Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    "Unknown" actors isn't the problem - at all. Hollywood is saturated with overused faces and could use some diversification - there's thousands of great actors and actresses out there, and if I see the name Meryl Streep on another female Oscar nomination again I'm probably gonna fall asleep.

Jesus christ they even gave jennifer lawrence and oscar and she's on par with same-face kirsten stewart, always exhibiting the same emotion.

To hell with that bullshit.

The problem I see so far though is the lack of seemingly understanding of what Warcraft is. The weapon props I've seen so far look BC style era, with pointless details that no one would say "OMG WOW!" if I didn't tell you they were in the Warcraft movie. They look like extremely high fantasy the type you see drawn on cheap fantasy books at the store trying to make things as flashy as possible.

The Alliance shield has a huge golden eagle on it - completely out of Alliance style and overblown. Alliance DO use flourish, but it's always with style and restraint, and mostly in WoW. In cinematics and art they otherwise use mostly FUNCTIONAL armor and weapons, trading flourish and pointless details for extra thickness and defense.

The Warcraft logo looks like someone thought they were making the Starcraft logo and halfway through someone told them "HEY THIS IS WARCRAFT BTW" and he was too lazy to start over.

So far, not impressed at all with any of the leaks, hints or anything else. At Blizzcon last year they revealed art for the Warcraft movie, and Stormwind was depicted as a city with a huge fucking cathedral at its crest.

This isn't the Vatican. Warcraft does have Paladins and Priests and humans do believe in the Light, but that shit makes them look like some 14th century god fearing people who make churches everywhere. This isn't Paris, we don't need Notre-Dame. To me it doesn't scream "Warcraft humans", it once again screams "We don't understand our universe." Like if you look at Stratholme in WoW, sure, it does have a cathedral, but it's not half the city, and it shouldn't be. It sends the wrong message. Humans' tallest buildings should be their keeps and walls, not fucking churches.

The only positive thing I can comment about is the Ironforge and Durotar artwork, otherwise Dalaran looks ridiculous in purple filter. It's called the Violet Citadel, not the Violet City.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I agree. Even if every single person why plays WoW and who played Warcraft games went to see it, that might be 30 million people. At $6.50 per movie ticket, it would only make about $190 million, and we all know that every single warcraft player isnt going to go see it in theaters. They need to draw in non-fans too

- - - Updated - - -

And most movies up for best movie in award ceremonies, dont make much money because they are usually only liked by those in the business who vote on them. Often they are crappy artsy movies that dont appeal to the general public. Its the reason non of the highest grossing movies of all time won a best picture award and they should have. No matter how good it is, youll never see a fantasy, Sci-Fi, or Horror movie win an award for anything other than best sound or art direction
    6.50 per ticket? Tickets cost here 9.50$ on Tuesdays, every other day it's 14$ for regular and like 18$ for 3D.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Lawyer View Post
    "Unknown" actors isn't the problem - at all. Hollywood is saturated with overused faces and could use some diversification - there's thousands of great actors and actresses out there, and if I see the name Meryl Streep on another female Oscar nomination again I'm probably gonna fall asleep.

Jesus christ they even gave jennifer lawrence and oscar and she's on par with same-face kirsten stewart, always exhibiting the same emotion.

The problem I see so far though is the lack of seemingly understanding of what Warcraft is. The weapon props I've seen so far look BC style era, with pointless details that no one would say "OMG WOW!" if I didn't tell you they were in the Warcraft movie. They look like extremely high fantasy the type you see drawn on cheap fantasy books at the store trying to make things as flashy as possible.

The Alliance shield has a huge golden eagle on it - completely out of Alliance style and overblown. Alliance DO use flourish, but it's always with style and restraint, and mostly in WoW. In cinematics and art they otherwise use mostly FUNCTIONAL armor and weapons, trading flourish and pointless details for extra thickness and defense.

The Warcraft logo looks like someone thought they were making the Starcraft logo and halfway through someone told them "HEY THIS IS WARCRAFT BTW" and he was too lazy to start over.

