Page 1 of 3
LastLast

is there a single person here who is an anakin fan?

Really pisses me off how almost everyone in the sw community says he is a wuss and hates him and it seems like more of a fad to hate him. People say he was spoiled by his mom... Did they miss the part that he was a slave? And don't even get me started on the whole "accept responsibility for your actions" argument cus its complete bull in this scenario. I'm a huge anakin fan and I am the only sw fan I have ever met who likes him. Which I guess is another point god uses to make me feel more lonely in this hell world.

Yeah if you really look at it he was completely screwed over by palpatine, palpatine deceived him and the entire republic, then the dark side of the force took over anakin. All he wanted to do was save padme because he was traumatized from losing his mom and palpatine used that against him.

People are idiots, most of those people spouting those philosophical black and white bs are just 12 year olds repeating what their uneducated parents say and the ones in their 30s+ who say those things totally missed the boat in life. It's really easy to judge someone when you aren't in their shoes. I too am an Anakin fan and I also agree people only call him a wuss because they are just sheep repeating what they hear - very few human beings actually have the ability to think for themselves.
    Last edited by bolnahalke; 2014-07-29 at 01:24 PM.

Anakins Character is great in the Clone Wars series and his story in the Movies was actually pretty good, the issue in the movies was the Actor.

Hayden Christensen ruined Ani.

Its not as much anakin as a character. Its the actors who played him that is the main source of the hate

jup, anakin would have been a great character, and he was good in the clone wars tv show
    hayden christensen really ruined him in the movie, although I am not sure if he or his acting capabilities are to blame or george lucas for picking him or giving terrible direction

Yeah I also see people say he didn't do a good job acting it, what are some examples? I thought he did a solid job. The only thing I can think of was a few cheesy lines from revenge of the sith but nothing significantly bad imo

Back in the days when SW: ep. 3 was in the cinemas a lot of my friends told me the movie is crap, they didn't like it etc.

I went and I saw it and I really disagreed with them, because I could really see the whole path to the dark side as realistic.
    Anakin as a talented guy with a big ego, Jedis trying to bring him down a notch, because he wasn't humble enough and he instead of doing what they wanted got generally pissed and ofc Palpatine prodding him into direction he wanted, from pride to hate.

To be honest I've seen enough people with their egos bigger than their skills to believe they'd possibly do the same in those circumstances, namely "I'm gonna show them all and kick their butts".

Jedis look like huge pricks sometimes. For example Obi-Wan in the ending would rather stare at Anakin burning alive in torment than deliver coup the grace, because "Jedis don't kill if they aren't forced to".

Yeah, I know it was necessary storywise to make him survive, still that's how Jedis roll...

Reminds me when I played SWTOR MMO and in one dungeon there is an infected person turning into Rakghoul and begging us to deliver the killing blow, the "light side" option is to actually deliver the death that person is asking for, yet my companion, wannabe Jedi Ashara disproves of that choice (yes I have a light side Sith Sorcerer, because I found it more fitting for a healer to not be a cruel bastard).

Or the Jedi rules against feelings and relationships and then you find lorewise quite significant amount of them had random romances or children...

It's not surprising at all that if a rule is too strict or detached from reality people will break it and will also start questioning other rules and the system altogether, for example what we see IRL with catholic church rules with celibacy among priests or other strict sexual rules for people, we get various scandals and majority of believers with attitude "yeah I believe in God, yeah I go to church, but the rest of the rules, well whatever".

So yeah when Anakin got presented the choice "I'll make you powerful and you don't have to follow any stupid rules", no wonder he swallowed the bait, who wouldn't?

If I went by just the movies then yea, Anakin would be an extremely naive whimpy kid in my eyes. Once I went out into the EU his character seemed a bit more detailed and he actually was a pretty good character. I think the Clone Wars series did it the most for me though, really displayed him as how I imagined him to be.

I still don't understand how in Ep. III when Mace was about to kill and/or capture Palpatine, he said "that isn't the jedi way" but when Palpatine killed Mace he had no problem with it. KK
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

I prefer the movie anakin over the animated series because he is genuine. Sure the animated anakin is more tough like your generic hero, but seeing anakins struggle in the movies makes him more relatable and adds more depth to his character overall.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade Paladin View Post
    Anakins Character is great in the Clone Wars series and his story in the Movies was actually pretty good, the issue in the movies was the Actor.

Hayden Christensen ruined Ani.
    I disagree. George Lucas and the directors ruined him in the movies.

Deleted
    Yeah I don't blame Hayden either it was totally George Lucas and the shitty script.

"I hate sand, it gets everywhere"

Also his turn to the dark side wasn't at all believable and they left it all to the second half of the third movie to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Yeah I don't blame Hayden either it was totally George Lucas and the shitty script.

"I hate sand, it gets everywhere"

Also his turn to the dark side wasn't at all believable and they left it all to the second half of the third movie to do it.
    "Palpatine is evil, Anakin!"
    "Not from my point of view!"

Best movie scene ever!
    Last edited by Tradu; 2014-07-29 at 04:28 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

I personally LOVED the story of anikin form the movies.

I think where nost people develop the hate for him si that look at who he became ins Eps 4-6. I mean when we saw Vader step off that ship in Eps 4 we were all like OMG what a BADASS. The attitude and the way he Exudes POWER in Eps 4 was just true awesome.

