Thread: Mob tagging LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    This shit is frustrating, I'm blind and play with an xbox 360 controller and hate people who make macros and shit to tag stuff, it's unfair, I love how rift approaches this. I might actually go play rift if WoW doesn't fix their social gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    There is no way you're going to convince me that every single person who declines a group invite for a quest named mob is really a good guy who happens to be in a dungeon queue, and not just someone acting like a jerk.
    Correct - but we need to ASSUME they are all jerks and treat them all that way, because that's called community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Correct - but we need to ASSUME they are all jerks and treat them all that way, because that's called community.
    The likelihood that a mob is going to kill someone in the short amount of time it would take for someone to type out "dungeon queue" when declining a group invite is next to nill. If someone won't take the time to at least do that much, they're just being rude.

I was quite glad when Blizzard added open tagging to a lot of named quest mobs, but they still haven't done it for all as far as I know. I've been on WoD beta, I've seen the way people act when they need to kill a quest named. People will keep streaming into the area where a mob spawns, but no one ever invites anyone else. Even if there was just one other person there first, they still won't say a word. They don't care to wait in line, they don't care to group up. They will run up and see people waiting and their first instinct is to just toss down their trap or their rain of fire and try to tag it first. Those mobs are actually open tagging but people don't realize it because their bar turns grey after someone tags it...you can still get your quest loot if you attack it though. People don't realize it and so instead of trying to aid each other, they try to compete with each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    Yes, I've made friends because of that before, when grouping with people farming in Tyr Hand like me...

My god, the old good time!

Please don't make WoW a game like GW2 where everyone single play and never care of anyone.

Open tag is okay for rares and unique quest mobs.
    Ha, that's like 8 years ago. Back when questing in groups was still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Well, they think that it encourages people to form groups. While in reality, all it does is to encourage spamming macros to get the tap first.

And to harass players, or trick them into losing the tap/credit/tag, or to insult them for getting first, etcetera.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BassZ1890 View Post
    Yep, take the PvP rare elites. If you tag one, people expect you to invite them or you are an asshole. If they tag it first its basically "Bugger off" even though they could easily invite you and you BOTH get credit. The majority of the player base are assholes and how Blizzard does not see this is beyond me.
    So Blizzard should force tools on the gaming population (that are already in place, but require player invitation) because people are assholes? That problem isn't going to go away by trivializing tagging mobs. People are still going to be assholes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    And to harass players, or trick them into losing the tap/credit/tag, or to insult them for getting first, etcetera.
    There is no active encouragement of any of those things. What part of the tag system 'encourages' a player to start hurling abuse at another player? A lot of blaming the system and not the people going on here. Whatever scapegoat you guys need I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post

There is no active encouragement of any of those things. What part of the tag system 'encourages' a player to start hurling abuse at another player? A lot of blaming the system and not the people going on here. Whatever scapegoat you guys need I guess.

It doesn't encourage it through malicious intent. It just does that due to a disconnect between a system and community it is for. It inadvertently encourages it. And yes, you can blame the community all you want, but unless the system is changed, they won't stop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Open tap is the best solution.
    Current gen MMOs: Open tap, everyone kill and everyone gets some benefit. It's fine, and it's not what causes the weird antisocial behavior all MMOs have anymore, but that's for another discussion.
    I can understand Blizzard's concerns when it comes to this (altough it makes me laugh due to incoherence, as portrayed by the op) but I agree with you.
    While it's true modern MMO often have this antisocial behaviour, I seriously doubt it's caused by the open tap lol.
    That might be part of process maybe, but if it is, it's probably a very small part imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Warhammer Online, Rift and Guild Wars 2 solved that problem a while ago - it's called public quests.
    You have a constant event in 3 or more stages. You help with that event (example: Phase 1: Murloc attack a town, kill the murlocs Phase 2: Chief Murloc attacks, kill him, Phase 3: help remove the murloc corpses - collect them). At the end people will get rewarded based on how much the helped. You get a very small and basic reward for just attacking a single mob and then go afk and the more you did the bigger your bonus is. At one point you may even have a chance to get epic loot or other special coins to buy loot from public quest vendors.

This system is social, works great, does not reward slackers, there is no mob stealing and all are happy.

Add FF14 to that list as well and I've played them all that used this system. Works fine and keeps a flow going for the most part.

