Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And de-recoup that by paying for gas, as your cheap out-the-city place is nowhere near your job.

For myself, moving to the nearest town outside of my city, would increase my costs by roughly $500/month for gas and parking.
    The person is working a minimum wage job. They don't have to commute to their job in the city they just moved out of. Get a job where you moved to. Ta-da, savings.

I actually got paid to do my mortgage. Bank owed me $800 after everything was said and done. dont know why so dont ask me how but it just worked out with the type of loan i had. No money down AT ALL.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezrow View Post
    then move. its not like i live in the middle of nowhere. i dont live in chicago or new york or anything but its right outside of an actual city.
    God I hate having to have this moronic argument with people who don't understand shit about the labor market EVERY FUCKING TIME the topic comes up.

1: your experiences do not represent the whole of America.
    2: moving is expensive.
    3: job availability is not guaranteed
    4: employment is not guaranteed
    5: your experiences do not represent the whole of America.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Oh ya well if you aren't part of the 1% then you are just lazy!
    pfft, should have picked the 'billionaire' class at the character creation screen, damn noobs
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    This whole value of money being less thing because people are making a bit more hasn't panned out in our history of minimum wage increases or in any other nation that has minimum wage increases.

This thread is stupid due to people wanting to double their wages, but asking for more money to get closer to a livable wage is extremely fair and extremely beneficial to the economy.
    I absolutely agree with your point. I can see the minimum wage going to about $9.50, but that isn't what the majority of the movement is asking for... $15 is a ridiculous jump from the current wage. If a family of 4 can't make it on minimum wage maybe they should have not had children. If we want to spay and neuter pets to help with the overcrowding problem then how come we let Janeeka, Rosa and Sally May turn out 5 children a piece and give them welfare the entire time they do so?
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    You can rent a U-Haul for a few hundred bucks. Throw in another $100 for gas and you're looking at < $1000. You will easily recoup that by not paying city rent.
    Again, if you're poor, where the fuck are you going to get a grand?

And the travel expenses are the commute to a job. There aren't actually that many jobs in the suburbs and rural areas.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daez View Post
    You can't really compare USA to any other country in this regard. The USA is designed to allow people to make it to the top. That means there has to be a top. When there stops being a top then there is no emphasis to make it there. In other countries there really is no top.
    "One study comparing social mobility between developed countries[10][11][12] found that of nine developed countries, the United States and United Kingdom had the lowest intergenerational vertical social mobility with about half of the advantages of having a parent with a high income passed on to the next generation. The four countries with the lowest "intergenerational income elasticity", i.e. the highest social mobility, were Denmark, Norway, Finland, and Canada with less than 20% of advantages of having a high income parent passed on to their children.[11]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_mobility

I won't look further but I'm sure the countries with higher mobility also have higher minimum wages.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    Which I'd imagine more fast-food places would implement if all of the sudden their labor costs doubled and it became more economical to replace workers with machinery.
    wal-mart tried this. they're great until they aren't. they never really got past the "good if you only have a few things" stage

you don't go through self checkout with 50 items if you don't want it to take twice as long

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    does that 1% build and fix their own cars? does that 1% fly and maintain their own private planes? does that 1% design and build their own houses? does that 1% do their own taxes and keep up with their own accounting?
    Of course not. That's for the mongrels to do. Anyone that isn't 1% is a lazy piece of shit with bad genetics!

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously I love how people spit this bullshit about people not working and being lazy and taking welfare off the system are nothing but a bums, but that also people that do try to work like maybe a burger flipper aren't even worthy of being paid a fair wage because they should have had more sense to want to be a rock star or Kim Kardashian or some shit, and then people wonder where the fuck our values come from and why it is they seem to be in the toilet HAHAHA!

Either merely having money makes you worthy of success because you earned it or it doesn't,

This is an argument that will sadly be drowned in so much political rhetoric and emotional extremism that any truly reasonable outcome is highly unlikely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the skills to drive a locomotive and Ms. Fast Food Cashier you have the skills to deal with people....That immediately makes you more qualified to deal with the general public than I am. Here's your $15/hour.

Not emotional nor political - You have a valuable skill that I don't possess...You deserve more money for doing your job.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    So if 10,000 people moved to your town, you're telling me there'd be 10,000 jobs for them?
    Or are you saying that there are a finite supply of jobs and some of them require specific skillsets, so at some point, there may not be jobs in your town for people with X or Y skillset?
    If there would be, the increased number of humans would also increase the work needed in that area to sustain those people.
    Obviously it doesn't equal out when you pounce thousands of people in a place at the same time.

