Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    They pull stunts like this while wanting to start the process of joining the E.U.?

And people wonder why we see the E.U. as a fucking joke ... I mean, Greece joining was shocking, but Turkey? I'd hope we'd be out by that point but who knows?

15+ Year Old Account
    am i the only one that´s offended by the title, i mean (The country) ... really?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    am i the only one that´s offended by the title, i mean (The country) ... really?
    Hey, I think it's offensive you're not willing to accept that a Turkey is capable of cutting ties to the United States over their currency.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    At least nobody is saying that Turkey (country) is an animal. There's a clear distinction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Hey, I think it's offensive you're not willing to accept that a Turkey is capable of cutting ties to the United States over their currency.
    I would think they'd cut ties with the U.S. over Thanksgiving rather than the dollar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Geographically, a Russia that is allied with Turkey (presuming they also cut ties with NATO) poses a serious fucking threat.
    No, it doesn't.

Well, less of a threat than a country with 700 military bases all over the world, and a history of military interventions that usually do more harm than good.

Deleted
    They pull stunts like this while wanting to start the process of joining the E.U.?

And people wonder why we see the E.U. as a fucking joke ... I mean, Greece joining was shocking, but Turkey? I'd hope we'd be out by that point but who knows?
    Are you for real? Turkey joining would be a blessing, it's currently second fastest growing economy int he world. Comparing Turkey with Greece don't make me laugh.

Anyway Turkey has stopped it's efforts to join the eu. Also the reasons for not allowing the them to join is purely based on religion not anything economical or political, I mean c'mon you let countries like Bulgaria or Greece join.

Deleted
    Geographically, a Russia that is allied with Turkey (presuming they also cut ties with NATO) poses a serious fucking threat. Not like a "lol Vladmir Putin farted, sound the alarms" threat, but a legitimate one, because of the immense geographical advantages that would give them in that region.

Obama better fucking strap on his knee pads and win Turkey's love back.
    I'm not so sure if the situation is as serious as people here pose. Ok, so Turkey is being childish if they suddenly don't even want to do diplomacy with the US. But then what? What do they have to gain by allying up with their historical rival Russia, that is also a sinking ship pure economically? Let's also not forget that Turkey wants to join the EU, and it has definitely closer ties with the EU, both economically and culturally.

To me, this seems like some temporary outrage like the controversy when the NSA spied on Angela Merkel's phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aedras View Post
    Anyway Turkey has stopped it's efforts to join the eu. Also the reasons for not allowing the them to join is purely based on religion not anything economical or political, I mean c'mon you let countries like Bulgaria or Greece join.
    It's all political. Don't people like you get sick and tired of constantly bashing religion for everything bad in this world? Jeez.

You think occupying the northern part of Cyprus is not a political issue at all? Or the fact that there has been a lot of controversies about Turkey's attempts at censorship of Youtube and Twitter?

I mean, all-in-all I agree that Turkey should join but Turkey still have a lot of issues to work out before it can become a productive and representing member of the EU.

Deleted
    It's nice to own the world's reserve currency, it means foreign countries need to give stuff to you, just to be able to trade with other countries. (Since that trade is paid for with the reserve currency.)
    In other words, the dollar's position as reserve currency means the rest of the world basically gives money to the US economy every year.

If the dollar loses that position, the euro (and pound) can fill part of the gap. That would benefit both the EU and Britain.

So why do you complain?

Fucking 'MURICA thinks they own the world. Next 10 years well see a new union in the east mark my words.
    Yeah, that won't happen for several reasons.

1, Russia treats the Commonwealth of Independent Nations mostly as colonies. The wealth and resource disparity between the member states is too big for a currency or proper trade union. Plus it wouldn't necessarily be beneficial for Russia either. Russia being primarily a resource power (and a relatively small economy of about 2 trillion USD) is dependent on the EU cash cow for income. It also has another dependence on that EU that is rarely discussed, namely technological. Russian gas and oil output is not growing, and is dependent on EU to buy the machinery needed to maintain/increase production.

Just let this sink in. Over 50% of all Russian trade is with the EU. 75% of all foreign investment is from the EU. If the EU could secure another cheap and reliable energy exporter, that alone could squeeze the life out of the Russian economy. Keep in mind that the Americans have been angling for years trying to become a bigger energy trading partner with the EU. Which could even be easier and cheaper if the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership becomes a thing. Also the EU already refitted its pipelines to be able to pump oil/gas both ways.

2, Chinese and Russian interests don't really align on many issues. While China and Russia do happen to fall on the same side of many issues, their interests either don't align or are opposed on many others. One of the reasons why there is little trade between China and Russia beyond them not having much to offer to each other, is that there is almost no infrastructure connecting them. Eastern Russia is mostly a barren wasteland barely connected to the prosperous and industrialized European Russia and Ural Region. The situation is similar in Eastern China.

Another issue is the size and nature of the Russian economy. It is too small (2 Trillion USD) and lacks disposable income to buy up Chinese manufacturing output.

Also China already made its bet about its future development and expansion. China has its eyes set on the Pacific area, which is filled with populous and strong Asian economies and the US beyond. Also trading is easier that way, as it is easier to ship goods around.

