Quick switching question:

Hellow fellow mmo-ers,

I have a question for the network engineers!

Lets say I have 7 computers, and I want those 7 computers to be connected to a switch (a hp procurve for instance). The computers must not be able to talk to eachother, so I create vlan 1 to 7 and untag one of those onto each port. However, they all need to be in the same management vlan(10).
    I think this would work having 2 switches and untaging vlan 10 at the uplink port to the second switch. (untagging would cause all traffic being sent from switch 02 to switch01 to be accepted into the same Vlan10?) And on switch02 create vlan 1 to 7 and vlan 10 for management.

I have been thinking about it this way:

Switch01 Uplink port (untagged Vlan10)<-------->Uplink port(untagged Vlan10 and tagged vlan 1-7) Switch02 Port 1 (untagged vlan 1) <---->PC01
    Port 2 (untagged vlan 2) <---->PC02
    Port 3 (untagged vlan 3) <---->PC03
    Port 4 (untagged vlan 4) <---->PC04
    Port 5 (untagged vlan 5) <---->PC05
    Port 6 (untagged vlan 6) <---->PC06
    Port 7 (untagged vlan 7) <---->PC07

Would this cause the pc's on switch02 to be unable to communicate with eachother but still be in the same vlan at switch01 because it came in on an untagged port?

I hope my question is clear to you guys

Kind regards,
    Orash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender.* You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    no offence to anyone, but asking advice about girls on a WoW forum is not a good idea

10+ Year Old Account
    That's an advanced question :O
    My LAN knowlegde is not so deep to be able to help with VLAN's, I do what you described on router level.

Also this sounds like too complicated of a solution, what is your goal here?
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-07-29 at 05:12 AM.
    PM me weird stuff :3

I'm confused, are you asking if two hosts on different switches but in the same VLAN can communicate with each other? Answer is yes if the two uplinks on the seperate switches are tagging the respective VLANS, which I think you are doing. However, in order for hosts to communicate to other VLANS, they need some sort of layer 3 device.

Quote Originally Posted by Manbanana View Post
    I'm confused, are you asking if two hosts on different switches but in the same VLAN can communicate with each other? Answer is yes if the two uplinks on the seperate switches are tagging the respective VLANS, which I think you are doing. However, in order for hosts to communicate to other VLANS, they need some sort of layer 3 device.
    The problem that I have which needs a solution is:

I have 7 computers, those 7 may never communicate with eachother.
    However all 7 computers need to connect to the same managing vlan. So what I figured for this was place a switch and create 7 vlans for the computers. Then on the switch with the managing Vlan I wanted to untag 1 port with the managing vlan, basicly meaning all traffic going in and out on that port wil land in the managing vlan. To that port I would connect the new siwtch with the 7 computers.

I can put it in another way,

If I have a switch: managing switch with the management vlan untagged on port 24 for instance,
    and add a new one with managing vlan untagged and vlan 1 to 7 (for 7 seperate computers) tagged would that make all traffic enter the managing vlan on the managing switch? But still keep the computers unable to speak to eachother on the newly added switch with 7 seperate vlans?

Thanks for the replies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender.* You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    no offence to anyone, but asking advice about girls on a WoW forum is not a good idea

Maybe use the switch as a simple bridge and set the computers into different subnets on router level?