Page 1 of 70
... LastLast

The diversity of comic heroes continues - the new Captain America will be black.

Source(s):

http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...a-black-falcon

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hor-woman.html

I'm really not sure what to make of this, especially when combined with the recent decision that has led Thor to be replaced by a female. I've always been a fan of diversity but I strongly oppose it when it is seemingly added for no reason other than to cause controversy or completely replace something else. I won't pretend to be a huge fan of comics but I've always been fond of Captain America - largely due to how he has been designed.

Yet I can't help but feel as though this is becoming an alarming trend in that established characters are simply being tossed to one side and replaced for the sake of diversity. Surely it'd be better to simply create a new, interesting black character instead of introducing one at the cost of an established and prominent hero? Or if there's other black superheroes that exist already then why not put a greater emphasis upon them?

At any rate, I figured it was worth making a thread for the sake of an interesting debate! Please try to keep it civil and mature!

I agree with you on principal but I think that in these particular cases it's not so much as change for changes sake but because they are taking an oppurtunity to actually evolve the characters beyond where they have been for a little too long. Case in point Captain America isn't being tossed to the side and replaced by an all new random black hero. He is being replaced by a long standing well established member of the avengers that's been around forever and was even featured alongside him in the recent film. As for Thor they are building him towards becoming the god king version of him that he eventually will become and the Power of Thor has been in the hands of so many people by now that it's about time for a worthy female to pop up.

This whole things screams Tokenism. I'm not against a more diverse set of heroes, but ... This just seems like it's being done to appease the loud Politically Correct crowd.

Didn't Steve Rogers die long before that anyway?

You call that diversity? Get back to me when Batman is a nu-trans fourth trimester transsensual Angst Profile ZETA-8 genderqueer pseudo-dyke reformed lesbiophilic heteromollusc.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Didn't Steve Rogers die long before that anyway?
    it's Marvel comics man no one stays dead unless they are named Uncle Ben. but yeah he died Bucky took over then he came back but he is losing his powers and Falcon is taking over the mantle. Another point I want to make is that neither heroic identity is one of the ones set in stone both have been worn by various people over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    This whole things screams Tokenism. I'm not against a more diverse set of heroes, but ... This just seems like it's being done to appease the loud Politically Correct crowd.
    ...stop. Just stop with crying 'political correct' constantly. Its tiresome how overused and misused that term is.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    ...stop. Just stop with crying 'political correct' constantly. Its tiresome how overused and misused that term is.
    You mean like 'bigot' and various other buzzwords?

I can't help but wonder how different the reception would be if an iconic black character was written off and replaced with a white character - I don't suppose there are any actual cases of that happening? I'd find it interesting to read up on, if so!

10+ Year Old Account
    Up next: Wolverine becomes a furry.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Up next: Wolverine becomes a furry.
    In a universe where one of your closest friends spent a few years as a furry blue cat man I don't actually think that's a stretch at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    You call that diversity? Get back to me when Batman is a nu-trans fourth trimester transsensual Angst Profile ZETA-8 genderqueer pseudo-dyke reformed lesbiophilic heteromollusc.
    Haha - What a post!

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    It's no where near as tiring as people screaming that they're repressed because there isn't a role model for them in comic books ..., or whatever medium they're discussing.

I must admit I'm far from an expert on Captain America, but from what I do know this seems a reasonable choice for the person who would fill the shoes of the Captain if Steve Rodgers couldn't.

It's something of a classic storyline - like Dick Grayson taking up the mantle of Batman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    I must admit I'm far from an expert on Captain America, but from what I do know this seems a reasonable choice for the person who would fill the shoes of the Captain if Steve Rodgers couldn't.

It's something of a classic storyline - like Dick Grayson taking up the mantle of Batman.
    Who's going to fill the Falcon's shoes? What will happen to such an unforgettable character?
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Wasn't first Nick Fury white, and then, the next one was Black?
    Black-Latino Spiderman as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Who's going to fill the Falcon's shoes? What will happen to such an unforgettable character?
    Much the same thing as happened to Robin/Nightwing. Nobody will care. EDIT: the reason nobody will care is because the guy taking up the "big" character's superhero identity doesn't become a new person. This will be Sam Wilson wearing different clothes. Much the same as Dick Grayson didn't become Bruce Wayne when he was being Batman. He just wore the Batman outfit. We don't lose Sam Wilson or Dick Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    Wasn't first Nick Fury white, and then, the next one was Black??
    Yup. He looked like this:

Last edited by klogaroth; 2014-07-17 at 11:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I really don't see the issue with this. It would be no different if they changed someone like Luke Cage to be a white guy, i.e. not a remotely big deal.
    The things people get angry over...
    Oh, I think you'd see just a little bit of outrage from the PC crowd if they made traditionally minority characters white. I agree that it's not a big deal, but you'll have the SJWs up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Haha - What a post!

It's no where near as tiring as people screaming that they're repressed because there isn't a role model for them in comic books ..., or whatever medium they're discussing.
    while I agree that the type of people Alenerian is lampooning are ridiculous to expect the universe to cater to something so extremly specific as the massive number of labels they apply to themselves. but disregarding people who feel excluded from the mainstream comic scene because there is no one in any position of prominence they can relate to isn't sticking it to people that are being ridiculous. It's saying that folks who don't fit into the already established paradigm aren't worth being brought into the club.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    What's this? A character in a comic is changing?! OMG THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!!

I really don't see the issue with this. It would be no different if they changed someone like Luke Cage to be a white guy, i.e. not a remotely big deal.
    The things people get angry over...
    I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not angry. It's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over and I'm not heavily invested in comics to begin with. I just feel as though they're going about it the wrong way by replacing an existing character in the quest to be diverse instead of either creating a new character entirely or expanding upon an existing black character to give the greater relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    it's Marvel comics man no one stays dead unless they are named Uncle Ben. but yeah he died Bucky took over then he came back but he is losing his powers and Falcon is taking over the mantle. Another point I want to make is that neither heroic identity is one of the ones set in stone both have been worn by various people over the years.
    Not fair. The Owl still worm food.