Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The new ship skins look fricking amazing, especially the pirate one. I hope they add decals soon too.

So how would you compare this game to like say X3 or something? Do you think it is wroth getting now? I have been hearing some mixed things about this game.

If you enjoy flight sims you will enjoy this. The last sim I played was Flight Sim 10 and that was years ago.

This game does not have a predefined progression system. The game really is about you setting your own goals and finding ways to meet those goals. I think the majority of bad reviews out there because people might feel aimless without being guided. I'll admit I felt a little aimless the first day or so but I quickly got into bounty hunting and have developed goals since.

The majority of complaints about flight in this game is that it tends to be "too authentic". The landing process can be complicated or tedious because you're often flying into terminals with npc's and players coming and going. Another common complaint is that it's too easy to overshoot your mark whilte traveling and then you have to back travel for another minute or so. All it takes is a little practice and attentive flying and none of this is an issue though. We are in space and they tried to simulate what space travel would be like and it feels good.

The game has flaws but they have released two minor patches in the last month already and a major patch is going to beta shortly. They are showing promise in being committed to keeping this game going.

I would still recommend this game easily.
    Last edited by Drummerboy; 2015-01-18 at 01:06 AM.

ELITE : DANGEROUS IS COMING TO THE XBOX ONE IN 2015

Huge news. All users will be in the same galaxy but may not be in the same instances.

The announcement from Braben himself...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=121383
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2015-03-04 at 08:58 PM.

Deleted
    Always thought about trying Elite: Dangerous.

The only thing that holds be back is the fact i loved different games when i played the original Elite.

I am super excited for the Wings system this month. The biggest complaint I had about this game was the really terrible multiplayer support. Not being able to effectively pirate hunt together was easily the greatest reason my friends and I don't play this more.

picked this up. tried using mouse and keyboard.... mother of god... went off to find a joystick or something instead.

Learning how to navigate and all that, going to be a long time figuring shit out.

Deleted
    So this is basically a very shallow single player game with no single player story campaign, marketed as an MMO. Basically just a crappy Freelancer or X2 game without story, where sometimes you may see another player.

Quote Originally Posted by I dunno View Post
    So this is basically a very shallow single player game with no single player story campaign, marketed as an MMO. Basically just a crappy Freelancer or X2 game without story, where sometimes you may see another player.
    The game is as deep as you make it.

You are obviously very shallow and need rails to guide you along in a story. Please go find your Dragon Age in space. The rest of us will zip around the galaxy and behold the glory of space.

So the new Wings update fixes every major issue I had with the game. My friends and I can now officially play the game together. We can now explore the universe together and not have it be a huge pain in the ass. We went from hanging around the Obambivas system to the Liaedin system in Empire space. The very first USS we found was a wing of 6 Mafia guys with a Master rank Anaconda in it. After splitting the bounties we each made about 150,000 credits from this 1 USS. While making the 50+ jumps to this new system we also discovered this place... http://www.solstation.com/stars/gl876.htm

I did not even know it was possible for a planet to be this close to a sun.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    picked this up. tried using mouse and keyboard.... mother of god... went off to find a joystick or something instead.

Learning how to navigate and all that, going to be a long time figuring shit out.
    Xbox controller works well too

I started playing again over the weekend and got some rares trading done. It provided enough cash for me to finally buy my Asp! Damn, this thing is amazing to fly after you've been stuck with a Type 6 for a while.

Deleted
    Shallow game? Those words are too deep for this game.

Guess you've really delved into it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Guess you've really delved into it.
    He does have a good point though. While I love playing this on my Oculus with my HOTAs setup (the immersion!), the actual gameplay is very shallow (barring the awesome flight-models). The combat is quite nice, but the mining, trading and exploring are not exactly 'deep' mechanics at all in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I finally picked it up and it does give me the same feel I had with Elite and Frontier. Progression might be a little too steep though. 300,000 for a Cobra? Yikes. Does seem a bit too shallow compared to the earlier games but that may be my mind playing tricks on me. What's the next ship in line, the Adder at 80 grand? Or am I thinking about the Asp?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

the cobra and viper are both kinda equal, the asp is a step up along with the vulture then there is still a bit of a gap between them and the python/fer-de-lance. I mean there is the fed drop ship but without the rank you can't buy it.

eagle/adder - 100k~
    viper/cobra 200-300~
    asp/vulture 4-6m~
    fed dropship/clipper 19-20m~
    python/orca/fer-de-lance 50-54m~
    anaconda 150m~

the progression is a little strange, the cobra can handle combat and exploration just fine there is very little that would require you to need a bigger ship. note that the bigger the ship the more it costs in insurance and repairs so you have to make more money by default to cover the upkeep. (along with setting enough aside to cover a full rebuy)

I recently sold my cobra for a vulture and it does more damage with the 2 bigger guns and the manoeuvrability is second to none. but it does cost about 550k for the rebuy as opposed to the cobra costing about 150 or 200.

I bought elite on a whim and was a bit disappointed at the overall depth of a thimble but after playing 1.2 i can only hope things keep going in this direction, now bounty hunting isn't so bad, even fighting in conflict zones can earn some creds i think i managed 2 mill yesterday over about 2-3hrs in low intensity sites. still extremely repetitive its hard to see past the grind more creds get new ship so you can grind more creds slightly quicker, your either grinding creds for the next ship bracket or your grinding creds to try to A fit the ship you currently have.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-03-17 at 06:03 PM.

I personally side with the Viper over the Cobra for combat prowess. I also got my Viper for 140,000 credits. Money can be a little slow to get at first, but once you get a ship that's at least decent at its role the money just increases exponentially. My friend and I made about 100,000 credits+ just in exploration data traveling from Obambivas to Liaedin in our Vipers just doing the basic sun/general scan. So I can only imagine that if you had a ship that was decked out for jump range then you could easily make a lot more money. Because of the new Wings update only 1 of us needs the discovery scanner. But we make most of our money bounty hunting and with our 2 decked out Vipers we can take on some pretty big targets. We're currently saving up to finish off upgrading our Vipers and then we're going to try and upgrade to Vultures while we work on gaining reputation with the Empire. But I'm also one of the players that gets SUPER involved with the story. So while I guess you could just boil the factions down to meaningless it doesn't feel meaningless while playing. I actually feel like I'm helping clean up this system. When we got here it was a low security system but after taking out a shit ton of pirates it's actually increases to a high security system. So I actually feel like I've mad an impact. Plus the developers said the next update is named "Powerplay." All we know is that it might have something to do with the factions and is a huge update. So I'm really excited to see what it is.

This is my current loadout...

Viper
    Hardpoints: F2 Multi-Cannon, F2 Multi-Cannon, E1 Beam Laser, E1 Beam Laser, Frame Shift Wake Scanner (my friend uses the kill warrant scanner), point defence.
    Lightweight Alloys
    A3 Power Plant
    B3 Thrusters
    D3 FSD
    E2 Life Support
    C3 Power Distributor
    C3 Sensors
    C2 Fuel Tank
    E3 Cargo Rack (Capacity 8)
    D3 Shield Generator
    E1 Basic Discovery Scanner
    C1 Fuel Scoop

10+ Year Old Account
    So trying some trading and, let me get this straight, its still writing down prices? I see the galaxy map has a trade filter but I've caught it being wrong before. Looked for a trading mod to keep track of prices and see there is none? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    So trying some trading and, let me get this straight, its still writing down prices? I see the galaxy map has a trade filter but I've caught it being wrong before. Looked for a trading mod to keep track of prices and see there is none? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?
    http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/