Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The girl i'm dating has gauges, just because they make her happy.
    They look good at smaller sizes, even larger sizes depending on the person.(really not much different than hoop earrings.)

I guess it all depends person from person, Hers are about the size of a Silver Dollar maybe a little bigger, but instead of those ones that are hollow in the center hers have designs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I don't know about treating them "shitty," in the sense that you go out of your way to be purposely mean to them or something. But, in the same regard, I don't think someone has to just accept it if they think it's stupid. Or that we have to hold them in some higher regard for expressing their individuality.
    No, of course not. It's not everyone's taste and no one has to like it. People who make decisions to alter their appearance in a very obvious way have to understand that is going to happen, whether they want it to affect people's perception or not.

But I think too many people (not necessarily anyone here, jsut speaking on a general level) seem to cross the threshold of simply disliking something into treating them poorly because of it and justifying it because "well they chose it."
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    No, of course not. It's not everyone's taste and no one has to like it. People who make decisions to alter their appearance in a very obvious way have to understand that is going to happen, whether they want it to affect people's perception or not.

But I think too many people (not necessarily anyone here, jsut speaking on a general level) seem to cross the threshold of simply disliking something into treating them poorly because of it and justifying it because "well they chose it."
    I'm more of an "I told you so" person with a dash of cynicism. Rather than the "you won't ever got a job with shit in your face," it's more of a "what did I say about the shit in your face?" That and I marvel at the personal negligence of some people who do put themselves in that position. Maybe the employment scene is changing and is less judgmental about it, but I figure in a market where job competition is so great...why would someone purposely do something that could have a negative impact. You don't show up to an interview wearing a tshirt, or your uncle's SS uniform he was hiding in the attic.

If their choices hinder their opportunities, they really have only themselves to blame in the end. You can't really control what society is going to think, but you can control what you stick in your ears.

Shit I had piercings when I was younger, but it was always something I could take out that didn't leave a gaping mess on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    LED-implants! Disco glow beneath your skin!
    it works for Till...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLPE4vhSBx4
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-07-23 at 08:18 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

People are obligated, often legally, to treat people in a certain way on account of certain things they cannot help; such as race/sex/etc. The same is not true for things they can help; as we see with various establishments throughout the world that have dress codes/etc, and discriminate against people should they not adhere to them. You may think less of them for thinking/treating other people shittily, just as others think of other people in rather shitty terms for certain shitty life choices that can be helped. Not much to do about it; which is fine, as I suspect the cure would be worse than the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    LED-implants! Disco glow beneath your skin!
    Fuck That actually seems reasonable..... would be neat at parties.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    I'm more of an "I told you so" person with a dash of cynicism. Rather than the "you won't ever got a job with shit in your face," it's more of a "what did I say about the shit in your face?" That and I marvel at the personal negligence of some people who do put themselves in that position. Maybe the employment scene is changing and is less judgmental about it, but I figure in a market where job competition is so great...why would someone purposely do something that could have a negative impact. You don't show up to an interview wearing a tshirt, or your uncle's SS uniform he was hiding in the attic.

If their choices hinder their opportunities, they really have only themselves to blame in the end. You can't really control what society is going to think, but you can control what you stick in your ears.

Shit I had piercings when I was younger, but it was always something I could take out that didn't leave a gaping mess on my face.
    You can get flesh coloured plugs (the ones without the hole in the middle) to conceal them if you know a job probably won't like them on show.
    Though the bigger they are the more obvious it might be depending how well they match your skin colour.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Fuck That actually seems reasonable..... would be neat at parties.
    Some of those white black light sensitive tatts look amazing too.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeross View Post
    You can get flesh coloured plugs (the ones without the hole in the middle) to conceal them if you know a job probably won't like them on show.
    Though the bigger they are the more obvious it might be depending how well they match your skin colour.
    and they're good for concealment up to what, beyond 20 feet? If anything they look more conspicuous.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like there should be a NSFW tag on some of the pictures in this thread, but regardless, its a pretty good way to see who not hire just based on the look imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    I feel like there should be a NSFW tag on some of the pictures in this thread, but regardless, its a pretty good way to see who not hire just based on the look imo.
    Get ready to be called a bigot/etc, just because you judge people on the basis of obvious and unwise life choices.