Then we see him fight Luke in Eps 5 and 6 and his saber skils are like Wooohhhh damn his is a fighter.

THEN we get to Eps 1-3

This is where the HATE comes.

We see a 10-12 year old boy who knows nothing of the outside linved a sheltered life as a slave and whos mom ALWAYS didher best to make sure he was happy. Was he spoiled HELL NO he is a slave for kraps sake. Yea Watto did good for him but because he did good for Watto.

You tell me what 10-12 year old kid i THIS world will not sound whinny and sad and lonley when he is taken away from his mother, his home, his safety, his security. The kid was a KID and SCARED so of course he did not come of likethe BADASS he is.

Eps 2: He was TOLD that it is HE that would bring balance to the Force. It was HE that would be the saving grace of the force. HE has the HIGHEST midiclorian count of ALL Jedi. YOU tell me what tween brat will NOT let all of that go to his head. Would NOT get drunk with ego trippin. Would NOt think he is the BADEST of the bad.

OF Course he is going to whine and cry and act like a wo year old when his Jedi parents tell him to stop acting like GODS gift to the force and reign him in.

Eps 3: HELL yea he said FUCK the Jedi and go on his own. He was SCARED of losing this WIFE and his children of COURSE. He is STILL being borught down pegs by those higher than him and thinking that he is BETTER then them.

Though the Actor I agree prolly coulda been better chosen Hayden played the crying tween brat who was drunk with power and no way to release that power in a very good way.

I myself think that his story was played out rather well. 1-3 had shown his slow rise to the Dark Side and the attitude of why he turned out the way he did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't speak for the Clone Wars, but the Anakin of the Prequels was a terrible character, badly acted and poorly written.

However, Darth Vader remains among my favorite villains of all time (only slightly less scary than Gustavo Fring)
    Putin khuliyo

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesket View Post
    I prefer the movie anakin over the animated series because he is genuine.
    ...There is nothing genuine about the performance of Anakin from the movies unless you are talking about the kid and not Hayden. How Lucas managed to take pretty normal and even some phenomenal (Ewan and Natalie) actors and turn them into awkward delivery robots is beyond me. It was the most unreal performances I've ever seen and made the movies painful to sit through. All of the cartoons from Clone Wars are more believable than the entire cast of Ep 1-3
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    ...There is nothing genuine about the performance of Anakin from the movies unless you are talking about the kid and not Hayden. How Lucas managed to take pretty normal and even some phenomenal (Ewan and Natalie) actors and turn them into awkward delivery robots is beyond me. It was the most unreal performances I've ever seen and made the movies painful to sit through. All of the cartoons from Clone Wars are more believable than the entire cast of Ep 1-3
    Disagree. I throughly enjoyed it. Sure the whole "FROM MY POV THE JEDI ARE EVIL" was a bit "Lol" but honestly Hayden knows how to do both Light and dark. I'd say he knew what the heck he was doing. Now Lucas might of not done so well but I think people exxagerate how *bad* they claim it was. I enjoyed all of it. I understood a lot of the whole series.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

OP, if it makes you feel better, I like Anakin. I think most people hate him because people relate well to cynics, and Harry Plinkett made one of the most cynical shitty reviews of the prequels to ever exist, and during these reviews he criticized Anakin's character based on a bunch of misinformation and lies, so now the internet goes around parroting his review in place of their own opinions, because internet. His reviews are even worse than the Spoony Experiment.

Edit: Huh, just learned from wikipedia that Harry S. Plinkett isn't a real person, he's a character played by Mike Stoklasa. Maybe that's why he comes off as retarded, bad acting. I guess nothing about those reviews was genuine, not even the reviewer.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2014-07-31 at 02:07 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I think people exxagerate how *bad* they claim it was.
    Lol. You can compare that dialogue delivery to the entire breadth of motion picture history to see how awful it was. There is nothing embellished about it. You can even compare just the specific actors to the way they act in every single movie other than that one to see how much more talent they have that wasn't used. It's the most surreal thing I've ever seen in cinema performance in my entire life.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    I watched Ep1 when I was 10, so Ep2 and 3 weren't that bad for me. I enjoyed the hell out of them. That being said, I remember getting the Special Edition of Star Wars when I was 8.

I like Anakin, he is what happens when you take someone who has already had to make life choices and train them to be a Jedi. He has his own moral code at that point, which leads him to do roguish in the eyes of the council. It doesn't help that Qui-gonn and Obi-wan are both considered radicals among the Order as well. But from the movies alone, we can see why he goes behind the Order's back and starts a family. When he prevents Mace from killing Palpatine, and then Mace proceeds to be thrown from the building. He realizes what he has done and cannot go back to the Order. The Dark side is a slippery slope, when you make that choice, you usually go in full throttle.

But if you watched the Clone Wars series. You can see why he doesn't trust the council or the Order. Their entire handling of Ashoka is what probably broke him from their beliefs. They condemned her without trying to find evidence that says otherwise, then they want to have her back when it wasn't her fault.

Yoda had a vision of the Order falling. Yet he didn't take any steps to prevent it from happening.

Hayden Christensen was fine. George just can't write for shit. Like seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Yoda had a vision of the Order falling. Yet he didn't take any steps to prevent it from happening.
    Anakin had a vision of his wife dying, and he took steps to prevent it. That turned out super well!
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.