That does not mean that it is still relatively easy to find jobs such as gardening, farming, waste-collecting, etc which does not require MUCH knowledge, just a few days of trying it out.
    Just because someone is a advocate does not mean they are "too special" to get their hands dirty and do something else.

Tho I guess you don't get anything by thinking out of the box and doing something else in America, as they don't even have a minimum wage to support life.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2014-07-28 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Personally, I think everybody is wrong for putting down burger flippers or even marginalizing these people like that, what gives everybody else the right to devalue these people, or to assert that if that is all ones lot in life is as a human being that they don't matter, and aren't worth being paid fairly because of what YOU judge their life to be.
    My grandma told me once, Study hard so you do not become a ditch digger, not because you are above that if you want to dig ditches thats fine, because they get paid well, it's very hard work and you don't want very hard work if you don't have to do it.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

i worked at a mcdonalds for a year in the kitchen. i definitely would not say it was hard, i could man the grill solo on day one after someone showed me once how to lay everything down, very simple. it does get busy and that requires a lot of effort to stay ahead and keep the food fresh and whatnot. but then that always begged the question why do i try hard when this is not really real food anyway. 15 an hour? please.. they offered me manager for a whopping 8.25, if you do not know being a manager at a mcdonalds is basically just opening yourself up for waaaay more work, (in our case) a GM breathing down your neck about crumbs.. in a kitchen.. during lunch rush, and you are way more likely to be fired because if you are a manager they can literally blame anything wrong in the store on you and you're gone.

It would have been nice if there was a system in place to reward "good" employees (there were some guys who ran to the back to get inventory and stuff, probably just energetic people but still, that's above and beyond) but if I had started making more money than Employee B else who had been there a lot longer instead of taking the perspective that maybe Employee B could try a little harder they would just bitch and complain because this is the world most of us live in.

15 dollars an hour will never happen and if it does it will not have good side effects. As mentioned an order taker is very easily replaced by a touch screen with pictures and a well designed flow. Kitchen workers should get more money, they are the ones doing any physical labor, constant temperature change from grill/fryers to open windows/freezers.. more chance of injury from burns. I would argue Order takers need more money because they have to deal with people and not just people but.... people who eat at mcdonalds in person people, people who dress up for wal mart people, people you wouldnt give the time of day because they can't understand english language sentence structure (born and bred in america) but you just replace them with a machine and that would theoretically be way better but then these people i've mentioned wouldnt know how to work the godamn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Fuck the self service machines with a JCB :/ Once again went to use them the other day as I was just getting 2 bottles of water and a multipack of crisps.....self service machine fails to account for the 2 for 1 offer on the water so I have to get an assistant over to sort that out then it claims I have unverified items in the bagging area, call the assistant again to sort that and finally manage to pay and leave the store. Would of been at least twice as quick to just queue in a normal 1 basket only checkout lane :/ One day I will learn though and refuse to use the bloody things
    Been using self service tills at supermarkets for years. They are very easy to use and allow you to scan coupons, vouchers etc. The only people I see having problems with them are the Elderly, or younger people who are very new to technology or who are very slow learners.

For most people, self service tills are quick and easy, means less time queuing and a greatly improved shopping experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    To Fast Food Workers:
    If you are willing to work an $8 job, you are worth $8. Strike or STFU.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    Been using self service tills at supermarkets for years. They are very easy to use and allow you to scan coupons, vouchers etc. The only people I see having problems with them are the Elderly, or younger people who are very new to technology or who are very slow learners.

For most people, self service tills are quick and easy, means less time queuing and a greatly improved shopping experience.
    they're cheaper, they're not faster. if everyone used them you're spending the same time in a line but the store makes more of a profit since they're not paying an hourly wage

when that red light starts flashing and you're shit out of luck and have to get in another line, wait for help, etc, they officially become inferior TO THE CUSTOMER

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by echoSAW View Post
    This is an argument that will sadly be drowned in so much political rhetoric and emotional extremism that any truly reasonable outcome is highly unlikely.
    Emotional yep, people living out like slaves because some people think their pay isn't important is bound to be a grown up serious topic, and I think it deserves examining our values and where we place Work or Working hard and what that all means as it relates to money and of course status and in some peoples cases worthiness of one kind of life over another.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post

Yet they are manned by 2-3 people working and usually are in sets of 4... so?????? Faster exiting, same amount of people.
    And those people working are skilled to take over front end operations in a pinch too and get regulated to bagging when there is a rush.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.