Upgrading very low end computer to be moderately less low end

What it has:
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7310
    CPU: AMD E1-1500 APU
    Ram: 6 GB ram
    Win 8

It runs WoW at lowest settings right now better than I thought it would, but it's obviously still choppy and not anywhere near ideal. This is my nephew's computer and I'm just looking to upgrade what I can, at the cheapest cost possible to get WoW at a more playable level. I was just hoping for some ideas on my best route to go. I know how to swap out video cards but a processor is something I'm not as comfortable with.

Hopefully this is enough information, and thanks in advance for any advice! I was originally just going to take it to a computer shop and see what they thought, but I had a feeling I'd get more help here.

Last I recalled this is a laptop correct? If so I'm assuming some kind of HP pav? If it's a laptop your out of luck as you can't upgrade it and I believe that APU is soldered onto the mobo.

Nope, it's just a really cheap desktop computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is generally processor limited. With that build, you're really just better saving up and rebuilding your computer when you have sufficient funds.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is the rest of the system? The Power supply and case? If it's all standard stuff, you could probably get away with about a $200 upgrade to get it playable.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    You will need, at minimum, motherboard/CPU/video card. This is assuming your RAM is DDR3 and the power supply is good enough to power a new video card.

Worst case scenario, you will need a new power supply also.

Ok, I feared that. Thanks everyone! I was hoping I could just throw a $50ish vid card and cpu at it and it'd be enough for now, but looks like he'd have to upgrade completely afterall. Thanks again.

Your looking at a ~$150-200+ upgrade for a CPU, Mobo, GPU and any other parts that would need replaced(PSU, Memory, etc).

What is the model of the computer you got? It should have a sticker on it somewhere or if you can find it at where it was purchased(pretty sure those kind of desktops are purely sold at places like Office Depot/Staples/etc), a link would be work as well.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Metzelei View Post
    What it has:
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7310
    CPU: AMD E1-1500 APU
    Ram: 6 GB ram
    Win 8

It runs WoW at lowest settings right now better than I thought it would, but it's obviously still choppy and not anywhere near ideal. This is my nephew's computer and I'm just looking to upgrade what I can, at the cheapest cost possible to get WoW at a more playable level. I was just hoping for some ideas on my best route to go. I know how to swap out video cards but a processor is something I'm not as comfortable with.

Hopefully this is enough information, and thanks in advance for any advice! I was originally just going to take it to a computer shop and see what they thought, but I had a feeling I'd get more help here.
    With win 8 i'd say upgrade the Ram some and if you can afford to get a GTX 760 or 770. Not sure how fast that processor is though.

It is a 1.48Ghz Dual core that throwing a $200+ 760 into would be just insane, they need a better CPU before anything else.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

scrap it.....go intel....intel is the only way to go for laptops....unless you find a kaveri a8-7600.

Take the license from the laptop and make a little desktop with i3. imo...

If you want a cheap outdated computers you can try overstock.com....some can be good deals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skitszo View Post
    scrap it.....go intel....intel is the only way to go for laptops....unless you find a kaveri a8-7600.

Take the license from the laptop and make a little desktop with i3. imo...

If you want a cheap outdated computers you can try overstock.com....some can be good deals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metzelei View Post
    Nope, it's just a really cheap desktop computer.
    /3short5me

did some research on this little computer.

Its a 2 core very small cpu. not much in the way of l1 l2 cache.

unfortunately its a solder into place processor so you can't swap out the chip.

you have more then enough ram.

you could try to google and watch some vids about overclocking....but others say there.s not to much point in trying....

The best advice i have for you is that there isn't much you can do other then trying to keep the computer clean and trim.

1)CCleaner- free download from filehippo.
    2) Auslogics disk defragmentor- free.
    3) make sure you have the most current up to date drivers goto the manufacture website.
    4) malwarebytes
    5)run msconfig utility-- do a windows 8 google search to learn more
    5a) turn off all the start programs you know you can run manually. most programs aren't needed to boot up every time.
    5b) goto the services tab/ check "hide windows services"/ then look thru the rest of the services and turn them off if you know you don't need them. I usually turn them all off, but some antivirus won't turn off or won't work after, and it can also mess with printing configurations. trial and error.

push comes to shove you can do a new OS install.....

They can only do so much with a CPU that weak, the damn thing was made for laptops after all.
    Their best option(IMO) to get better performance is to sell the damn thing for $100-200 and throw it at another desktop. You can find off-lease desktops(used by companies for a set period than returned, cleaned up and re-sold) with ~2.5-3.2Ghz core 2 duos and ~2-4GB of memory for around $100-130 and that would do a hell of alot better than what they have now. Add a low-power+low-profile GPU(like a R7 240) and you should be good