So far, not impressed at all with any of the leaks, hints or anything else. At Blizzcon last year they revealed art for the Warcraft movie, and Stormwind was depicted as a city with a huge fucking cathedral at its crest.

This isn't the Vatican. Warcraft does have Paladins and Priests and humans do believe in the Light, but that shit makes them look like some 14th century god fearing people who make churches everywhere. This isn't Paris, we don't need Notre-Dame. To me it doesn't scream "Warcraft humans", it once again screams "We don't understand our universe." Like if you look at Stratholme in WoW, sure, it does have a cathedral, but it's not half the city, and it shouldn't be. It sends the wrong message. Humans' tallest buildings should be their keeps and walls, not fucking churches.

The only positive thing I can comment about is the Ironforge and Durotar artwork, otherwise Dalaran looks ridiculous in purple filter. It's called the Violet Citadel, not the Violet City.

- - - Updated - - -

6.50 per ticket? Tickets cost here 9.50$ on Tuesdays, every other day it's 14$ for regular and like 18$ for 3D.

A Gif of a really bad Logo LOL not exactly inspirational!

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    A Gif of a really bad Logo LOL not exactly inspirational!
    Well then they should wait to make it better. You only make first impressions once. At comic con, at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then they should wait to make it better. You only make first impressions once. At comic con, at that.
    Well maybe they will have more at Blizzcon, they could do an entire Trailer with cast members that either wont be in the movie or playing parts they have nothing to do with LOL!

In the game though the cathedral is the tallest and most distinguishable building of the Stormwind. I kinda see why they would make it so in the movie (the castle is huge too but it's next to a mountain and looks kinda small because of that).

10+ Year Old Account
    Lord of the Rings did have Christopher Lee in it who was in Hundreds of good movies, and Ian McKellan who was in tons of good movies too and both were well known.
    Not just that.....

It's just the fact that every kid and it's Grandma were suddenly exposed to the cast as such.
    But there was basically not a single unknown actor in LOTR. They were all in other movies before.
    Let's have a quick look at some of the main characters, and what they've done before:
    The vita's for Christopher Lee and Ian McKellen aren't needed here, the former is known for boatloads of movies, the latter is a renown Shakespeare theater actor alone, aside for any movie project.

Elijah Wood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elijah_Wood_filmography
    Viggo Mortensen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viggo_M...en#Filmography
    Sean Bean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Bean#Filmography
    Sean Astin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Astin#Filmography
    John Rhys-Davis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rh...es#Filmography
    Liv Tyler: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liv_Tyler#Filmography
    Hugo Weaving: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Weaving#Filmography
    Karl Urban: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Urban#Filmography
    Bernard Hill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Hill#Theatre
    Cate Blanchett: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cate_Blanchett#Filmography

That list could be continued with more.... A sizable amount of actors with quite a significant portfolio.
    A few exceptions exist with Merry and Legolas for example. Those actors had rather little experience before.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-07-27 at 04:00 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I thought they shot themselves in the foot when they decided to go live action and not just create a CGI film. Blizzard should have taken it into their own hands to create a full length film using their CGI technology. I've always loved the Warcraft cinematics, not sure why they thought it was necessary to go live action with this film.
    Because it would be less attractive to the non-gamer crowd and would most likely get alot of parents thinking it's a pixar/dreamworks film because it's done with computers

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki View Post
    I always love the whole A-list actor thing, how do you think they become that? They get a break through role, Harrison Ford had Han Solo, more recently Robert Downey Jr. had Tony Stark. Just because it doesnt have an high dollar big name actor doesnt mean it doesnt have talented passionate actors in it.
    Yeah. Noone knew who Harrison Ford was when Star Wars came out. That's how actors become acclaimed.

I reckon it will make $150-200 billion. Enough to warrant a sequel. The Warcraft name is big enough to draw attention, and it sounds like they've given it a unique treatment to set it apart from other fantasy films. You don't necessarily need huge names to draw audiences, but they have a very solid cast from the looks of it.

The artwork and props released so far show they're staying very close to the source material. Doomhammer and the Dark Portal look exactly as you'd imagine them.

