Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Read post #125, where they state they went to Europe and couldn't find any Mexican restaurants, despite asking around, as people said it was too spicy.

As you and I know, there isn't a High Street in Britain without at least one curry house.
    Allow me to quote myself good sir

Haven't been to Europe since 2000, but didn't see a single Mexican place anywhere at that point. I did a lot of asking around, and the folks I talked said they knew someone who ate Mexican food once, and they didn't like it because it was to spicey. When I really think about it though, Mexican food is kind of a bastardization of Spanish food. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    The people I talked to had never even had Mexican food, they just assumed it was too spicey and why no Mexican restaurant, including Taco Bell, could stay in business in the UK. Again. This was 14 years ago, I'm not lying here. You are taking it as an insult somehow, and it makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    As the title says. Why and what kind do you like the most?
    I love it, as along as it's processed. Give me taco bell tacos all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Allow me to quote myself good sir

The people I talked to had never even had Mexican food, they just assumed it was too spicey and why no Mexican restaurant, including Taco Bell, could stay in business in the UK. Again. This was 14 years ago, I'm not lying here. You are taking it as an insult somehow, and it makes no sense.
    I'm not taking it as an insult, I'm calling bullshit on something that is obviously bullshit.

Indian is arguably the most popular dish in Britain, has been for decades, and it's spicy.

We have a Mexican/Texmex restaurant in my small town in the Netherlands. With such great, traditional, staple Mexican foods like outback steak, Texasburger (whatever the hell that is :S), mussels and Mexican schitzel! And of course Tapas (they are called different in south/middle America right?) and spare ribs.

In all fairness, they do have 2 kinds of Fajitas and 1 enchilada dish

I'm not taking it as an insult, I'm calling bullshit on something that is obviously bullshit.

Indian is arguably the most popular dish in Britain, has been for decades, and it's spicy.
    England isn't really Europe though, just like New York City isn't really part of New York State.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    England isn't really Europe though, just like New York City isn't really part of New York State.
    I would compare the UK more to Buffalo tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I would compare the UK more to Buffalo tbh
    Yes, 9 hour drive from NYC, a couple professional sports teams that almost won something a couple times over the last 25 years. Grew up in Buffalo, so I would agree it is a better comparison.

Deleted

You don't need to constantly ''call out bullshit'', why don't you just explain that he was misinformed about the state of cuisine around that time period without being so brash about it.

I don't think he was lying, I think he spoke to the wrong people.

The fact is that Mexican cuisine isn't exactly prominent in the UK , and it especially wasn't 14 years ago. It would have been relatively easy to travel to the UK and come away with the impression that we haven't adopted the Mexican food at all, even more-so when you factor in that back then we didn't have the tools to whip our shiny smartphone and find exactly what we want to eat in a matter of minutes.

He is just sharing his own anecdotal experiences and in no way trying to pass them of as fact, Here - Take some chill pills.
    Last edited by mmoc5faa071c10; 2014-07-29 at 12:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    You don't need to constantly ''call out bullshit'', why don't you just explain that he was misinformed about the state of cuisine around that time period without being so brash about it.

I don't think he was lying, I think he spoke to the wrong people.

The fact is that Mexican cuisine isn't exactly prominent in the UK , and it especially wasn't 14 years ago. It would have been relatively easy to travel to the UK and come away with the impression that we haven't adopted the Mexican food at all, even more-so when you factor in that back then we didn't have the tools to whip our shiny smartphone and find exactly what we want to eat in a matter of minutes.

He is just sharing his own anecdotal experiences and in no way trying to pass them of as fact, Here - Take some chill pills.
    If I want to call someone out on obvious bullshit, then why shouldn't I? I don't claim that there weren't any Greek restaurants in New York when I went there, and then invent some anecdote about how the locals wouldn't eat any meat dishes.

I come here for debate, not to listen to people spout bollocks like saying British people wouldn't eat spicy food, or that Americans invented apple pie. Seriously, the crap some people come out with!

Who are you to tell me what I can debate, or how I can debate? If you don't want to read my posts, then put me on ignore.

Deleted
    If I want to call someone out on obvious bullshit, then why shouldn't I? I don't claim that there weren't any Greek restaurants in New York when I went there, and then invent some anecdote about how the locals wouldn't eat any meat dishes.

I come here for debate, not to listen to people spout bollocks like saying British people wouldn't eat spicy food, or that Americans invented apple pie. Seriously, the crap some people come out with!

