Thread: Monitors...

Monitors...

So what exactly should I be looking for when choosing a monitor? I'm looking for something that's $250 or less in the US. Primary use will be first person shooters on console. Any advice in appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Warcav View Post
    So what exactly should I be looking for when choosing a monitor? I'm looking for something that's $250 or less in the US. Primary use will be first person shooters on console. Any advice in appreciated.
    #1 IPS matrix
    #2 at least 1080p resolution
    #3 brightness
    #4 response time (though some manufacturers 'cheat' the numbers)
    #5 size (though others might give size bigger importance)
    #6 manufacturer

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-monitor-24ea53vp
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/aoc-monitor-i2769vm
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Copy paste self, wheeee
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I suppose I should go all monitory again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    1) No you do not need to buy a new monitor, your current one will be just fine. Monitor tech hasn't changed much.
    2) If you really want to dual screen, sure, just take price and the space it takes up into account.
    3) Importance of upgrading your monitor: nil. Purely a personal choice if you want to dual screen.
    Monitor tech has changed. Examples, IPS glow reduce or even inexistant like shown in Eizo EV2736W
    Better or at least around 1000:1 contrast ratio is more prevalent now for IPS and TN panels.
    From LED backlit, CCFL and now a newer GB-r LED exists.
    Changes from things like VA, MVA, AMVA and certain aspects like the viewing angle improving over time, 120Hz MVA panels from Sharp utilized by Eizo exists. Increased contrast from the usual 3000:1 to 5000:1 within the past year.
    Less PWM usage in LED monitors.
    Motion blur reductions like Eizo's 240Hz or BenQ's Motion Blur Reduction (it's name is that) tech.
    New panel AHVA IPS from AUO.

Things to look out for in monitors aside from resolution and size.

1. Panel type. Whether it's a IPS, VA or TN type. OLED if you want to include but no feasible commercially available one exists.
    IPS and VA are generally the better all around performer. TNs have more minimal G2G pixel response which helps with motion blur but it's not something that affects many people and are generally for fast paced twitchy gaming, like counter strike.
    2. Color accuracy. Best one to worse IPS > VA > TN. IPS and VA are pretty good but since VA has an issue with off center contrast shift, that makes it just a tiny bit behind but not really too bad. TN panels aren't really great in this term majority of the time.
    This includes the dE for the colors, white point, and gamma.
    3. Color gamut / coverage. This widely varies from panel to panel. So you're not going to be able to get a blanket statement. W-LED (White) backlit only supports around the sRGB color coverage.
    4. Color channel. This isn't so huge but depending on the case, a higher color channel can be beneficial. Whether it's 6bit+FRC, 8bit, 8bit+FRC or 10bit depends on the user and profession. For general consumers 6bit+FRC or 8bit is good enough.
    5. Ports, accessories, ergonomics and software. Things like USB ports, ambient light sensor, tilt, swivel, rotate, VESA compliant, etc etc may be things you'd look into.
    6. Hardcore gaming, input lag. Most people aside from twitch shooter competitive player generally do good at 16.6ms or less total lag, which includes signal process and pixel response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    That will really get you nowhere Also how do you know what is a good brand if you know nothing about monitors.
    And sort of this.
    While I like Asus components like their MoBo, GPU, and such. Their monitors are pretty meh. They're okay for low end but other than that it's not so good.
    That being said, U2414H or P2414H is a good choice.
    Listed is most important to least imo.

Deleted
    Dell P2414H for sure, total display lag 5.5ms (signal proc+pixel response).

Hiya...both the Dell P2414H and Dell U2414H are great monitors. The U2414H is a bit more expensive but is the better of the two. Apparently, the U2414H has the edge due to better factory calibration (i.e. colour calibration). Otherwise they're both pretty similar and great choices.

Detailed U2414H review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm and P2414H review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm.

Hope that helps!
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

Deleted
    And different connection layout.