Blizzard is just being unnecessarily stubborn on something simple as usual.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

7+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is so out of touch with the playerbase that it's not even funny. They have absolutely no idea what the game is like to the players. It really makes you wonder if they actually *play* the game. The problem with the developers can be summed up in two words: echo chamber.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Yup. Remember the warbringers? That was a complete disaster because players behaved like complete dicks.

Seriously after all I've seen in beta and reading some of their posts pretty much over WoW at this point. They are just old and have no clue where the genres going.

Don't worry tho Blizz, I'll still give u money in Heroes and Hearthstone, but I think I'd rather 50gb of space on my computer over WoW at this point.

It only sounds like an absurd excuse/reason to not change it because they are expected to justify not changing something. Mob tagging has already evolved as far as it needs to with Rares and Main quest mobs being share tagged. "Kill X number of mob Y" for no reason needs to be share tag...Especially now that all world mobs that are involved with a quest have linked respawns to always ensure a certain number of those mobs are available. As somebody who loves to farm, instant respawning quest mobs has been one of the nicest changes to the game lol.

Edit: I also think people are jumping into Beta quest zones the same night 5000 other people got an invite and wondering why they are fighting for mob tags...
    Last edited by Soulzar; 2014-07-29 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    It only sounds like an absurd excuse/reason to not change it because they are expected to justify not changing something. Mob tagging has already evolved as far as it needs to with Rares and Main quest mobs being share tagged. "Kill X number of mob Y" for no reason needs to be share tag...Especially now that all world mobs that are involved with a quest have linked respawns to always ensure a certain number of those mobs are available. As somebody who loves to farm, instant respawning quest mobs has been one of the nicest changes to the game lol.

Edit: I also think people are jumping into Beta quest zones the same night 5000 other people got an invite and wondering why they are fighting for mob tags...
    So...you say mob tagging is fine the way it is then go on to say people shouldn't complain when they have to compete with 5000 other people for tags. That makes no sense. You make it open tagging to stop the having to compete with 5000 other people on launch day.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ...Even in solo areas like daily quest hubs in Mists, we'd commonly see transient pickup groups form for the sake of efficiency, and stick together through that hub..
    Sure fucking love the group invite spam that you get in zones at times. Without a word, just spam invite and hope someone will let you leech off them..

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    For open tapping couldn't they just base loot off of damage done to the mob just to the point where A lock couldn't throw 2 dots on it then collect loot? Then remove this if the players are grouped? You, an ungrouped player take 12% of the mob's life. So you get a few measly coins and a smaller chance at quest items/grey items. If you're grouped, you don't suffer this penalty unless you attack another ungrouped players mobs.

Edit: I just figured out a flaw. A high level player or some dude in full heirlooms could easily take mobs away from groups via nuking the fuck out of them. To address this, perhaps they could also leave some elements of the current tagging system in. Or just simply only give a portion of loot to the person trying to jump in on the tagged mob.

Dafuq am I kidding Blizz won't see this and there will always be assholes that try to exploit the fuck out of you and your work. Just give open tagging with a bonus for being grouped. But not too big of a bonus, for that would mean Blizzard is enforcing their neo-nazi conservative liberal agenda by forcing people to group together, but not too small of a bonus, for that would mean Blizzard is a fat disgusting lazy money grabbing pig.
    Last edited by Shemsu Hov; 2014-07-29 at 06:31 PM.

Whoever made that decision clearly doesn't even play the game. I would bet all 3 of my testicles on that.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Whoever made that decision clearly doesn't even play the game. I would bet all 3 of my testicles on that.
    I'll double your bet and say that they either didn't have the imagination or the technology at the time, though if EQ did a damage based one then I'm sure they just lacked the imagination.

Deleted
    Is this "player runs by, throws a dot and waits for others to kill a mob" really a thing on some servers?
    I mean, sure, it happens...but from my experience very, very rarely and by NO means frequently enough to not have open tags.

The current system is fine.

I play on one of the highest populated servers of WoW, and never end up fighting for mobs, I dunno what game you are playing, but it's honestly fine. It promotes thinking and actively playing, and not zerging or leeching off others.

Rares and quest elites are all shared tag in WoD and that's fine, since those kind of things are what cause congestion or drama anyway. A random mob is not important.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest