Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Best Way to Catch a Scumbag.

So this little shithead across the street thinks he can syphon my gas tank and get away with it. Hes a fat dumpy bastard and would definitely lose to me if it came to blows; I can't say I've ever particularly liked the kid, and whether or not he only got ~20 bucks of gas from my tank is not the point; it's the principle. Short of constantly monitoring my truck, I kind of want to catch the guy in the act or get back at him some way. Friends have already said dump sugar in his gas tank but that's me being the aggressor in the polices' eyes and the last thing I want to do is make myself guilty.

What would you do?

BTW. The gas cap is opened via a lever in the car; it's locked otherwise. Theres a nice gash by the gas tank where the little shit used a screwdriver to jimmy it open, so 'just get a locking gas cap' is out as far as options go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

Park your car in a garage

Video tape him doing it. Show police.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Put up a camera, catch him in the act, take it to police.

Good luck.
    Best advice you're going to get. There's no way you're going to get back at him physically without making yourself guilty.

Set up a camera inside your home aimed at your trucks gas cap and record...

10+ Year Old Account
    best way to catch a scumbag is use another scumbag

Deleted
    Video tape him, don't risk jail time over a little gas.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Video tape him, don't risk jail time over a little gas.
    This. I hope he learns from that.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could buy a locking gas CAP to replace the factory one. They require a key to remove. He might be able to pry open the door covering the cap, but he wont be able to pry off the cap. They look like this..

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10504-Lo.../dp/B000B8JUAW

You guys are all right. I figured I'd get the enabling responses to beat his ass. But nah. You're all right, I will handle it legally. Though the investment of having to buy a camera AND leave it running all night just to catch a scumbag in the act is not something I thought I'd ever have to do given the quaint suburb I live in. I moved out of New Haven, CT for much worse reasons, (one of the worst crime cities in the country) and thought I'd be done with this bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Get real bro, if walkers bite Daryl, they become Daryl's.

Dump a ton of glitter into his car's A/C air-intake. He'll be dealing with it for months.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2014-07-26 at 11:39 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Put up a camera, catch him in the act, take it to police.

Good luck.
    Agreed. There are tons of good wifi cameras and security cameras you can get ahold of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    You guys are all right. I figured I'd get the enabling responses to beat his ass. But nah. You're all right, I will handle it legally. Though the investment of having to buy a camera AND leave it running all night just to catch a scumbag in the act is not something I thought I'd ever have to do given the quaint suburb I live in. I moved out of New Haven, CT for much worse reasons, (one of the worst crime cities in the country) and thought I'd be done with this bullshit.
    There's bastards everywhere dude. I live out in bfe all my life and it's always been quiet and safe around her. last year began a huge string of burglaries by criminals on bikes. Took months for the Sheriff's office to finally catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You could buy a locking gas CAP to replace the factory one. They require a key to remove. He might be able to pry open the door covering the cap, but he wont be able to pry off the cap. They look like this..

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10504-Lo.../dp/B000B8JUAW
    Get one of these and install it. Then go pour sugar down in that assholes gas tank.

15+ Year Old Account
    a ip camera that will record to your PC via your router is a cheap way to do it, there is a ton on the net.

Less than 100 bucks and he's done.

Ahh this brings back memories. When I went to high school and ran out of gas I'd jump the fence and steal fuel from my neighbors's car or bike. I got really good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by furriusmurrius View Post
    So this little shithead across the street thinks he can syphon my gas tank and get away with it. Hes a fat dumpy bastard and would definitely lose to me if it came to blows; I can't say I've ever particularly liked the kid, and whether or not he only got ~20 bucks of gas from my tank is not the point; it's the principle. Short of constantly monitoring my truck, I kind of want to catch the guy in the act or get back at him some way. Friends have already said dump sugar in his gas tank but that's me being the aggressor in the polices' eyes and the last thing I want to do is make myself guilty.

What would you do?

BTW. The gas cap is opened via a lever in the car; it's locked otherwise. Theres a nice gash by the gas tank where the little shit used a screwdriver to jimmy it open, so 'just get a locking gas cap' is out as far as options go.
    you catching him doing it doesn't amount to much more than you claiming he did it to police, get a hidden surveillance camera on your driveway that will show the side your tank is on.

Deleted
    Not sure what the law is on the US, but some countries have regulations on cameras and monitoring (for example you can monitor your door but you can't put a camera that monitors the road etc). So if you follow the camera advice that others gave you, make sure you aren't breaking any laws yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Camera is best, you can set them up via a webcam pretty easily.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Video camera, leave it pointed at your car, or catch him in the act and video tape him. Doing anything else is an idiotic waste of time that'll most likely end up with you being the one in trouble. After you have him doing it clearly on camera, show the police. You should be able to get restitution for whatever damage he caused to your car and whatever he stole.

Quote Originally Posted by JoErVoL View Post
    Not sure what the law is on the US, but some countries have regulations on cameras and monitoring (for example you can monitor your door but you can't put a camera that monitors the road etc). So if you follow the camera advice that others gave you, make sure you aren't breaking any laws yourself.
    I doubt there are many places where monitoring your own property is illegal.