Sorry, but Paula Patton, Toby Kebbel and Dominic Cooper are some pretty big names, I would hardly call them 'nobodies'. They've all had some decent scale productions, and just because they aren't the biggest names like Tom Cruise or Johnny Depp doesn't mean this is going to be a B list movie.

I think it would be cool if the Warcraft movie trilogy followed the RTS game trilogy, we know the first movie takes place during the events of Orcs and Humans and possibly Tides of Darkness, so the movie list would probably resemble:

Warcraft (Orcs and Humans)
    Warcraft: Reign of Chaos
    Warcraft: The Frozen Throne
    You just lost The Game

Fantasy movies are hard to do well. And then add to it that there has yet to be a good movie based on a video game and the odds of this being a good movie are long indeed. But hope for the best, expect the worst.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    You're talking about that huge building in the background I assume? You sure that's the cathedral and not the keep? Remember, they're not necessarily going to keep the geography the same.

About the "A list": It's not necessary or mandatory, not at all, if the acting (and the history, the production and the cgi) is solid good.

Best example at hand?: TV show GAME-OF-THRONES. Before the show, the majority of the actors where unknown. All of them gave fantastic performances season after season, the show became a HUGE, MASSIVE hit, and now all of them are worldwide famous.

10+ Year Old Account
    True, but the unknown actors should start out in sitcoms, commercials, and made for TV movies, NOT blockbuster grade A movies
    If people don't know who the main actor's are in this film then they've been living under a rock. Hardly any unknowns in this film.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosstafa View Post
    I reckon it will make $150-200 billion. Enough to warrant a sequel.
    I'd guess the movie ends up with 2 - 2.5 times the investment as revenue.
    The way I see it is, if they'd cater the movie for the active and recently active player bases, the movie would flop in regards of revenue.
    Something tells me, that with those who do play the game, or have played recently, there's little money to make. A large portion of that consumer group won't pay a dime for a movie ticket, and is instead going to stream it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    You're talking about that huge building in the background I assume? You sure that's the cathedral and not the keep? Remember, they're not necessarily going to keep the geography the same.
    Looks like the cathedral to me:

https://theothertank.files.wordpress...hedral1-31.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    True, but the unknown actors should start out in sitcoms, commercials, and made for TV movies, NOT blockbuster grade A movies
    Sitcoms are for established actors, that don't wanna do much anymore, and instead making big bucks for an episode a week, which makes them more money than a several week/month lasting movie shooting.

What it boils down to with movies is, how good your level of common knowledge is, and further more how good your knowledge of the genre theater/movie is.
    If those are good, then the main cast of Warcraft are hardly unknown actors.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didacticus Syntacticus View Post
    So, although Robert Downey Jr. got an Oscar nomination for Chaplin (and lost it to a shitty and totally forgotten Pacino performance) and should have got one for Less Than Zero, he got his "break" in Iron Man?

It's interesting that you would think that.

Downey was an A-lister from his days in the brat pack, but he was too much into substances for big-dollar projects to afford for a decade or so, because, insurance and general nuisance. It was Tropic Thunder that put him back on the map.
    Totally agree, Downey has been in some great films before Ironman - A Scanner Darkly comes to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

That's because Hollywood is dominated by white males. The Oscars have no bearing on true talent, just hype.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

When some people hear warcraft is based on world of Warcraft in any way it will turn them off.

Also just look at the actor who plays anikAn skywalker in episodes 2 and 3. He was unknown and he turned out awesome especially with the romance.. Lol sarcasm

Whether is going to be a good movie or not, I'm still pissed about their policy to keep everything a secret. Has anyone watched how Peter Jackson vlogged his Making of Hobbit? And released vlogs, WHILE shooting? And we get, after 8 years, a freaking logo? And 3 weapons to look at ? This is so irritating. Imagine if they show up at Blizzcon, and they give us the "we can't show much, still in production, here's some more concept art". Although I know there is gonna be for sure atleast a teaser, but still. Too little, way too little. It's like they don't want to create hype or something..