Who are you to tell me what I can debate, or how I can debate? If you don't want to read my posts, then put me on ignore.

I'm not telling you what you can and can't debate, I'm just trying to give you some perspective of how you come across when you are so harshly criticizing someone who is simply sharing his own personal travel experience.

It's entirely plausible that he didn't see a Mexican restaurant in his travels, and he has literally nothing to gain from lying about this.

He is not saying that British people wouldn't eat spicy food, He is saying that the people he met and interacted with didn't prefer spicy food. I really don't see how hard that is to comprehend but there you go.

You are not debating either, you are just shouting him down with ''Nope Nope Nope, This is how it is and your completely anecdotal experiences that have no basis of objective fact are WRONG''

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not telling you what you can and can't debate, I'm just trying to give you some perspective of how you come across when you are so harshly criticizing someone who is simply sharing his own personal travel experience.

It's entirely plausible that he didn't see a Mexican restaurant in his travels, and he has literally nothing to gain from lying about this.

He is not saying that British people wouldn't eat spicy food, He is saying that the people he met and interacted with didn't prefer spicy food. I really don't see how hard that is to comprehend but there you go.

You are not debating either, you are just shouting him down with ''Nope Nope Nope, This is how it is and your completely anecdotal experiences that have no basis of objective fact are WRONG''
    Once again...

If you don't want to read my posts, then put me on ignore.
    I'm not here to make friends or be nice to random people on the internet - with the exception of certain people that I genuinely do like as they entertain me - I do that in Malta.

Deleted

I'm not here to make friends or be nice to random people on the internet - with the exception of certain people that I genuinely do like as they entertain me - I do that in Malta.

Okay fair enough, On the topic of Malta do you know a guy with the nickname of ''Sushi'' who lives there? He is a friend that moved there about a year ago from Ireland. (Only asking because Malta is so god damn small)

I suppose that question is annoying as people asking me if I know Bono because I live in Ireland but it is worth a shot.
    Last edited by mmoc5faa071c10; 2014-07-29 at 12:59 PM.

I've had both traditional and Americanized Mexican food(and living in Texas, also plenty of Tex-Mex), and I eat pretty much all of it. I'll always love me some burritos though.

Born and raised in New Mexico - I prefer NEW Mexican food

10+ Year Old Account
    I live Taco Bell (Volacano Burrito, mmm) as well as Churro thingies

So yeah, in general I like it!
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay fair enough, On the topic of Malta do you know a guy with the nickname of ''Sushi'' who lives there? He is a friend that moved there about a year ago from Ireland. (Only asking because Malta is so god damn small)

I suppose that question is annoying as people asking me if I know Bono because I live in Ireland but it is worth a shot.
    If he works in internet gaming, or plays rugby over here, my brother may know him, but I don't.

Yeah, there's a few Mexican dishes that I really enjoy. I haven't had any for a while, though - but I did used to like making fajitas and tacos. I don't like the fast food versions, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    When I really think about it though, Mexican food is kind of a bastardization of Spanish food. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Not even close. I lived in Spain for some time, and I can tell you without hesitation that nothing the Spanish make is similar to Mexican Food. Now if you said Cuban food is kind of like Spanish food with Caribbean ingredients, yah.

Mexican food is native to the North American Continent. Tortilla in Spain is an omelet.

In Mexico, South west US, Central America, and Northern South America, the word for Omelet in Spanish became used for the indigenous flat bread the local people used.

The use of heavy spices, in meat, indigenous. The only thing Hispanic food took from Spain was the use of rice, however in Mexico and Central America nothing is added to the rice, other than some slight seasoning, unlike Spain, which tosses in every type of meat imaginable.

Of course you could say that Mexico uses steak in a lot of their food just like Spain, but then seasoned beef is found in every culture that eats beef.

Of course the reason why Mexican style foods are still based on the local cuisine of the indigenous peoples and Cuban food is like Spain. It has to do with how the Spanish colonized each region.

Cuba was the capital of Spanish controlled America, so many of the colonists were affluent and brought their whole families, including their chiefs, eventually the local cuisine became a mirror of Spanish food. However in Mexico only local Governors had such luxury, Spain sent no women to their American colonies, only single men. After a couple of hundred years of this practice the Spanish blood mixed thoroughly into the local population. However Spanish men didn't cook, so the local women did this. The names of these foods became Spanish, but the food was still local.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm from NM, and Mexican food is quite boring, usually. What most think of as "Mexican" food is New Mexican or Tex-Mex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nachos are the best food, so yes.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8