Some men just want to see the world burn

I recently transferred to a new server and was scoping out the ah. I wanted to off load a bunch of sky golems, spirits of war etc because you can only bring 50k over. I got to talking with a guildie and he warned me; there are people on server who will take huge losses on auctions just because you post a few at undercut. The shufflers on this forum might think that is great in that you can just buy them out and re post. 2 guys buried me under like 15 golems and hundreds of spirits of war. The gold meant nothing to them

So wait them out? You're not going to die if you don't sell your mounts tomorrow they will have plenty of value for a long time and probably more value as time goes on and people aren't doing MoP stuff anymore. The spirits of war have a shelf life I guess but they aren't even that valuable anymore anyway.

Not sure why you are posting this or why it matters. Cancel auction, repost, done. Free trade will be free.

I've often seen people cancelling a hundred auctions and relisting them cheaper just because someone put one single item at a lesser price than theirs... something that you really have no choice of doing if you actually want to sell your single item.

It boggles the mind, that people actually create the situations that force them to lose tons of profit.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2014-07-17 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastlane_hellscream View Post
    Not sure why you are posting this or why it matters. Cancel auction, repost, done. Free trade will be free.
    Tanking tens of thousands if gold to say you control that market doesn't fascinate you? Why are you in this sub? They didn't undercut me they listed and almost a third on the spirits and half on the golems. I don't even think they had any return on golems based on material cost.

sorry for being nit picky, but if you're going to quote a line from one of the best movies ever made, Christopher Nonlan's The Dark Knight, be sure to get the line correct.

It's "Some men just want to watch the world burn." Not "...see the world burn."

Why not just wait until Warlords? What's the point of selling anything Pandaria related at this point that isn't a consumable, or a requirement for other professions?

Just stock up on mounts, and other materials and wait it out. You'll get far more off of it, if you play the waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post
    sorry for being nit picky, but if you're going to quote a line from one of the best movies ever made, Christopher Nonlan's The Dark Knight, be sure to get the line correct.

Actually I was quoting myself not the batman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Txiv View Post
    Actually I was quoting myself not the batman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by twh View Post

considering that quote and variations of it have been around a long time before that movie I don't see how you can say he's quoting it from the movie

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    considering that quote and variations of it have been around a long time before that movie I don't see how you can say he's quoting it from the movie

I think a good majority of people, including me, on this planet never heard that quote until they saw The Dark Knight. But sure. Whatever.

Undercutting your competition is the best way to make profit. If you farm the mats, the only investment is time. So you can calculate your hourly income based on this.

So yea.... economics and business.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankendog View Post
    Undercutting your competition is the best way to make profit. If you farm the mats, the only investment is time. So you can calculate your hourly income based on this.

So yea.... economics and business.

Like I said they didn't undercut. They imploded the market to prove dominance.

And I was joking about the quote. In truth Nolan got the quote from me and changed it so I couldn't sue him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The material cost is only if you buy materials. Quite a few people farm mats themselves....
    Wrong. Mats have an opportunity cost even if you farm them yourself, which is equal to the current market price. For example, if you farm ore which sells for 1,000g and use it to create an item which sells for 700g, you just lost 300g that you could have made if you'd simply sold the ore.

However, if selling the item for 700g when it normally goes for 2,500g dissuades your competition from listing and forces them to move to other markets, then it's less of a loss and more of an investment. It means you can list your next item at the usual price and sell it as you normally do instead of entering an undercutting war.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    These days THAT means "watching the world burn"? The sheltered life we lead ^^
    First world problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    Wrong. Mats have an opportunity cost even if you farm them yourself, which is equal to the current market price. For example, if you farm ore which sells for 1,000g and use it to create an item which sells for 700g, you just lost 300g that you could have made if you'd simply sold the ore.

However, if selling the item for 700g when it normally goes for 2,500g dissuades your competition from listing and forces them to move to other markets, then it's less of a loss and more of an investment. It means you can list your next item at the usual price and sell it as you normally do instead of entering an undercutting war.
    So you're going to only sell 1 at the lower price and the rest at market value? Seems like that would only really work on higher end items (of which the OP did mention), lower value items, I could see folks just relisting more quantities at lower prices.

As for the OP and Fincher's post, this is why diversifying your "portfolio" is important. So that losses with one item (or sets of items) doesn't impact other sales. Unless you're willing to spend the time to slowly sell off your stock of the same item.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised you didn't want to do a guild transfer. I heard that you can transfer more gold (and items) if you did that instead (at a higher fee though). Higher fee, guild has to be lv2, you have to be GM, but no Gold cap limit as long as gold is in guild bank.
    Last edited by Alroxas; 2014-07-18 at 03:15 PM.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    These days THAT means "watching the world burn"? The sheltered life we lead ^^
    It's the end of the world...!! (...of Warcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I've often seen people cancelling a hundred auctions and relisting them cheaper just because someone put one single item at a lesser price than theirs... something that you really have no choice of doing if you actually want to sell your single item.

It boggles the mind, that people actually create the situations that force them to lose tons of profit.
    All they need to do it make one click for this.