There will be no big Eastern Union in Asian either, mostly because while China would like more of the Pacific, it is not very much liked outside China, and the Pacific is filled with pro-US nations that have strong commercial and security ties with the US, like Japan, South Korea, Taiwan etc.

On topic. Erdogan is posturing. He knows it, the Russians know it and the US knows and the Europeans know it, well everyone knows it except his rural and conservative base to which him is trying to pander. He is so mired in domestic scandals that he can barely see out of it. Unfortunatly for Turkey the macho bullshit appeals to the rural base, who don't specifically mind the corruption and the dictatorial censorship/arrest police officers and prosecutors for investigating corruption charges power trips and see them as a sign of a "strong leader". Similar to how Italians kept voting for Berlusconi.

In Turkey the military wields quite a bit of influence. Considering their ties to NATO and the US, you can bet that they would have a word or two regarding Erdogan's plans if he actually tries to seriously antagonize the US.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-07-23 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I'm not so sure if the situation is as serious as people here pose. Ok, so Turkey is being childish if they suddenly don't even want to do diplomacy with the US. But then what? What do they have to gain by allying up with their historical rival Russia, that is also a sinking ship pure economically? Let's also not forget that Turkey wants to join the EU, and it has definitely closer ties with the EU, both economically and culturally.
    You jokes right? LELL. Assad's Syria only exists by Russias "good will". Turkey controls access between the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. Russia doesn't back Assad because of any ideological reason. They back Assad because of the geographical advantage of having a friendly port in the middle east, right there in the Mediterranean. Turkey and Assad are ideological enemies. Do the math.

Deleted
    You jokes right? LELL. Assad's Syria only exists by Russias "good will". Turkey controls access between the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. Russia doesn't back Assad because of any ideological reason. They back Assad because of the geographical advantage of having a friendly port in the middle east, right there in the Mediterranean. Turkey and Assad are ideological enemies. Do the math.
    I was talking about the chances of Turkey becoming an ally of Russia, not what happens if Turkey becomes an ally of Russia. The chances are slim. Turkey has nothing to gain from going with Russia's isolationist policies.

10+ Year Old Account

Pretty sure that Turkey got the message that they weren't going to be allowed into the EU some time ago. Last year: "Turkey will probably never become a member of the European Union because of stiff opposition and "prejudiced" attitudes from current members, a senior Turkish minister has admitted." (For that matter, the recent financial problems in the EU may also have helped persuade them that joining wouldn't be that advantageous anyway.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    @Tomatoketchup I t is partly religion and partly political, they don't want Turkey to join because they will have a say in eu politics because of their population and they don't want a Muslim country to have that much of a say.

Also occupation of Cyprus is to protect the Turks there from the Greek oppressors. If they didn't invade it would have been a genocide and before that point they were already being systematically killed off by the Greeks.
    Last edited by mmoc1faa427ad8; 2014-07-23 at 01:22 PM.

@Tomatoketchup I t is partly religion and partly political, they don't want Turkey to join because they will have a say in eu politics because of their population and they don't want a Muslim country to have that much of a say.
    The religion factor is absolutely true. Another factor is the size of the Turkish population combined with the relatively low income of Turkish people. Absorbing relatively small and not very prosperous nations like Romania and Bulgaria was already problematic. But to some extent this was mitigated by their small size. Turkey on the other hand has a population of over 78 million. Immigration could become a serious issue of which many European politicians are weary off, especially considering the rising anti-immigrant sentiments in much of Europe.

I think if European expansion becomes a thing again (which it will eventually) it will probably be aimed at what's left of the former Yugoslavia and the Ukraine.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2014-07-23 at 01:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also occupation of Cyprus is to protect the Turks there from Greek the oppressors. If they didn't invade it would have a genocide and before that point they were already being systematically killed off by the Greeks.
    No, they're there due to it being strategically important. Turkey has never given a flying fuck about the Turkish-Cypriots, just as the Greeks don't give a toss about the Greek-Cypriots.

Both Greece and Turkey can fuck off, and let Cypriots sort out our own problems without those two cunts interfering for their own agenda.

Deleted
    Also occupation of Cyprus is to protect the Turks there from Greek the oppressors. If they didn't invade it would have a genocide and before that point they were already being systematically killed off by the Greeks.
    Yeah, that's why the Turkish Cypriots were largely in favor of uniting Cyprus in the Annan Plan referendum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. I'd hope they did it because the US did stick their nose in, but now they're doing it because they didn't.. Way to send the right signal to the US.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Just let that sink in.
    yeah good luck there Turkey.

- - - Updated - - -

Fucking 'MURICA thinks they own the world. Next 10 years well see a new union in the east mark my words.
    Unless China is willing to throw away economic growth so Russians can feel special...... naaahhhhhh

Deleted
    Are you for real? Turkey joining would be a blessing, it's currently second fastest growing economy int he world. Comparing Turkey with Greece don't make me laugh.
    And yet pretty much nobody in the EU wants them to join. Regardless of the reason.
    Turkey's government is a joke. Their repeated threats of sanctions against other countries that don't do what they want are a joke.