Deleted
    and they're good for concealment up to what, beyond 20 feet? If anything they look more conspicuous.
    Haha, could just get custom ones with the company logo on them instead?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Get ready to be called a bigot/etc, just because you judge people on the basis of obvious and unwise life choices.
    It's a catch-22. They're only unwise life choices because people judge based on them. People judge based on them because they're unwise life choices.

I know a lot of people who have them, some have huge ones and some small. Personally I don't mind smaller ones, but large ones look awful. I wouldn't get them personally though. I do like small ones on some girls though, depends on the person I guess.

Also nobody should put a gauge anywhere but their ears. Like it is nasty when people have them in their cheeks, nose, lips etc..

Some people just go too far

These ones look good

These look awful
    Last edited by worprz; 2014-07-23 at 08:34 PM.

Deleted
    Had to look up what the heck an ear gauge was. Yikes. I'll stick to my hearing aids, thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Some people need to be seen as "extreme", used to be tattoo's, but they've become mainstream, gauges are becoming mainstream as well now, can't wait to see whats next.
    Most likely branding/scarification.

Deleted
    The people that have them likely think they are visually pleasing and/or that their peers find them visually pleasing.

That's why.

And why is that? Because people have different tastes. Simple really.

Deleted

You can argue that body modification is a new expression of body art, and I'd certainly agree. But the random assortment of holes in one's face is not art, it is a farcical allusion to art. Some people modify themselves to look like vampires, more power to them. I don't find it pleasing personally, but one can see an intent to create a new aesthetic whilst retaining a central focus.

Modifying your body in a way that is extremely difficult to remedy (and by the way simply sewing it together is rarely the only course of action as tissue has to be removed to cause a scar to form, resulting in considerable deformity ), without any apparent attempt at some expression tells me something about the individual. Doing something like that for fashion, to fit in, to rebel, or simply on a whim would make me consider that individual foolishly disrespectful to their own body.

I wouldn't treat them different, or immediately write them off, but they'd have a harder time making a good impression on me than someone with some tattoos and piercings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko93 View Post
    Most likely branding/scarification.
    Sub-dermal implants are the rage right now, although they're not the smartest choice due to their possible rupturing.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It's a catch-22. They're only unwise life choices because people judge based on them. People judge based on them because they're unwise life choices.
    Maybe I am misunderstanding what your saying here, but...
    It is a unwise life choice to get gauged because people who have the power to influence your life can judge you because of them.
    People who judge those who are gauged, are making a unwise life choice in judging them?
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    If that is what your stating... I can't disagree more. I'm heavily tattooed, many of them visible. I have the right to like or dislike varying things, and have a personal opinion. If I own a business I am also allowed to hire people I see fit, as long as I'm not discriminating against a protected class/people (ie not hiring a black guy due to being black.) If I dislike gauges, and have a quality number of people without them who are equally qualified/productive, how is it a unwise choice to hire those who present the image I want my company to project?
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    This.

As someone who holds an administrative position in addition to my own job as an engineer, i must say... You show up to an interview with that shit in your face. You are not getting hired. Period. I will not discriminate based on sex or race, but i will sure as hell discriminate against someone who displays such an overtly unprofessional appearance. The same goes for facial or neck tattoos.

But hey! If you plan on working as a Barista for the rest of your life, go right on ahead and wreck up your face - it is yours after all. But you have nobody to blame but yourself for the consequences.

[edit: typo fix]
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2014-07-23 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    They are welcome to do that as well if they want to.

Even so, i can't say i care very much about the opinion of the PC brigade when it comes to hideously large ear gauges.