Poll: So, which one was better?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love gen 7 the most but gen 1 is the best because that is where it all started, either that or the first 3d generation consoles.

10+ Year Old Account
    id vote fifth or sixth..
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, ima let you finish, but the PS2 was the greatest console of all time!

Fifth Generation is clearly the best....So many classic Playstation games that started it all. N64 was decent. Original Playstation games was like the birth of everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    6th>5th>7th>4th
    I wasn't alive for the others, and barely remember the 4th. 5th is the one I started really playing a lot and by the 6th I was completely hooked. Best time of my gaming life was all the awesome rpgs on the ps2 like rogue galaxy and kingdom hearts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    Sorry, ima let you finish, but the PS2 was the greatest console of all time!
    Agreed, followed by the Snes and then PS1

The 5th, followed closely by the 6th. The PS1 and N64 had so many good games on them. The PS2 had a lot too, and of course the Xbox had a fair share. But the sheer number of good PS1 and N64 games will probably never be rivaled again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    You will get a lot of replies saying the one with the SNES and Genesis were the best, because that seems to be what most people on here had when they were kids growing up in the 90s, and it was their first. Which are valid reasons, of course. I grew up in the 80s (born in 81) and 90s. My first was Atari 2600 on a black and white TV. Then we upgraded to the NES, on a black and white TV (the color TV was for watching TV, the black and white one was for nintendo) which made playing Doctor Mario rather interesting (guessed on most of the colors, and was strange to see they were red, yellow and blue when we got a new TV and the color one was allowed for nintendo). We were too poor to get a SNES or Genesis.

My personal favorite was the PS1/N64 (5th gen) era. Games were still about gameplay for the most part, and graphics were just starting to get more focus. And the graphics evolution of system was amazing. Seeing the difference between early PS1 games compared to later PS1 games, it was like they were made for a different system. PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era had some decent games, but graphics started to trump gameplay/story. They were still fun, but I just couldn't get invested into too many of the games like I could previous generations.

Early PS1 game (Battle Arena Toshinden, 1994):

Late PS1 game (Final Fantasy 9, 2000):
    FFIX best game ever! Its nostalgia talking, but I want that game remade so bad, or a sequel.

Hard to beat the PS2 and the original Xbox with halo and such, especially when the gamecube was an extremely solid system boasting multiple extremely good games as well. The N64 was grand, but the playstation wasn't as good as the PS2 and the dreamcast didn't take off for whatever reason. Then the 360 was ok, the PS3 was meh and the Wii was the Wii. Since Nintendo busting out an excellent console with amazing games is pretty much a guarantee for every gen, it comes down to the alternative consoles released at that time.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Torn between Fifth and Sixth but voted Sixth because of the volume of great games I got through, although Fifth is a very close second with Fourth being third. I started on Three.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    FFIX best game ever! Its nostalgia talking, but I want that game remade so bad, or a sequel.
    Final Fantasy 9 was pretty amazing, but it was still easily my least favorite of the 3 on the first Playstation.

IMO the 3rd, 4th and 5th were all good in different ways. The third had true golden era classics, the fourth pretty much perfected 2d gaming, and the fifth was the dawn of 3d gaming and had many seminal games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Correct answer is fourth or fifth.

Zero votes so far for the third generation? Original NES? Mario Bros? DUCK HUNT?!?!

...guess I shouldn't complain, I didn't vote for it either >.<

Too bad we can't change our votes after the fact.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    4th for sure. I still go back and play some of those RPGs on the SNES from time to time to this very day. The SNES is an ageless system with non-annoying 2D graphics that don't make you vomit when you play them. Arguably the best era for quality RPG titles if that was your thing.

5th generation holds a place in my heart because it was a major transition to 3D with quality titles as well.

Still, 4th generation had so many great games (Sega Genesis, SNES and GameBoy) and the titles age very well. I find fifth generation games almost as good as the 4th but they all look INCREDIBLY dated.

I was born in the mid 80s so I had a lot of time with the 3rd generation as well. Can't speak for times before the third because I either wasn't old enough to play those systems or I wasn't born. I will say that the duck hunt gun that came with the NES was an amazing item for playing games around the house that weren't necessarily part of it's function. Basically it was a great thing to run around and pretend you were shooting people with, lol.

Either 4th or 5th.

SNES was amazing. Link to the Past, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Kriby's Dreamland 3, Donkey Kong Country are some of the most memorable games in existence.

N64 and Playstation produced some amazing games as well. N64 definitely provided they best mulitplayer console experience I've ever had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    So many games disagree with you.
    Ok I get that, there are tons of classics...but if they were released today just as they were, where would they be? Super Mario was beaten in less than 5 minutes. Awesome at the time, barely close to iPhone games now due to the limitations. I've been playing a heavily modded Skyrim lately. Can you imagine how people would react if that game came out in the 80's with all the customization it has?

The poll is "which generation was better?"

As for innovative, creative, groundbreaking games and advances in technology, yeah, previous generations obviously paved the way...for the future to be better...which is now...
    We just take it for granted.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

The 6th and 5th were the best IMAO, neither was better than the other but both were the best of the generations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Final Fantasy 9 was pretty amazing, but it was still easily my least favorite of the 3 on the first Playstation.
    I never tried 8, and didn't like the first 60 minutes of 7 so I game up on that. I didnt try 7 until years later when gen 7 was out, where as I tried 9 in generation 5, and it was one of my first rpgs. I fell in love, so its probably nostalgia. I actually liked 12 unlike most people as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The 6th and 5th were the best IMAO, neither was better than the other but both were the best of the generations.
    I think I agree. I loved them both a lot, as they were the generations I started getting big into gaming.

6th because that was my teen years, so the nostalgia leans towards that generation. This is going off by what was amazing during the time.

Side by side, the later gen wins IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    for me its the fifth generation so much fun playing perfect dark vigilante 8 and mario kart. 6th generation was good as well but wasn't quite as strong as the fifth generations title were. we never owned a snes so i never got a chance to play them when they were current. playing them now is hard for me since its hard to get used to infrequent saving that and the money in acquiring snes titles is too expensive. whenever i look online every major snes title is priced at least 60$ or more.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2014-07-17 at 05:40 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.