Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It looks like a font from WordArt circa Windows 98.

The font choice says Starcraft more than Warfraft, I feel. I don't HATE it, I just don't particularly like it either.

It looks a little starcraft-ey
    Warcraft already has one
    It looks and probably is an early graphics rendering in PS or something
    It is as bland as the transformers one which is extremely important to marketing in terms of brand recognition
    Tells the none warcraft fan nothing about what to expect

Its just a very average piece of graphics design work. It oesnt convey anything nor is it overly garish. Its bland enough to be forgettable and in aavertising thats worse than being a mess, a mess still generates word of mouth and keeps it in peoples heads.

And personally? eh i dont know why but its "using the name but not at all matching the tone" appearance is giving me flashbacks to "final fantasy" the spirits within..

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    I'd like a source to this moronic quote.

On topic, I agree with the logo being stupid, I guess they changed the logo because they wanted to appeal to an audience outside of the already existing Warcraft fanbase with a more modern and special (although on the contrary it's generic) logo. I don't think it'll work.
    How is it a moronic quote? Blizz said 100 million people have played wow and now they have 7 odd.

They should really have used they normal logo imho. A nod to people who play the games and people who have never heard of warcraft won't care either way. Is the tone of the movie going to be dark n' gritty? I guess that could be a good reason to change it.

15+ Year Old Account
    why?because the font looks more like starcraft than warcraft,also coloring,blue steel sounds like space,make it reverse,blue steel getting burned into that dark metal with some fire around and already looks more warcraftish.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    How is it a moronic quote? Blizz said 100 million people have played wow and now they have 7 odd.
    Because the subs have never varied by an amount to support a 10 to 1 ratio.

I guarantee people quit when every expansion launched, if that ratio was even remotely accurate the game would look at lot more like its competitors with hundreds of thousands of subs, not millions.

I get what your saying, and I get that the original quote is likely an exaggeration as well so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=megG...382kte-fQHqMNw

Look at that dislike bar, it's massive!

Why do people care so much about a logo, it's jut a logo after all :/
    Because that is going to attract the wrong audience.
    It is firstly not going to attract much interest yet from non-wow or non-mmo players.
    And those who are happy with something are far less likely to share their opinions, but those upset with something insist on sharing their opinions with as many as possible, whether we want to hear it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Because the subs have never varied by an amount to support a 10 to 1 ratio.
    Don't shoot the messenger. Blizz said they have had that many players plus it is not really relevant to the OP.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like they went with a Starcraft font by accident.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

15+ Year Old Account
    Guess I should explain what I meant since people have taken it in different ways.

OP asked why people care about a logo, they care because logos can be a big deal. Logos, icons, jingles--branding. It matters, no matter how silly or pointless it may seem. Companies will spend hundreds of millions hiring hoards of graphic designers from different companies, all at the same time, in the search for something that sticks. People care about them the same way they care about McDonald's over Burger King: they think one is better. Or, rather, they think one is worse. Back to branding, this is completely different from what warcraft has had for decades and it feels a little disjointed, like "selling out", same as when a band tries a similar-but-different style. That thing they recognize and feel some tiny connection with changes and it's weird, almost like losing something. There's a reason companies don't stray too far when they update these things or go for new looks; there's always a serious fear of antagonizing customers.

Personally, I don't care, but I think the logo is trying to be sleek and comes out kind of generic. I understand the need to update and modernize the original, but think that can be done without removing its character and history.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2014-07-28 at 03:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    This was posted in a thread a few days ago:
    <_insert logo remake here_>
    BOOM! Someone just did a favor for Blizzard. Much better.

If you haven't noticed, the WoW community seems to be quite whiny. I won't say more whiny than other communities because I don't have much exposure to others, but people here will complain about EVERYTHING. You can bet that if a change is made, they will complain. Even if they go back on the change or make it better, now Blizz is being a flip-flopper. You see the same thing in politics. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People just like to complain.

Sometimes it's warranted, but it seems like mostly it's just whining for no reason.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its the internet, everyone hates everything.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Mostly because it's suggesting that everyone who quit WoW did so because they hated where it was going. Hated. Ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    The font choice says Starcraft more than Warfraft, I feel. I don't HATE it, I just don't particularly like it either.
    Couldn't have put it better myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Mostly because it's suggesting that everyone who quit WoW did so because they hated where it was going. Hated. Ridiculous.
    well... at least 70 million did, maybe the other 30 million quit because of money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    well... at least 70 million did, maybe the other 30 million quit because of money?
    Seriously? How would you know anything about that? There's so many reasons for people to quit that it's impossible to know for sure why "everyone", or even a majority, quit.

That said, saying that 70 MILLION people HATE where WoW is going is so very ridiculous that I'm not sure you even understand what that number (not to mention the word 'hate') means.

I had not noticed all the dislikes on that video. Thanks for letting me know, now I've added my own dislike. Hopefully if enough people express their dislike for the logo they will change it. It should use the proper Warcraft font. I have no idea why they thought they had to change it. Why would this font appeal more to newcomers to the Warcraft franchise? Brand recognition is important, and apart from wanting all Warcraft fans to go see the movie they probably want to attract newcomers to other media forms the franchise is active in, i.e. games, books and merchandise. And since all the rest uses the same logo... not using the same logo (or at least the same font) for the movie is just stupid.

Dislike = hate?

Most of the people on these forums are seemingly here just to hate on anything warcraft related.