View Poll Results: How do you feel about Thor being a woman?

Voters
404. This poll is closed
  • It's about time, bring it on!

32 7.92%
  • I think it's pandering to the PC crowd and hijacking an established character.

183 45.30%
  • They should of made an addition to universe regarding Thor instead of changing the gender.

56 13.86%
  • I'm mixed, i'll reserve judgement until i see more.

30 7.43%
  • Who cares, comic books are for nerds.

29 7.18%
  • /Popcorn

74 18.32%
Page 1 of 36
... LastLast
    Deleted

Thor is now a women!

Marvel is excited to announce an all-new era for the God of Thunder in brand new series, THOR, written by Jason Aaron (Thor: God of Thunder, Original Sin) complimented with art from Russell Dauterman (Cyclops).

This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of Marvel’s "big three" – Captain American, Iron Man and Thor – Marvel Comics will be introducing an all-new THOR, GOD OF THUNDER. No longer is the classic male hero able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, a brand new female hero will emerge will who will be worthy of the name THOR. Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?

"The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it’s time to update that inscription," says Marvel editor Wil Moss. "The new Thor continues Marvel’s proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute – she’s now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

Series writer Jason Aaron emphasizes, "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before."

THOR is the latest in the ever-growing and long list of female-centric titles that continues to invite new readers into the Marvel Universe. This female THOR is the 8th title to feature a lead female protagonist and aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for Super Hero comic books in America: women and girls.
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/59...is-now-a-woman

This is extremely interesting to me, as i love the marvel universe and i feel that this can inject an even more female orientated interest in it; That said, a LOT of people are already replying, some in anger and others in admiration.

As like it or not, comic books are traditionally seen as a male centered audience; But chief amongst the complaints that stuck is "Thor has always been a man" and "It doesn't fit into norse mythology".

What are your opinions on this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they change him to a woman?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a solid move that they didn't do this as an additional girly Thor in addition to the "real" Thor.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinali View Post
    diversity and edginess in the hopes of selling more comics
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Simply?

Who knows!

It could be to incite female attention to the marvel universe, it could be an intended character development, it could be an attempt to see how this pans out or it could be pandering to demands for an established and popular female character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably to do with all the PC shit about representing sexes and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feels weird. Thor's been around for a long time. This sudden change to a female is a bit jarring for long-time fans. Chances are most will disregard it and stick to the male Thor that's been around forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    I feel like I live in another world now, what pc shit about representing sexes?

Deleted
    Made me think of this.

That will make the scenes with Portman much more interesting.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Well this seems completely pointless. Gotta pander to the PC crowd I guess.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    This was my first thought and probably the most true.

I actually hope this tanks so we can turn to the PC crowd and go "look, we told you so."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Deleted
    I feel like I live in another world now, what pc shit about representing sexes?
    You're not really aware of this sphere of feminism are you?

Google simple terms of "Girls and comic books" or some variation thereof, it's been a thorn in many a feminist about the lack of female representation to the degree that men are in comics.

There's countless YT videos and blogs and articles about it additionally.

1: It doesn't fit into norse mythology at all, meeeh. but whatever a lot of it already doesn't.
    2: Chris Hemsworth?

FU Marvel. I guess a Thorita with fake boobs and tights get more numbers.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a woman and I think this is dumb. Its right up there with killing off Archie (which they are doing btw).

Keep him as he is and give Lady Sif more of a presence. Voila, Marvel, you have your new badass female superhero and Thor stays the same.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

didn't "change" him, the asgardian thor no longer worthy of the hammer (again) and a human women picks up the hammer as she is worthy of it, its actually a reused plot device in the comics as the mantle of thor has changed more then a few times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    1: It doesn't fit into norse mythology at all, meeeh. but whatever a lot of it already doesn't.
    Please don't insult Norse mythology like that by implying there's a possiblity of comparing it to Marvel's shitty-ass Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    2: Chris Hemsworth?
    I really hope they stick to him in the movies.

If they want to introduce a female Thor like person, create a new goddess instead of giving an established character a sexchange.

-edit- Although.. I don't read the comics. So as long as the movies stick with Chris, I'm fine.

Marvel is trash. This is simply another confirmation of this truth.

on the bright side:
    Trans*thor, the brand new hero rehash from Marvel™.
    Last edited by Jingoism; 2014-07-15 at 07:14 PM.

Why not. Marvel does need to shake things up every once in a while. They've been doing all those series for decades now, and there's only so much you can do before it becomes really stale and potentially ridiculous. It's not the first time they completely put stuff upside down, heavily retconned a character and whatnot. Keeps things fresh and they tend to go back to the "original" state at some point anyway. Just look how often they retconned, killed off and resurrected Peter Parker, and brought him back to normal subsequently.

Making Thor a woman is a neat idea. He's one of the characters that are perhaps really a bit too much on the epitomic testosterone side. The cheesy portayal in the movies - which is where most people nowadays know the character from - didn't exacty help that either. That whole character seems to have only been tailored to the function of massively campy man crush material. Embarassing.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2014-07-15 at 07:09 PM.