, as you stated you just are grateful. So I'm concluding you are not an actual police officer.

Regarding your "the weight of a mistake". Nurses, doctors, various other medical personal, which is one of the biggest % of employment in the world, have daily life deciding actions they need to take.

As to your question for ME: You don't think it's normal for people who carry a firearm around and are allowed to use it in various circumstances, to be closely monitored? Yes, like I stated media blows it up, just like it does with 99% of other things, but sadly the baseline of the story is true.
    As it is now, rotten apples are not filtered out quickly enough imo. They are protected a lot of times by the force as it would be bad PR to acknowledge their mistakes, specially in a shoot out. I doubt anyone here is saying you need to put all the cops under the guillotine, but close regulation is needed imo.

As for your last question to show you loads of jobs that involve a human life on daily basis? Nurse, doctor, surgeon, public transportation (had a suicidal train driver here a couple of months ago, that aint 1 life, thats hundreds at any give time you hold in your hands), ...

Quote Originally Posted by Azantrox View Post
    You are contradicting yourself in every post though. You say "the stress is not comparable to other jobs", which on it's own is a comparison towards others jobs. Then you state that we can't talk or give our opinions on the job as we don't know the job, yet you don't know other jobs either, nor the police officer job, as you stated you just are grateful. So I'm concluding you are not an actual police officer.

Regarding your "the weight of a mistake". Nurses, doctors, various other medical personal, which is one of the biggest % of employment in the world, have daily life deciding actions they need to take.

As to your question for ME: You don't think it's normal for people who carry a firearm around and are allowed to use it in various circumstances, to be closely monitored? Yes, like I stated media blows it up, just like it does with 99% of other things, but sadly the baseline of the story is true.
    As it is now, rotten apples are not filtered out quickly enough imo. They are protected a lot of times by the force as it would be bad PR to acknowledge their mistakes, specially in a shoot out. I doubt anyone here is saying you need to put all the cops under the guillotine, but close regulation is needed imo.

As for your last question to show you loads of jobs that involve a human life on daily basis? Nurse, doctor, surgeon, public transportation (had a suicidal train driver here a couple of months ago, that aint 1 life, thats hundreds at any give time you hold in your hands), ...
    I'm not contradicting anything, because my statement is blatantly obvious, while the the one you're claiming to make is not as easy as you make it out to be. Mine isn't nearly as complex to suggest, while yours on the other hand, suggesting that there are more grass eaters than we'd like, is very apparently wrong. IF there was such an epidemic of grass eating officers, we would have something akin to Gotham City on our hands in every corner of the country you look. That's what you're suggesting. You're also claiming that covering up for bad PR implies the person being covered up is a rotten apple, however there are many who simply made a mistake and they still don't want bad PR because they won't listen to that "excuse".

As for your medical world claims, it once again, is not the same. It's actually somewhat hypocritical now that I think about it, because the life decisions you're expected to cover are not given the same weight. For example: A person in the ICU suddenly doesn't make it. Now, the doctors said they did everything they could, however the family might be mad or sad, it's in some part expected that person has a high chance of not surviving. Do you hear about those countless people on the news every day, the ones who didn't make it from surgery or ICU or the ER? Of course not, but hey guess what, the doctor failed to save them, regardless of doing all that they could, or perhaps making the wrong decision, they make mistakes too, they still failed to save them. That's a human life, right? That's their job, is it not? To save others? Now flip that, you give an officer in the same situation, and they failed to save a person or made the wrong decision, it becomes front page news on your local newspaper. The severity is STILL not the same, because while the family members of the person in the ICU may be mad, that's all you'll ever get out of it, however now the entire city and area knows if one officer screwed up. Tell me again how they're in the least comparable.

In fact, it pisses me off that in essence, they should hold the same weight, a human life is a human life, and if it's expected that mistakes and human limits and things of that nature happen in the medical world, why is it not given the same treatment for officers? You're, in both situations, handing over your life to that person in that job in that situation. They're both there to protect you, yet one gets off because who the fuck knows why, while the other is being accused of becoming militarized against it's own citizens they swore to protect. I hate the hypocrisy in this world sometimes.
    Last edited by Realsykes; 2014-07-15 at 04:44 AM.

Doesn't excuse the behaviour that often goes on. Not in the slightest.

You know there are so many people that just blanket every cop with the stigma of being "corrupt" because that's the popular thing to do. But in the real world, these are the people who are trying to protect us, even though they continually see the very worst of humanity day in and day out.

Corrupt or not, they have my sympathy and I salute .

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    So empirical evidence isn't going to change your mind? Regardless of what you want you to believe gun culture is big in the US and laws like gun trafficking are nearly unenforced.
    The information he gave was very misleading. A minority of Americans own guns.

Deleted
    So one civilian killed a cop, this surely must mean most civilians want to kill cops?

