Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not guilty by reason of insanity is an incredibly hard defense to pull off.
    But but but, TV!

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    But but but, TV!
    And its thanks to constant TV plots involving people abusing it that its gotten harder to use than it probably should be. Juries end up assuming the defendant is faking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    And its thanks to constant TV plots involving people abusing it that its gotten harder to use than it probably should be. Juries end up assuming the defendant is faking.
    Why do they still keep using juries anyway? Letting people with no experience have influence over the case seems silly.

Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    Why do they still keep using juries anyway? Letting people with no experience have influence over the case seems silly.
    You've got a better system?

10+ Year Old Account
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Not using a Jury? I'm pretty sure we don't have those around here.

I don't know if this is so much a failing of our mental health system or the fact that we cannot force people to stay in institutions to get help or keep taking their meds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    I don't know if this is so much a failing of our mental health system or the fact that we cannot force people to stay in institutions to get help or keep taking their meds.
    You don't have an equivalent public protection clause to section the mentally ill?

Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    Not using a Jury? I'm pretty sure we don't have those around here.
    We only have them in special cases (usually press-freedom cases).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014...sons-and-jails

I know we already have a bad system going on, but I didn't know we had this many people with severe mental issues behind bars. Then when we add in the fact we often times stick people in solitary confinement, more often than just about any other country, it's obvious we're not helping them in the long run.
    De-institutionalization, under the guise of "let the states have more power!" shtick. States underfunded and closed the vast majority of their facilities because no one gave a damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Most institutions before the 80's weren't very pleasant places so to act like we somehow treated mental issues better before or it's Reagan's fault is really clueless.

Yes as someone else said more people were put in institutions back then but they were pretty much prisons back then anyway so they could handle the ones today's institutions can't.