• No

23 13.07%
  • Still undecided at this point.

8 4.55%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It definitely should be placed on the same level as a utility. Could we survive without electricity? Sure, but that's typically seen as a sign of poverty if you don't have it. The internet probably doesn't scream "poverty" but it helps get out of that for sure.

I can't tell you how many businesses use taleo. It drives me up the wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    A want, you can live without it.

For some jobs and things to exist, it's a need. For people to merely survive, it's still obviously just a want. I would say that you miss out on a lot if you don't have internet, so if that's what you are getting at, then sure it's a "need". In the literal sense no.
    Stay salty my friends.

Deleted
    In the west "a need" in the sense that to operate in various parts of the society and get all the services and information available it's a need, elsewhere not so much - except in certain extremely advanced industrial nations like say Japan etc.

Deleted
    "Would you like tea or coffee?"
    "Yes."

Makes no sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im a little confused, so if you vote no that means that I want to have the internet?

I guess I need the internet a little less than I need booze, because I can use the internet for free at work. So I'm going to vote no....right?
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2014-07-29 at 11:09 AM.

Deleted
    I need it for work, without the internet i wouldn't have a job

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    "Would you like tea or coffee?"
    "Yes."

Makes no sense.
    So yes is need and no is want or the other way round?

Deleted
    It's a matter of efficiency, and even as the owner of an international business, it's still a want.

From a business perspective, or at least my business(Import/Export primarily as well as property and construction), it isn't necessary but it certainly helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    This poll makes no sense, getting asked about if its a need or a want and the poll options says yes or no, yes or no to what?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    This poll makes no sense, getting asked about if its a need or a want and the poll options says yes or no, yes or no to what?
    "Is the Internet a need?" Yes, No, Undecided.

Yes is a need, No is a want. Not really that hard to deduce..

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Imagine all the things you did 10 maybe 20 years ago, and now think of today, or maybe even project 10 to 20 years from now, is the Internet a NEED?

Bare in mine I don't mean videos or even social media, but I am talking about all the things you need to get done.
    its the best tool humans have atm to get the world to gravitate toward civility instead of remain in barbarism... take that for what its worth i spose...

Depends on circumstances - I know for me it is a need, without it I'd have no job, food or home.

Deleted
    It's a need at home and at the office. It hardly is on mobile though.

I'd consider it to be a borderline necessity at this point. My internet cut out on Saturday due to a fault and only got fixed today - and despite it only being a couple of days without a connection I realised just how important the internet has become. A growing number of services requite a stable internet connection and it's just generally a lot more efficient.

As an example I don't need to buy a newspaper or have one delivered - I can simply look online and access up-to-date news with a simple click. It's not as essential as food, water or warmth but at the same time it's a massive incovenience to not have access to the internet in the present day.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    Apparently 3 people who responded to my last post think that:

• People can't live without internet. Heaven forfend the thought. I wonder how long a "normal" person can survive without it.
    The degree to which one needs internet depends on the surrounding society. And it's not about mere survival. If survival is the standard, we don't need a lot of things. It's also not about regular day-to-day activities. It's about what the rest of society assumes you have. If it's assumed that everyone has internet, it's perfectly reasonable to only post certain info on a website (contact info, office address, etc.) If you don't have internet access, you will have a hard time accessing services available.
    • Poor people can't be happy without internet or are unhappy in general just because they are poor. Oh noes, there goes like half the world.
    It's also not about happiness. Four years ago I was unemployed and looking for a job. I went to job fairs. Universally, all of the employer reps were just there to pitch their company, list what positions they were looking to fill, and provide the website and instruct people to create an account and apply that way. Internet access won't make poor people happy. It will provide access to opportunities that might help them not be poor.
    • That all rural areas are like those found in developed countries. You know, every rural area in the world has high speed hot-spots along with the typical Walmart, KFC, etc.
    And not all urban areas are like those found in developed countries either. The degree to which one needs internet depends on its prevalence in the rest of society. Where internet access is not assumed, other infrastructure and methods exist to serve whatever purpose. As a new technology spreads and its adoption becomes assumed as universal the previous technology withers and falls out of use for that purpose. Then you either get on board or lose access to something you had before.

Is the internet a need or want, poll options yes, no, undecided. Not sure how to respond.

A want for some need for others.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I am just waiting for something like the 2012 solar super storm miss (as reported by NASA) to destroy most of the technology just to watch everyone flap their arms around not knowing what to do without the "oh so precious internet". It is a need because most technology revolves around it.

/tinfoil hat for me and my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    You can live without a lot of things, shoes, clothes, a house...
    Yeh and if you can live with out them they are not a NEED.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    "Is the Internet a need?" Yes, No, Undecided.

Yes is a need, No is a want. Not really that hard to deduce..
    That is not the question though is it? Is the internet a need or want? Yes or No.

The internet is a need to function properly in today's society, but it is not a right to have access to it.
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.