Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Twitter is to blame for women and African Americans not getting tech degrees

Saw this today (and previously this month with Google and Facebook's report). This just goes to show how toxic and influential radical feminists and other radical minority groups can be.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...eaking+News%29
    http://recode.net/2014/06/25/faceboo...s-and-googles/
    http://www.worldtechtoday.com/facebo.../lydia-calwell

No, the fact that 4 of 5 bachelor degrees given in computer science go to men isn't to blame, or the fact that only 10% of college graduates are black (tech fields are sub 2% among African Americans). Twitter and Silicon Valley are at fault, cause... EQUALITY!

If you google "Twitter" right now and go to the news section, you'll see people flipping tables over it, every major news outlet is seemingly bashing them to no end without an ounce of logical thought or research.

So now these companies are going to have to hire less qualified applicants en masse over rightfully qualified male/white/asian applicants, all to win over public opinion influenced by idiotic fringe groups.

This is why we can't have nice things.

/rant
    Last edited by glo; 2014-07-24 at 09:19 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn you twitter, damn youuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deleted
    Jesus, these radical feminists are not only discrediting themselves with these insane actions, but also making legitimate feminists who are all for equality look bad too.

10+ Year Old Account
    "These include affinity groups like WomEng (women in engineering), SWAT (super women at Twitter), TwUX (Twitter women in design), Blackbird (Tweeps of color), TwitterOpen (LGBTQ folks), and Alas (Latino and Latina employees), she said."

Are they serious with those names?
    You're a towel.

I don't see what the fuss is about?

They published some figures and said "Oh we should do better at this"...

Maybe in 2 years time after arbitrarily sacking 30% of their workforce to replace then with female minorities and the company plummets into obscurity might there be something to discuss... until then...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Jesus, these radical feminists are not only discrediting themselves with these insane actions, but also making legitimate feminists who are all for equality look bad too.
    Those aren't feminist, they are equal rights activist.

twitter killed my father
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this tumblr at it again? That's the place where id expect to find such stupidity.

"Janet Van Huysse, vice president of Diversity and Inclusion at Twitter, wrote in a blog post"

What a totally useful department.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    Those aren't feminist, they are equal rights activist.
    True, that is what they should be called. I do see people who claim to be feminist yet also claim to want the exact same things as an equal rights activist so why do we even have the word "feminist" anymore, unless you are completely open about wanting to be the superior gender.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Are they serious with those names?
    You have to understand that these people are mentally unstable. They're not just odd or eccentric, they are literally mentally disturbed and should seek professional help.

They live in a world filled with delusions and the only way they can find some purpose in life is to oppose something - in this particular case it's men. Tomorrow it might be something else.

Diversity for the sake of diversity rarely works out well. The world is becoming a pretty scary place now that extremist groups end up pressuring organisations into adhering to a very warped ideal of equality and diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    snip
    Well, they can flip tables all the want. It becomes yet another vehicle for women and minorities to be taken less seriously. Major own goal imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh god... This happens time and time again, people blaming companies for not hiring a more diverse workforce. What they never mention in their public outrage is how diverse the pool of potential and qualified applicants are, and how that would make ALL the difference, and how we can change that. They're just randomly lashing out at effects instead of focusing on the cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets hope that they all boycott Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr for 'being part of the problem'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DSQ91 View Post
    "Janet Van Huysse, vice president of Diversity and Inclusion at Twitter, wrote in a blog post"

What a totally useful department.
    It must be a nice and easy job, since it seems the only data you need to analyse is gender/ethnicity statistics of employees and nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemelech View Post
    It must be a nice and easy job, since it seems the only data you need to analyse is gender/ethnicity statistics of employees and nothing else.
    Keep in mind she's the VICE president to boot.

In case the NORMAL president of Diversity and Inclusion at Twitter isn't able to fulfill their role of being inclusive and diverse enough, apparently.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Rights are individual, not collective. Who cares.

In being (most likely) the only person who read the first article and didn't take the OP at face value, I have to ask. Why did the OP try to act as though blacks, Hispanics (which he left out in his OP strangely enough), and women were targeting, blaming, and going after Twitter. When it comes down to Twitter's own stated beliefs in terms of what they're doing in regards to diversity?
    Last edited by Booshman; 2014-07-24 at 10:06 AM.

Deleted
    Never did understand why Americans call blacks African Americans and Europeans just call them black.

I'm pretty sure if they did a report on how many of these groups applied and how well each did the numbers would seem normal. I'd like to hope big name companies hire you because of your skill and not the colour of your skin. I can (sadly) understand that if all groups where to score 100% the same looks / background would play some factor in it.