Also: premeditated murder on a police officer in function should be in prison for life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Senseless killing of a police officer.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...bush.wcbs.html
    Sounds like a sovereign citizen to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

It doesn't help that the idiots that live around their put up a shrine for the guy that killed the cop. http://news.yahoo.com/memorial-man-k...154733891.html All this does is spin into more violence, hate and bigotry.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPussy View Post
    Well yeah since this one guy actively sought to kill a police officer that gives them free reign to do whatever they want to anyone they want because, "Well they could be dangerous".
    This. People who still blindly defend police make me sick. Are there good cops out there? Absolutely. Are the majority of them looking out for society's best interest? Absolutely not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, I'm all for police using limited pre-emptive tactics to avoid things like this. However, the militarization of the police is a real thing and is increasing. So is the brutality and unlawful treatment of those apprehended by the police. Cops are viewed as heroes because they signed up do deal with things like this, with death and injury a very real possibility that is one dispatch call away. Doesn't mean they now get to break the rules and treat the citizens they should be protecting like shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    You act like Americans are born with guns, or Americans get guns for free upon their 18th birthday, or that every American dreams of the day they can own a gun. Most of the time people don't care that much. But good try.
    unfortunately mate, thats the way your country comes across to the rest of the world with your gun culture.

Quote Originally Posted by HulkBrogan View Post
    This. People who still blindly defend police make me sick. Are there good cops out there? Absolutely. Are the majority of them looking out for society's best interest? Absolutely not.
    I doubt bad cops out number the good cops. In fact I doubt bad cops make up 10% of all the police forces in the US. Would need some statistical evidence to prove otherwise.
    The problem is, all we hear about in the news is the bad things a few cops have done of which is a small minority of cops overall.
    Last edited by Gsara; 2014-07-15 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HulkBrogan View Post
    I don't agree. I would say the majority of them are trying to do their jobs well. You're using crappy logic, so I will use an anecdote: I have never once had a bad experience with police. from 16-23 I was a lead foot driver and got pulled over a lot. They were never rude or mean to me. Always nice and polite and concerned about the possible danger which speeding causes. I've been friends with police officers, and had to call them 3 times for domestic disputes involving a crazy ex girlfriend I had. None of these experiences were bad from my point of view.

I'm not blindly defending police, for SOME of them have clearly taken things overboard. But pretending like most of them don;t give a shit? I mean cmon...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    unfortunately mate, thats the way your country comes across to the rest of the world with your gun culture.
    I'm glad you are upfront with your prejudice and bias upfront.

But yeah, where were you born? Let me just tell you some of the prejudicial jokes America has about your country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    I doubt bad cops out number the good cops. In fact I doubt bad cops make up 10% of all the police forces in the US. Would need some statistical evidence to prove otherwise.
    The problem is, all we hear about in the news is the bad things cops have done of which is a small minority of cops overall.
    Oh shit, it looks like we found out about the real villains here! the media! Maybe that explains this whole thread in a nutshell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I'm glad you are upfront with your prejudice and bias upfront.

But yeah, where were you born? Let me just tell you some of the prejudicial jokes America has about your country.
    its not prejudiced mate. like it or not, thats how your country comes across.
    ive been on this planet for many years & its always been the same.

but were not talking about where i was born, the subject is about YOUR police force.
    my country's police force are far from being perfect & i dont have time for them either.
    Last edited by mmoc4e24d898ce; 2014-07-15 at 07:50 PM.

Cops act the way they do because any uniform and institutionalized power attracts a certain type of person. You'll always have some of those among the police.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    See this is what the rest of the world does not understand about America. Almost every American starting in elementary school studies History. From World History, to Ancient History and of course American history we dabble in all of it. It is very important and most are very passionate. The majority is very patriotic, just drive around on election times or on July 4th. It is in our roots to understand why we are here and what was our nation founded on. Most outsiders will never probably relate but our nation was established with the best common laws ever created by any society in World History. The Declaration of Independence could very well be one of the greatest creations and or callings to basic workings of a society. Firearms are super important to Americans. Like I said, we are pretty well versed in history, so we know what mistakes to look out for.

The man stole the security guards gun, told him to call the cops and ambushed a cop, murdering him.

First the cop was responding to an Armed Robbery. Much different then getting pulled over by a revenue generating "officer" and writing tickets for 10+ mph over speed limit or "defective equipment". This kid was walking the beat earning his stripes. Rest in Peace son.

By no means was this kid corrupt, looking to hurt or frame innocents, but an extreme isolated case of horrible luck at the hands of a psychopath committing murderer.

I'm no fan of cops, at all. I find their existence in general to be a gross misuse of tax payer funds. But this is horrible, dying young & innocent is always tragic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerbleeder View Post
    Firearms are super important to Americans.
    As it stands right now, your armed forces or even a fraction of it could easily subdue any uprising that demanded a change in the government. Do you think a bunch of hillbillies with their trucks and rifles stand any kind of chance against a trained military force? Don't make me laugh.

You'd be crushed like a bug except the boot wouldn't even notice you were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerbleeder View Post
    Like I said, we are pretty well versed in history, so we know what mistakes to look out for.
    You can insert Penn Jillette laughter here, because it's about as close to what I want to express as you can get.

You constantly repeat mistakes that either you have made or other countries have made before you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    I really hate how europeans and anti-gun american liberals immediately turn to the gun card. We have the right to bear arms. More civillians are killed by cops every year than cops killed by civilians. Guns require responsibility no matter who wields them. I just don't agree that the government should be the only ones armed with them.
    Don't generalize Europeans. Not every one of us is like that.
    I'm not happy that communists disarmed us after they took the power and other communists are trying to disarm your country.