Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Even I'm at only 258 games and I know that's stupid.

Granted, I do have almost 900 games of Dota 2 I think, so I guess it's not like I'm new to the MOBA style
    Is that total or just HL games? I'm talking total games. I got placed two days after the rank reset, these guys have barely reached level 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Is that total or just HL games? I'm talking total games. I got placed two days after the rank reset, these guys have barely reached level 40.
    Total. I only have 20 HL games for my placement, and I got placed at rank 31. *shrug*

Total. I only have 20 HL games for my placement, and I got placed at rank 31. *shrug*
    ...I got 35 after the reset. Friends of mine got 14 after never having played before. This system baffles me every single day. I just can't decipher whatever logic was used to create it.

...I got 35 after the reset. Friends of mine got 14 after never having played before. This system baffles me every single day. I just can't decipher whatever logic was used to create it.
    Psh we're just better than you with less play

I'm teasing of course, I just find it hard to go strictly by the amount of games played, because it doesn't take into account MOBA experience in general, even with the different styles of games, there's still the basics like landing skillshots, knowing when to retreat and when to not overextend, etc.

Granted, if you're grouped with someone who's obviously doing terrible, and they have a low game count I could see what you'd mean.

Psh we're just better than you with less play

I'm teasing of course, I just find it hard to go strictly by the amount of games played, because it doesn't take into account MOBA experience in general, even with the different styles of games, there's still the basics like landing skillshots, knowing when to retreat and when to not overextend, etc.

Granted, if you're grouped with someone who's obviously doing terrible, and they have a low game count I could see what you'd mean.
    Previous MOBA experience definitely help, but there's no way this game can know whether someone has that or not. And even with previous experience, 180 games isn't nearly enough games to learn the intricacies of this game or to get instinctual knowledge of how to react to certain situations. Stuff like how to juke the expected Storm Bolt path or knowing that you should take your bruiser camp on Sky Temple around 4 minutes. And then there's the talent picks. If only people would just take the cookie cutter builds off of HOTSlogs. They're rigid and serve only some situations, but it's infinitely better than the pure roots specced Malfurions I keep running into. -.-

As a note, I do only have around 340 HL games. However, the other 1900 I have are Quick Match. QM is not the best of places, but you run into so much shit you get to see almost everything and get to learn, even if your team comp is completely bent thanks to the matchmaker.

One of those nights, 10 games 10 losses.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    One of those nights, 10 games 10 losses.
    Had the opposite today. Played 5, won 5. Gained 3 ranks in the process.
    Different heroes too every time I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Muis View Post
    I even managed to gain a rank up on what I had before my miserable loss streak!

10+ Year Old Account
    Had a big losing streak at the beginning of the day when playing Artanis in QM. While still doing well individually, we still lost because my team mates didn't pay any attention.

However, once I switched to Nova... Oh boy, it was like Christmas had come early. Had an even larger winning streak than I had lost before and I was able to secure wins for a few games on my own thanks to my snipes. Also had some really good support which assisted me greatly. Only two games I lost and one was still a very fun match despite our team messing up with the Dragon Knight. Most games I topped takedowns and Hero damage or at least was second place in those categories. My only guess as to why I did so well was because Nova has the ability to severely punish greedy plays and misplays, which I tried to take advantage of constantly. Always made sure to take the soloers and make it a 4vs5 before the match even started.

Getting this winstreak reminded me of why I love playing this game so much.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2015-12-01 at 12:57 AM.

this is interesting. i mostly quit playing, now you all are getting these horrible games. guess the people that are supposed to be getting matched with me cant, so you all are getting them. lol
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    this is interesting. i mostly quit playing, now you all are getting these horrible games. guess the people that are supposed to be getting matched with me cant, so you all are getting them. lol
    I was just assumining you had possessed Nerraw in some sort of horrible voodoo ritual
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Playing/rotating different heroes helps a lot. It's like fresh air. For instance, Thrall is one of my favourites. But in HL, I've had more success with Li Li. And there was one point here I had more QM kills on Rexxar than I had on Thrall, despite lesser number of games played on Rexxar. Only thing I regret is that I only have 2 heroes that are at level 7. Most of my friends have at least 2-3 heroes on level 9 if not 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    I even managed to gain a rank up on what I had before my miserable loss streak!
    Well you got bonus points for a few of em while I didn't >.>

So, I've been experimenting with a Gathering Power Nazeebo build. It's actually really effective: http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talen...r/nazeebo#kgOg

Basically the toad build but also takes Ravenous Spirit to get some heroic benefit from GP. As such, I only recommend taking it when they don't have a simple way to stop your channel. It's a late game build so make sure your team can work with that, but so long as you can play safe you'll devastate the late game. A well placed toad attack with high stacks will provide very similar if not better results to a max stacked Azmodan.

I had an ETC get a great mosh and more or less wiped the team myself with the Spirit.

It's certainly a niche way to build, but given the opportunity it's, in my humble estimation, the best way. Bolt is interchangeable, I just consider it invaluable when you need to make sure you don't die.
    I am the lucid dream

Well you got bonus points for a few of em while I didn't >.>
    I also lost a bunch of games I wasn't supposed to before you joined.

- - - Updated - - -

HL game, Sky Temple, I went as Muradin and ended up 1.6k hero damage behind our Jaina who thought it prudent to go full PVE build.

- - - Updated - - -

Managed to follow up with a Sonya game on Cursed Hollow. We won in 15 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free Nova and Artanis week. Yaaaaaay... ... ...

Two games both of them artanis no clue how to build. Both fed the other team quite nicely. Just take defensive talents and learn how to play him rather than taking all dash skills while you die on half of your dash attempts. This isn't hard.

Nova, ah yes guys who pick gathering power and couldn't snipe either they wait ages to land the snipe revealing themselves post team fight. Or they get too scared to reveal themselves and never participate in any team fight. Here's a wild idea new hero skill shot based. Pick the talents that don't require you to play it well. Such as envenom.

Artanis is in every game now, so today will be terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Free Nova and Artanis week. Yaaaaaay... ... ...

Two games both of them artanis no clue how to build. Both fed the other team quite nicely. Just take defensive talents and learn how to play him rather than taking all dash skills while you die on half of your dash attempts. This isn't hard.

Nova, ah yes guys who pick gathering power and couldn't snipe either they wait ages to land the snipe revealing themselves post team fight. Or they get too scared to reveal themselves and never participate in any team fight. Here's a wild idea new hero skill shot based. Pick the talents that don't require you to play it well. Such as envenom.

Pick Nova yourself, or get a stun hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea best char u can play in a free nova+artanis week is something beefy and stun abilities.

Muradin/ETC/Uther/Raynor (if u spec Give Me More+Bullseye) are decent options.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Try Muradin, pretty close to a hard counter.
    I am the lucid dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick Nova yourself, or get a stun hero.
    What i am doing playing nova mostly. Snipe, Snipe, Snipe. But nova vs nova can be rather dull at times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Try Muradin, pretty close to a hard counter.
    I'm not concerned about the one on the other team more about the one on my team