Investigative Consumer Reports

So long story short, I have an interview next week and they want me to give them permission to run a 'Investigative Consumer Report' on me.

I was wondering if anyone had an personal experience of one of these? Is this pretty standard stuff? I assume it includes a criminal record check, driving history and maybe a credit check.

I am deciding whether or not to tell them to shove it out of principal. In addition to this they also want me grant them permission to use my current employer for references, which I definitely won't be signing. California resident if that makes a difference.

Depends what the job is for to be honest. Working on minimum wage, hell no, but a company with chance to move up and earn a nice income, sure, go for it.

Personally, I've never heard if a Consumer Report. Some companies run checks on their potential employees.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not terribly familiar, but you should know your rights with this as well:

http://www.business.ftc.gov/document...yers-need-know

I'd personally tell them to fuck off out of principal But it's the employers who control the bread on your table.

So fuck this world.

The two companies that I have worked for in the last ten years both ran consumer reports on me. The first they stated they were mainly concerned about the credit check because the position involved dealing with large insurance payouts, and they wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be a liability for potential theft. The second required it, and forwarded it to their vehicle and general liability insurance carriers to make sure that I could be covered under those, as I would have access to multiple company vehicles.

You can dump them if you like and look for a different employer but a consumer report is fairly common, from what I've found, especially if you are dealing with any large levels of assets for the company you work for or is a prospective employer.

Translation: your privacy be damned if you want to use their money and resources as a way to put food on your table and a roof over your head.

Welcome to the world we now live in.

depends on what an "Investigative Consumer Report" is, and what it's for. Without that info, it's difficult to respond.

If you are interviewing for a really good job, and one that you really want, would do well at, good for you, good for you family, etc... Then go for it.

Or do you have anything you don't want them to find out? Though most times, if there are flaws in a background check, it's best to be up front about things ahead of time. IE, arrested at 17 or 18 for theft, or possession, or something petty, tell them ahead of time, what you've done to change and make good on your past. How you are a good employee now with responsibilities that prove you'd be a good employee now, and then later for them. Better to be up front about it, because if they find out about something in an in-depth background check, you're screwed.

But if you are interviewing for something that is not a job, then I really have no idea what OP is doing and what an "investigative consumer report" is.

edit: I remember back a few years ago, my brother went to work for a company with a big government contract. They did a pretty hefty background check on him, had the FBI come around and interview mons and pops about him, just as part of the routine check they do. Probably trying to find out if he had any inkling of anti-government leanings or possible terrorist in disguise, etc... Just part of the stuff they gotta do to dot the i's and cross the t's, because if they didn't do this and someone blew up a building or stole secrets and sold them to the Chinese or something like that, it would be bad.

edit #2, just found this: there's a couple of interesting points, http://www.gobankingrates.com/credit...redit-reports/

esp the one about being able to get a copy of it if it's the reason someone turns you down for a job.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2014-07-17 at 09:48 PM.